Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Samuala

Hi everyone,

Last year I purchased a DS3 Prestige 1.6 BlueHDi (99) with 63k miles for £6,500. Its comfortable and frugal and has mod cons. Unfortunately, in the past year I've experienced so many issues with the car, the most recent being a fault with the Adblue system and I've spent close to £2,500 in repairs and maintenance. Therefore, I have made the decision to look for a replacement.

I originally bought the DS3 for motorway journeys to and from work. I now work from home, so motorway miles are limited and possibly the longest journey I would do during the week is 30 miles. I'm looking for something that is reliable and cheap to repair if any problems do arise. Sub £5,000 and low mileage preferably.

I'm not sure my budget would stretch to a Jazz or Yaris, so I've been looking at C1/Aygo, Picanto, i10. I've been checking MOT history on the vehicles I've found in my price range and noticed a few Picantos/i10s with deterioted brake pipes in early years and "Engine MIL inoperative" appear a few times.

Looking for people's opinions on what to look for and if anyone has any other suggestions.

Appreciate your help.

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - SLO76
Hi.

Sadly £5,000 isn’t a lot of money when cars are concerned these days, prices have gone mad and what was £2,500 is now £5,000. We could recommend cars to fit your requirements but much depends on what is for sale nearby at the time. You are right to get shot of the DS though, they’re not reliable things at all. Stick with simple non-turbocharged petrol cars, preferably of Japanese design for the best chance. Give me your rough location and I’ll look for possibilities nearby.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/04/2024 at 14:01

I understand £5,000 isn't much these days. I remember paying £2,500 for my 2010 Fiat Punto Evo in 2018 and I've seem some still around the same price!

I live in Stirling, Scotland, which probably limits my options even more. However, my parents live in Barnsley, South Yorkshire and they're willing to go look at any cars around their area also.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Samuala on 27/04/2024 at 16:34

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - badbusdriver

Here are some Autrader candidates;

202404238980137 Tidy Peugeot 107 with long MOT and nothing of worry in MOT history. Simple, reliable (Daihatsu engine in this), very cheap to run.

202404098467305 Peugeot 108, just a facelifted and newer version of the above. Same engine same low running costs. Nothing that would overly concern me in the MOT history, though current MOT runs out in August.

202404249015538 Toyota Aygo this time, but same under the skin as the two above (and the Citroen C1). Long MOT, but curiously went untested for a year. Maybe needs tyres before next test.

202404158676214 2nd gen Ford Ka here, these were based on the Fiat Panda/500 and uses the tried and tested 1.2. Nothing too concerning in the MOT history but current one runs out at the end of Oct.

202403047213236 Honda Jazz, bit older and MOT runs out at the start of Sept, but nothing of much concern in the MOT history. And these are very reliable.

The above are private, arguably a better choice if on a lower budget as (in theory) the owner isn't trying to profit. But of course there is less choice, so here are a few from traders;

202402196724659 Another 2nd gen Ford Ka. Current MOT till Oct, but MOT history very good.

202404158664207 Fiat 500 with long MOT and, apart from a failure on front discs this year, MOT history is very good.

202404168691790 Dacia Sandero with long MOT. MIL mentioned in 2022 but otherwise nothing of concern. Basic no nonsense transport with a simple and reliable 1.2 Renault engine, but more space than everything mentioned so far apart from the Jazz.

202404108508418 Fiat Panda with long MOT and good MOT history. Personally, I prefer the Panda to the 500 (or 2nd gen Ka), but the same car underneath.

All the above were searched using a random Sterling postcode and are within 50 miles. There are plenty other trade sales, but that's all I could be bothered with for now!

202404168691790 Dacia Sandero with long MOT. MIL mentioned in 2022 but otherwise nothing of concern. Basic no nonsense transport with a simple and reliable 1.2 Renault engine, but more space than everything mentioned so far apart from the Jazz.

Thank so much for your suggestions. I've seen a few Sanderos for sale. There is currently someone just up the road from me selling a Stepway 0.9 for £5,999 with just over 50k miles. My mother-in-law has a 2020 Sandero with the naturally aspirated 1.0 petrol. Is the turbo just as reliable?

Sounds silly, but the only thing that puts me off the sandero is there being no boot release at the rear although, I'm sure it's easy to get used to.

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Adampr

Thank so much for your suggestions. I've seen a few Sanderos for sale. There is currently someone just up the road from me selling a Stepway 0.9 for £5,999 with just over 50k miles. My mother-in-law has a 2020 Sandero with the naturally aspirated 1.0 petrol. Is the turbo just as reliable?

Sounds silly, but the only thing that puts me off the sandero is there being no boot release at the rear although, I'm sure it's easy to get used to.

I thought you could open it as long as you have the key with you?

We have a Renault Twingo with the 0.9tce engine and not had any problems with it. It has a decent reputation and is quite a fun thing. It is a lot livelier than the 1.0sce.

I thought you could open it as long as you have the key with you?

Yes, you can. I suppose I'm being a little pedantic. The boot release is down by the driver, as is the fuel cap release. There's no physical button or lever for boot release on the rear of the vehicle. And can only be opened at the rear with tge key. I've heard European models come with a physical boot release. I know they're built to a price but my 2010 punto had a boot release at the rear and a button on the key fob.

Wee i10 Hyundai is a good option. Simple chain driven engine has no real vices. Rust underneath is the only worry so you need to look underneath and check the Mot history for rot. Otherwise brilliant little cars.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404078392544

Mega low miles Vauxhall Viva that’s apparently lived most at of its life in sunny Engerland.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404028219456
Vauxhall Viva that’s apparently lived most at of its life in sunny Engerland. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404028219456

Hmm hadn't considered a Viva. They seem to have decent spec. Any experience with them? May have to see if I can get a test drive at a dealer.

Vauxhall Viva that’s apparently lived most at of its life in sunny Engerland. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404028219456

Hmm hadn't considered a Viva. They seem to have decent spec. Any experience with them? May have to see if I can get a test drive at a dealer.

They’re cheap, mostly owned by older people and thus not abused and they’re a bit more refined and substantial than the 107 etc. Make sure it has a full service record as timing chains can get noisy if neglected.

Any idea how the i10 rides on 14" wheels?

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Engineer Andy

Any idea how the i10 rides on 14" wheels?

It depends upon the pairing of the wheel and tyre, especially the tyre sidewall height. My neighbour has a KIA Picanto, the i10's sister car, and it has 15in wheels, which means the tyre sidewall is likely 12mm (or between 10-15%) less than that of a similar car with 14in rims.

The extra air cushioning will help improve ride quality over the lower profile tyre versions. The downside is that there will be a small loss in handling ability, though going one wheel size (1 inch) down rarely makes a huge difference in that regard, especially at legal speeds that are safely achievable for the car. Going up or down (if possible) by two inches on the wheel may well make a discernable difference - good or bad.

Have a look at the HJ reviews section for any car you might consider, and they (alongside Owner reviews on the site) hopefully will give some indication what each sub-model may be like to drive in terms of comfort as well as handling.

If you're going to do driving on local / urban roads and performance and handling isn't so much of a concern, then having a car with smaller wheels and higher profile tyres that help improve ride quality is often of benefit, especially on today's poorly-surfaced roads.

Going that way can also help reduce costs, given higher profile tyres generally last longer than lower profile ones, are less susceptible to damage from potholes, as are their matching wheels, because the rims are further away from the road. Their extra 'air cushioning' also takes some load off the suspension, which will this last longer.

It's also likely that such tyre types cost less, often quite a lot if they are a 'common' size, than less common / lower profile ones. It likely does mean looking at generally lower spec cars, but only going for the minimum spec you need will mean you'll be able to afford a newer example and/or one that is in better condition.

All in all, it could save you a good few £000 (maybe more) over an ownership period. Worth considering with money so tight and significantly inflated costs at the moment.

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Big John

I've been looking at C1/Aygo,

Good cars with the 1.0 engine (avoid the 1.2) and the Peugeot 107/108 based on the same platform. Check for rust especially where rear sills meet the rear wheel arches. If ok rustproof after removing the rear rubber bungs.

I'm a fan of the Citigo/Mi/Up as well with the good EA211 engine.

Edited by Big John on 27/04/2024 at 23:33

Peugeot 107/108 based on the same platform.

My mum has a 208 with the 1.2 puretech, assuming this is the same engine? Nothing but trouble. I think they pulled close to 200 fault codes at one point.

Seems only the lower spec 108 comes with the 1.0l before 2018. C1 and Aygo offer throughout the range, so a few more options.

Not seen many UP! Or siblings under £5,000, especially not with similar equipment as rivals.

Edited by Samuala on 01/05/2024 at 19:07

The Peugeot107/108, Citroen c1 and Toyota Aygo are best with the Daihatsu designed 3cyl 1.0 motor. It’s simple and long lived if looked after. The 1.2 was available in the 108 for a while but it’s not anywhere near as robust. The 1.0 nips along well enough in such a light car.
Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - veloceman
Not many around but if you fancy something a little larger and a few years younger you could do worse than a Fiat Tipo. A 66/17 plate base 1.4 will just squeeze into your budget.
No real vices apart from the 5yr ish cambelt change.
Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - gordonbennet

I've been looking at C1/Aygo,

Good cars with the 1.0 engine (avoid the 1.2) and the Peugeot 107/108 based on the same platform. Check for rust especially where rear sills meet the rear wheel arches. If ok rustproof after removing the rear rubber bungs.

I'm a fan of the Citigo/Mi/Up as well with the good EA211 engine.

Chops garage on youtube had an Aygo (or clone) in, looked good overall but underneath was a different story, front subframe rotted completely through, yes lived its early life in Scotland.

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Big John

Chops garage on youtube had an Aygo (or clone) in, looked good overall but underneath was a different story, front subframe rotted completely through, yes lived its early life in Scotland.

Actually you highlight a really good point the death of many a modern car is a subframe of some sort - they are not usually galvanised. The cost of replacing a front subframe can be rather expensive as things like engine / gearbox needs suspending in some way or being removed. The other car killer can be rusty brake pipes if the route of it requires the removal of many components eg engine, subframes, fuel tank etc...

Recommendations Sub £5k Reliable Car - Chirpy99

Id have a punt on a i10 if you can find one .Icve had mine 11 years and 90000 miles, clutches arent the best but not much else to trouble you. Still on the original battery, rides ok on 014" tyres.