The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 9. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 22/04/2024 at 20:45

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Ethan Edwards

Test drove a used MG4 yesterday. Trophy Long Range 64kwh battery 270m range.

Seriously impressive car, lively drive. Well equipped, comfy and quiet. Seriously considering it.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - mcb100
What sort of mileage are you contemplating in the MG 4? I ask as they don’t have the reputation as the most reliable EV in the marketplace.
It’s not usually big stuff (battery/motor, etc), but bodywork and electrical ancillaries.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Ethan Edwards

Usual commute 75m round trip, occasional pop up to York. Used to do 20k a year pre Covid now 8k. My Mokka-e is handling this with aplomb. Pretty sure the longer legged MG4 will be fine.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - SLO76
Despite my ongoing criticism of EV’s and the UK’s woeful public charging infrastructure, our 40kw Nissan Leaf has now been with us for coming up on a year. We’ve done 12,000 miles in “Leo” the Leaf without any faults at all, beyond the handbrake binding a bit on wet days when reversing, it immediately frees off when you move forward - apparently a known issue with the Leaf.

It’s a very relaxing car to drive and extremely cheap to run. It was bought right so depreciation isn’t crippling unlike most EV’s and it’s very practical. I agree with Auto Trader when they voted it best city car. It’s a perfect second car. I get two days of commuting plus a bit of running around for £2.50 via our home charger and low cost off-peak electricity overnight.

It’s hopeless as long distance transport but that’s more down to the poor state of our public charging network, the Leaf’s Betamax charging connector and the grotesque cost of using privately owned public chargers which at 75/85p p/kwh are dearer than filling up with petrol or diesel. The car itself can sit happily at motorway speeds for the typical two hours or so you’d travel before needing a wee toilet/snack stop which in theory can be tied in with a wee 30/40 min fast charge, but in practice we’ve found chargers are all too often busy, offline or blocked by m****s.

To show how much I do actually like the car we have both agreed that we will always have at least one electric car on our driveway.