Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Ben McDonnell

My Vauxhall Astra J DY15UUP was purchased used in 2018.

I realised after purchase that with the standard cloth upholstery there is a seatbelt but no headrest provided for the rear centre (5th) passenger, which seems pretty dangerous but was legal at the time.

I was very concerned about this and research revealed that the leather upholstery version does have a centre headrest and pretty soon I found a 60% leather seatback on eBay with the extra headrest and easily fitted it to the car.

But now I find I am asked by insurers if the car has been modified. Does this count as a modification? If I answer “yes” on the online quotes I get a dropdown list but there is nothing like this mod presented as an option to choose, and if I select “body mod “ I always end up being told the car cannot be insured.

Can anyone offer advice? Specifically, if I do not declare as a mod do I risk invalidating the insurance? SAGA helpline were interested in the query but haven’t come back to me yet.

Unfortunately I didn’t keep the old seatback so that one is a non starter, and yes, although the car has since passed several MOT tests, I did fit the seatback myself at home. I will ask my garage about this tomorrow.

p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.25cm; background: transparent }

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - badbusdriver

But now I find I am asked by insurers if the car has been modified. Does this count as a modification? If I answer “yes” on the online quotes I get a dropdown list but there is nothing like this mod presented as an option to choose, and if I select “body mod “ I always end up being told the car cannot be insured.

Phone them up then!

Tell them what you did and why. I cant imagine it would make much, if any difference to the policy cost, but better to cover your own back.

If the original setback had the holes for a headrest but just not the headrest itself, that would suggest the extra headrest was an option. In that case, I wouldn't have bothered informing insurance. Also, if leather was an option on your SRI and you got complete set of seats front and rear, I probably wouldn't bother informing the insurer here either.

But as the rear seat back is part leather and (presumably) the rest of the upholstery is cloth, it is clearly a non-standard part. In the eyes of your insurer, I'd be fairly certain they would consider this a modification.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Ben McDonnell

Thank you, reply is helpful,

Btw I cannot see how to enable email notification of replies, would you know this?

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Xileno

The forum doesn't have that feature. It did years ago (about 2003) but it was turned off because of a security issue and never switched back on.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Ethan Edwards

As a general rule

Does it make the car faster? No.

Does it make the car more desirable to thieves? No.

Does it cause a dangerous situation eg obstructing your forward vision? No.

Therefore since it does none of the above, personally I wouldn't advise insurers.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - John F

As a general rule

Does it make the car faster? No.

Does it make the car more desirable to thieves? No.

Does it cause a dangerous situation eg obstructing your forward vision? No.

Therefore since it does none of the above, personally I wouldn't advise insurer

Agreed. Neither would I.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Bromptonaut

I would to be on the safe side.

We had a BX estate c1993 which had fittings for rear headrests but no actual headrests as they were not part of TGD trim. Bought one as an accessory so as to make the back more comfortable at a time when infant daughter was in the front in a rear facing seat.

Don't think I declared it as a mod, but perhaps I should.

A bit later, c1998, I had a Pug 205 Diesel as a station car which had, at some point, been fitted with a 205GTi steering wheel. One company, Admiral, refused to quote on that basis.

Liverpool Victoria said it was a non issue.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Adampr

Yes, I would declare it but in the expectation of them saying they don't care.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Brit_in_Germany

As there is a risk of you being involved in an accident with potentially people sitting in non-standard seats, the safest route would be to inform the insurance of the modification.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - leaseman

In my opinion, there are always risks in withholding any information from insurers.

No Ifs. No Buts. Declare any modifications.

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - John F

.....No Ifs. No Buts. Declare any modifications.

But it might be the case that insurance companies always load the premium of anyone who declares a modification, however minor.

If someone declares a modification it might be a sign that they could be the sort of person who might be more risk prone.

It depends on what can be classed as a modification under the vague definition available. A steering wheel cover? A louder horn? A different make or type of tyre from the manufacturer's recommendation? Could be a field day for lawyers. I would think the OP's proposed 'modification' would be an example of 'de minimis non curat lex'.

Edited by John F on 24/04/2024 at 11:25

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Miniman777

Anything non-standard varies from insurer to insurer in my experience.

I fitted wind deflectors to the windows my car with one insurer, was declared when changing to a new insurer who insisted they could only remain if they had been sourced AND FITTED by franchised dealer. How utterly crass and stupid? Deflectors now binned.

How does anyone know, with reasonable certainty, what mods/extras have been fitted by a previous owner and by whom and what might contravene an insurance company interpretation?

Another example, a friend bought a Mini, a previous owner added spotlights and changed the mirror caps from one colour to another =- basically cosmetic. He had a bump, and insurance co found online a pic of said car taken prior to his ownership without these alterations and initially refused to pay out as he'd not 'declared' modifications. His argument was as these were done by a previous owner whom he had no contact with as car was bought from a dealer, so how would/should he know? Ins Co backed down on Ombudsman threat.

What next, telling Ins Co, you've a fluffy dice air freshener?

Edited by Miniman777 on 24/04/2024 at 12:50

Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - elekie&a/c doctor
Couldn’t agree more . If the car comes out the factory with Dunlop tyres and you fit Michelins , is that considered a modification.
Vauxhall Astra J SRi - Extra headrest: Do I have to declare to insurer? - Bromptonaut
Couldn’t agree more . If the car comes out the factory with Dunlop tyres and you fit Michelins , is that considered a modification.

No. The specification is for a size and load/speed rating. Equal to or better and you're fine.

Different size, even if the rolling radius is the same, then it's a mod.