Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Dingle232

I am considering buying a second car, a fun car if you like, for weekends and just enjoying when I can. Naturally I know that these come with an element of risk which I'd like to try and mitigate a bit in terms of not buying anything that is notorious for problems or costly repairs.

I have always wanted a Mini and have seen a number of 2019 onwards Cooper S models that I am very tempted by as they are a riot to drive. All FSH with auto boxes (I want auto) and main dealer supplied - would these be a decent or a risky buy in terms of reliability? I have an excellent BMW/Mini independent garage very close to me if I had any issues or for servicing at reasonable cost.

Other options are an MX-5 except I am not entirely sure it's my thing and later models are all manuals. I believe they are very reliable though.

The criteria is preferably automatic, good to drive and powerful enough to have a bit of performance though doesn't have to be a licence loser.

Any thoughts on the Mini and other alternatives? Budget up to £20k.

Edited by Dingle232 on 21/04/2024 at 18:25

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Adampr

Post-2013 (and pre-2006) Minis are pretty reliable. They can be expensive to fix, though.

An obvious alternative would be an Abarth 595 or 695.

Equally, an Abarth 124 Spider is mechanically very similarly.to an MX5 but a bit more butch.

The Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ (basically identical) are available as an auto and will handle better than any of the above.

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - daveyjp

Auto will always take the edge of any performance, but add a Toyota GT86 to the list.

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - movilogo

What is a fun car?

What is your other car and why you can't have fun with it?

If driving on public roads, any car can be fun - its often psychology than mechanics.

Many modern cars have different modes (e.g. Sport) to make it bit more fun for spirited driving.

Of course, it won't turn a Toyota to a Ferrari.

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - skidpan

Equally, an Abarth 124 Spider is mechanically very similarly.to an MX5 but a bit more butch

Except it uses Fiat engines.

The Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ (basically identical) are available as an auto and will handle better than any of the above.

Someone local to us has a GT86 and it sounds like an old school CVT has been fitted. Must be a joy to drive, not. Why on earth would Toyota do that?

Edited by skidpan on 22/04/2024 at 09:05

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Xileno

On Autotrader there are currently 103 GT86 models for sale, 29 autos. Toyota must have thought it commercially viable. Not my idea of fun but if one does a lot of urban driving it might make more sense.

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Alby Back
I’ve been lucky enough to have had a lot of cars. Basic ones, utilitarian ones, sporty ones, convertibles, powerful ones and some that might I suppose in their time have seemed desirable for some reason.
However, the penny dropped for me a long time ago that it doesn’t really matter much what you arrive in, it’s what you do when you get there that makes a journey fun.
;-)
Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Heidfirst

Someone local to us has a GT86 and it sounds like an old school CVT has been fitted. Must be a joy to drive, not. Why on earth would Toyota do that?

They didn't. It's an Aisin-Warner 6-speed TC

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Gibbo_Wirral

If you're temped by an MX5 then a Mercedes SLK would be my recommendation.

I was looking at MX5s for a while but you really need to keep on top of the rust issues.

The SLK does have an issue with subframe rot - but there's a 30 year warranty on them that Mercedes is honouring at the moment. So no issues if you buy second hand (the only stipulation is that you need to have owned it for six months)

They're pretty much all autos too.

Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Metropolis.
Not everyone, well, not me, wants a staccato spec 10 speed. There is a certain satisfaction to be had in wringing out a long gear right the way through the rev range.
Fun weekend car - suggestions? - Manatee

The MX-5 Mk4 RF can be found in automatic.