Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Steveieb

This weeks car review in the Sunday Times by Jeremy Clarkson gave a 4.5 star award to the Mazda 3 Saloon and not the usual selection of super cars.

Not like the usual mini SUV with some kind of preposterous and unnecessarily complicated hybrid drive system or they are fully electric which is even more stupid he argues . Mazda has no interest in any of this nonsense . They just develop and perfect the ICE. First a compression ratio of 15 .1 combining the characteristics of the diesel and petrol engine.

Coupled with a simple switch that disables all the unnecessary beeping and named the “Everything off button.

And it’s available in Soul Red metallic which I agree is the best colour currently available on any car anywhere

So it’s the most amazing car in Britain not that you would notice it!

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - mcb100
Mazda3 is a nice car, and I’ve a soft spot for Mazda - they march to the beat of their own drum. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
Skyactive-X is a fascinating concept, that of a compression ignition petrol engine. It’s not quite true to say it’s not a hybrid as it has a 24V mild hybrid system, as well as a supercharger to provide the compressed air to attain the high compression ratio.
They’ve got the system patented, but I haven’t seen anyone else taking advantage of the technology.
Probably the most amazing car in Britain - alan1302

Mazda has no interest in any of this nonsense . They just develop and perfect the ICE.

You know that Mazda make a fully electric vehicle the MX-30?

Edited by alan1302 on 21/04/2024 at 21:44

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - badbusdriver

Mazda has no interest in any of this nonsense . They just develop and perfect the ICE.

On top of which, the CX-60 is (or can be had as) a PHEV (which presumably means the new CX-80 will be too), and of course there is the rebadged Yaris they sell.

And the rest of the range use a mild hybrid system.

The Mazda 3 is a nice car which I do like, but there is nothing about them which would have me use the word amazing in a description!

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Adampr

Don't forget the plug in hybrid version which uses a rotary engine as a range extender.

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - paul 1963

Think you've been well and truly shot down in flames Steve... :)

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - SLO76
Brilliant car. Hope someone can find a well cared for example that hasn’t been crashed, neglected or clocked in a few years time unlike my efforts to find a good Mazda 6 estate. Big fan of Mazda, I’ve owned several over the years.
Probably the most amazing car in Britain - movilogo

Mazda remained a niche brand in UK. They don't sell many cars and not many people are even aware that they exist.

Also it surprises me why they offer 6 years warranty in Ireland but only 3 years in UK.

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Steveieb

It may be that Clarkson was carried away with his delight for this new model and yes Mazda do produce an EV and hybrid , but the vast percentage of Mazda 3 s they sell around the world will be with this state of the art lean burn simple petrol engine.

He makes the point that in many parts of the world there is no point in lugging around a half hundredweight of batteries that can’t be recharged within a hundred miles .

But why overcomplicate matters like Honda with their Jazz and Civic , likewise Nissan with their epower where a petrol engine charges a battery which then drives the electric motors coupled to the wheels . Brings back memories of the Deltic powered locomotives of the seventies which were short lived .

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Bromptonaut

Brings back memories of the Deltic powered locomotives of the seventies which were short lived .

With the exception of the Western Region's Diesel Hydraulic ventures Diesel Electric was pretty much universal in UK railways post steam.

The Deltic was a fantastic loco and served for the best part of 20years until superceded by the IC125.

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Engineer Andy

Mazda remained a niche brand in UK. They don't sell many cars and not many people are even aware that they exist.

Also it surprises me why they offer 6 years warranty in Ireland but only 3 years in UK.

They were very much on the way up 20+ years ago when the first gen 3 and 6 sold well and were widely well-regarded for their excellent handling, helped by their tie-up with Ford no doubt, plus the MX-5 at the height of its popularity with its 2nd gen version.

Unfortunately for them, I was less impressed with the 2nd gen version of both those cars (on the styling side), plus they didn't really make much in the way of engine improvements (mostly reducing the CO2 emissions / VED groupings by remapping the engines to reduce performance) until the 3rd gen cars with their Skyactiv-G engines.

That they seemingly had significant reliability problems with their car diesel engines (most of which were shared with Ford, PSA and Volvo at the time) and RX-8 dented their reputation significantly in my view, as did the high variability of the post-sales support from dealerships and Mazda UK.

By then the above and the recessionary period seemed to permanently hit their sales figures, plus they didn't seem willing or able to compete with the bigger makes in terms of performance capability or range of models on offer, at least in Europe.

The current crop of Mazdas are generally lovely to look at (inside and out), decent to drive (if not exactly fast) and comfortable, for the most part. Not always the most practical, and from a good few accounts, having some electrical issues with the 3 and CX-30, which are heavily related cars.

They certain tick many boxes for my needs, especially the CX-30, whilst not as stylish as the 3, is far more practical with the combination of a decent sized (430L) boot and a big hatch opening. That they also still use a TV auto box that is smooth, reliable and fine on the efficiency front also helps. If only they could improve that reliability and the post-sales experience...

It certainly also would be nice to get that longer warranty!

Edited by Engineer Andy on 22/04/2024 at 18:55

Probably the most amazing car in Britain - mcb100
As entertaining a writer as Clarkson can be, and he’s probably good company away from his somewhat oafish TV persona, he’s not renowned for his grasp of detail….
Probably the most amazing car in Britain - Sofa Spud

With a re-style of the nose to make it less dramatic, the Mazda 3 would be a really nice looking car!