Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - SLO76
Well the new transport has arrived. A 47,000 mile 2018 Mercedes C200 SE Executive Estate auto has now pushed old Terrance the Toyota to the back of the driveway. Initial impression are positive. It rides very well, unlike most modern cars. It managed just over 50mpg coming over from Edinburgh and it has plenty of go when required - a rare thing with me.

The seats are soft and comfortable, the gear change smooth and it feels like it’ll be a good place to sooth away longer runs in which is really what it’s for. It’s much more refined than the old Avensis and far more efficient. It’s also been very well cared for with only one minor scratch that is really hard to spot. The car is very pleasing to look at inside and out.

However I don’t think the quality behind the scenes is as good as the old Brit built Jap car. The bonnet release catch came off in my hand when I tried to get under the hood while giving it a polish and check over tonight. Quick Look online reveals that it’s a regular occurrence on these. Groping around down there trying to pop the thing back into place revealed some very poor quality plastics more akin to food packaging than a £40k car.

Hopefully I don’t have to haul myself back over to the other side of the country to have it fixed, the warranty should be honoured by our local Merc dealer.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/04/2024 at 21:41

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - DavidGlos
So what engine is that then SLO? Feels like a long while since Merc and BMW badges actually told you what was under the bonnet!

Is it a 2.0 petrol 4-pot? Turbocharged?
Know what you mean, but in this occasion it is actually a 2.0 turbo that lurks under that firmly closed bonnet. Plenty of pep and good on fuel. All you need really and chucks out the same emissions as a Honda Jazz 1.4.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - DavidGlos
That sounds promising. And I assume it’s a Merc engine and not a Renault engine masquerading as a German powerplant as happens with some of their units e.g the 1.5 dCi diesel. / 180d.

Colleague at work has just chopped in a C-Class C200 saloon which was about 5 years old for a 1 year old C300. Reckoned there were bits starting to fall off the older model that necessitated the change! Think it might also have been linked to a reasonable bonus at financial year end in reality. He used to be a Mazda guy, so perhaps it was a shock to have bits of trim dropping off?!

Edited by DavidGlos on 22/04/2024 at 22:26

The quality isn’t what it was, though it’s an improvement on the last C class I was in.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - elekie&a/c doctor
Sadly that’s the way of all manufacturers now . The last good C class was the W202 chassis series .
Sadly that’s the way of all manufacturers now . The last good C class was the W202 chassis series .

Solidly built and mechanically simple things, my dad had two two of them. Sadly rust protection wasn’t what it should’ve been, his C180 Eoegance was looking rather tatty by the time it got to 13yrs old. The last proper Merc was the 124 Series E class in my opinion.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - paul 1963

Nice car SLO, although silver isn't my colour of choice, wonder of its worth getting it protected underneath? Hope it serves you well.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate - New wheels - nellyjak

Agree SLO...the W124 is probably the only Merc I'd buy.

If it does half as well as Terence then you'll not have done too badly I guess.

Local main dealer happily rectified faulty bonnet release catch on Monday without quibble or charge. Closer inspection of the car shows far superior rust protection than the old Toyota or the Mazda 6 I was aiming to buy. Many of the suspension components and much of the under bonnet metalwork is alloy or galvanised steel. If it proves mechanically robust then it should last. Fingers crossed.

The little time I’ve spent behind the wheel has been pleasant, it’s a very comfortable thing, it rides properly unlike many modern cars yet it doesn’t feel wooden to drive like Merc’s of old. Bags of torque and a sofa like seat make it ideal for longer runs, and SWMBO and her mother like it.

Happy so far.