Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - Rose petals

Hi

I'm torn between 2 cars and unsure which to go for I've test drove both and do have a preference but have doubts about the brand.

I've always had Mazda's mostly the Mazda 3 but need to size up now and the CX-60 would be ok for our needs but am thinking if waiting for the CX-80 to be realised as it gives us more space but I've also test drive and checked out the genesis gv80 which I did prefer the interior was beautiful and it was more comfty to drive in but I don't know how reliable they are and have read mixed reviews on Hyundai since I know they own genesis. I'm also reading that they have r****** customer service too.

I'm tempted by the GV80 by how much more luxurious and comfty it is and quieter to drive but Mazda has always been great with me and I know there reliable.

Hoping everyone on here might have advice to help me with my decision or if anyone knows how reliable genesis is.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - badbusdriver

The Mazda CX-60 (which is the same under the skin as the CX-80) was launched in 2022 so there hasn't been enough time to establish how reliable or otherwise it is.

Likewise, Genesis has only existed in the UK since the same year, so again, no real info on reliability here. But Genesis has existed as a brand since about 2016, so if you were to try looking on forums or websites based in countries where they have been on sale that long, you may get useful info.

A couple of general points though, re Genesis customer service, s you've ad a test drive you have presumably had some experience of it?. But as Genesis is a halo brand for Hyundai/Kia, I'd expect the customer service to be above par to tempt the badge snobs out of their Mercs/Beemers and Audi's. While Nissan's Infiniti brand didn't last in the UK, I do remember reading that the customer service was exceptional for pretty much the reason I suggested (not that it helped in Infiniti's case).

Mazda has always been great with me and I know there reliable.

Re the above, you don't know that a CX-60 or CX-80 will be reliable. The reliability of Mazda's in relatively recent times have been dependant on them being powered by a n/a petrol engine. The 2.2 diesel has a poor reputation by comparison (though anecdotal evidence suggests they are fine if used in a manner suitable and appropriate for diesel), so I certainly wouldn't assume the 3.3 (as interesting as it sounds) to be reliable. And while the 2.5 petrol is presumably the existing and reliable 4 pot used in various other Mazda models, in this case it is a hybrid, so who knows?.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - Engineer Andy

The Mazda CX-60 (which is the same under the skin as the CX-80) was launched in 2022 so there hasn't been enough time to establish how reliable or otherwise it is.

Likewise, Genesis has only existed in the UK since the same year, so again, no real info on reliability here. But Genesis has existed as a brand since about 2016, so if you were to try looking on forums or websites based in countries where they have been on sale that long, you may get useful info.

A couple of general points though, re Genesis customer service, s you've ad a test drive you have presumably had some experience of it?. But as Genesis is a halo brand for Hyundai/Kia, I'd expect the customer service to be above par to tempt the badge snobs out of their Mercs/Beemers and Audi's. While Nissan's Infiniti brand didn't last in the UK, I do remember reading that the customer service was exceptional for pretty much the reason I suggested (not that it helped in Infiniti's case).

Re the above, you don't know that a CX-60 or CX-80 will be reliable. The reliability of Mazda's in relatively recent times have been dependant on them being powered by a n/a petrol engine. The 2.2 diesel has a poor reputation by comparison (though anecdotal evidence suggests they are fine if used in a manner suitable and appropriate for diesel), so I certainly wouldn't assume the 3.3 (as interesting as it sounds) to be reliable. And while the 2.5 petrol is presumably the existing and reliable 4 pot used in various other Mazda models, in this case it is a hybrid, so who knows?.

As I discovered not that long ago (and to my disappointment as a long-term [18y] Mazda3 owner), the previous diesel-related issues have, to some degree, been replaced with electrical gremlins on the latest range of cars, especially on the upper spec models which have more gadgets.

Problems on the previous gen cars (2013-19) in this regard started appearing a few years ago, though not to the same degree as the latest ones - I recall a good number of complaints about power door mirrors.

The Skyactiv G and X petrol engines themselves appear to be reliable. As regards dealerships, I suspect that Hyundai are overall better (also the longer / better warranty helps), but if the OP has found a well-run dealership local to them, then that would make a huge difference post-sales.

In my experience from the (now sadly gone) Mazda3 owners' forum, Mazda dealerships - at least from a post-sales perspective, are rather hit and miss, rather like Ford, Vauxhall, etc.

The problem the OP will have as regards trying to find useful (and representative) data on CX-60 ownership is that I doubt if Mazda will sell many in the UK, at least compared to the CX-5, CX-30 and especially cars from other brands.

Both cars likely share a reasonable number of under-the-skin components (or variants of) with stablemates, although not in combination, plus the cars' large size (and large, low profile tyres) may affect the ride and handling ability.

The GV-80 looks to be Hyundai's attempt at a Porsche /Audi SUV clone. Worth the OP check both HJ reviews for the CX-60 and GV-80 as well as similar cars that they may not have considered, including smaller stablemates of both.

Note also that they could be quite expensive to insure. Decent length test drives on a wide variety of speeds, road types and surface quality would be in order. I've seen many locals PX their bling-bling SUVs with 'rubber band' 20in+ tyres after finding out they aren't so comfy away from smooth tarmac, plus the probable eye-watering running costs associated with (more) regularly needing to replace very expensive tyres, alloys and suspension parts.

As I discovered not that long ago (and to my disappointment as a long-term [18y] Mazda3 owner), the previous diesel-related issues have, to some degree, been replaced with electrical gremlins on the latest range of cars, especially on the upper spec models which have more gadgets.

Problems on the previous gen cars (2013-19) in this regard started appearing a few years ago, though not to the same degree as the latest ones - I recall a good number of complaints about power door mirrors.

The Skyactiv G and X petrol engines themselves appear to be reliable. As regards dealerships, I suspect that Hyundai are overall better (also the longer / better warranty helps), but if the OP has found a well-run dealership local to them, then that would make a huge difference post-sales.

In my experience from the (now sadly gone) Mazda3 owners' forum, Mazda dealerships - at least from a post-sales perspective, are rather hit and miss, rather like Ford, Vauxhall, etc.

The problem the OP will have as regards trying to find useful (and representative) data on CX-60 ownership is that I doubt if Mazda will sell many in the UK, at least compared to the CX-5, CX-30 and especially cars from other brands.

Both cars likely share a reasonable number of under-the-skin components (or variants of) with stablemates, although not in combination, plus the cars' large size (and large, low profile tyres) may affect the ride and handling ability.

The GV-80 looks to be Hyundai's attempt at a Porsche /Audi SUV clone. Worth the OP check both HJ reviews for the CX-60 and GV-80 as well as similar cars that they may not have considered, including smaller stablemates of both.

Note also that they could be quite expensive to insure. Decent length test drives on a wide variety of speeds, road types and surface quality would be in order. I've seen many locals PX their bling-bling SUVs with 'rubber band' 20in+ tyres after finding out they aren't so comfy away from smooth tarmac, plus the probable eye-watering running costs associated with (more) regularly needing to replace very expensive tyres, alloys and suspension parts.

I don't know how good my dealer is because I've never had to use them my Mazda 3 has had 0 issues thankfully but it's just too small now for our needs. From reading on a local Facebook group they don't seem good when things go wrong.

Im also going to test the Lexus RX as well but I am leaning towards the GV80 my partner was worried because he thought they were leaving the UK market and I said no they are just merging with Hyundai.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - Adampr

Genesis aren't leaving the UK market, they've only just arrived (as a standalone brand).

Personally, I would always buy the car I preferred unless I had good evidence that it was likely to be problematic. Otherwise, you'll drive around in your less satisfactory Mazda always wondering what might have been.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - badbusdriver

Im also going to test the Lexus RX as well but I am leaning towards the GV80 my partner was worried because he thought they were leaving the UK market and I said no they are just merging with Hyundai.

Not sure what you mean, Genesis is and has always been a part of the Hyundai group.

But whether the name remains in the UK will depend on how successful they are. It worked out for Toyota with Lexus but it didn't work out for Nissan with Infiniti.

Regardless of reliability, I'd expect heavier depreciation with the Genesis compared to the established premium rivals.

None of these types of car are my cup of tea, but if forced to choose, it would be the Lexus RX all day long for me.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - Oli rag

Genesis is Hyundai’s luxury brand, as Lexus is to Toyota.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - movilogo

I test drove Genesis GV70 (smaller version of GV80) last year.

Nice car but poor fuel economy. The 2.5 L petrol engine only managed 23 MPG in economy mode!

For the size of the car, rear seats felt cramped.

Genesis started with direct to consumer model but earlier this year they decided to partner with existing Hyundai dealerships.

It looks like mini Bentley. But Genesis did not become popular in UK.

They also refused to negotiate on price. No discount at all on listed price. Though with poor sales they may be willing offer discou

nt now.

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - daveyjp

I've seen as many Genesis as I saw Infinitis - not many and I don't expect it to change unless they become cheap through business leases.

Infiniti did have another issue, all their cars were basically Mercs in a different dress so people (and businesses) bought Mercs.

I'm starting to think the RX is the wiser choice.

I was already impressed with genesis 5yr warranty but Lexus have a 10yr/100k miles warranty which would last me 8yrs before I get to 100k miles plus Lexus top the reliability surveys and are know as soild cars that don't breakdown.

My number 1 priority on my list is reliability as I want a solid car that won't break down and I know the newer RX is new but I feel more assured knowing it's a Lexus.

Only downside is boot space is a tad smaller as the gv80 has 735 litres were the RX has 461 litres need to judge when I see in person.

Only downside I can see is unfortunately RX's are high on the list for thieves not seen anything about the gv80 but I suppose it would as there both luxury cars.

Edited by Rose petals on 10/05/2024 at 08:08

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - mcb100
Not sure of the Mercedes connection as Infiniti are the luxury arm of Nissan.
Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - daveyjp
Not sure of the Mercedes connection as Infiniti are the luxury arm of Nissan.

Nissan, Renault and Mercedes have had a working relationship for decades and share design and components.

The UK Infinitis were based on Mercedes models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_QX30

I did a little bit of work for them as they arrived in the UK - at that point the range was definitely Nissan based.
The later QX30 did indeed platform share with A-Class.
Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - alan1302

I've seen as many Genesis as I saw Infinitis - not many and I don't expect it to change unless they become cheap through business leases.

Infiniti did have another issue, all their cars were basically Mercs in a different dress so people (and businesses) bought Mercs.

That assumes people know - not sure most people will have even heard of Infiniti let alone know that some we based on Mercedes chassis underneath.

Where did you drive the GV80? Was it brought to you, or did you go to it at a test drive event?
If you haven’t had one at home, make sure it’ll fit in your life - it’s a big car. I speak as someone that had to get a refund from a petrol station as I couldn’t get one into a drive through car wash - and I’m not shy at getting cars into tight spaces.
I don’t have the dimensions to hand, but I’d suggest that the GV70 is a better match for size to the Mazda than the GV80. And the GV70 is a better drive, more European focused than the GV80 which was designed for the US market.

Edited by mcb100 on 10/05/2024 at 08:54

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - movilogo

Where did you drive the GV80? Was it brought to you, or did you go to it at a test drive event?

I drove GV70, not GV80. Yes, it was brought to my home. They allowed me a fairly long test drive for about an hour in a route chosen by me.

Sorry, question aimed at the OP, who has driven GV80.
My car wash experience with a GV80 was based on my sometime role as a Genesis person that takes the car out to customers and accompanies them on test drives.

I test drove a friend of my husbands car who has one , the one thing bugging me about genesis is the customer service after spending days phoning and emailing my local dealership to no awnser I then went down in person but was told they don't have any gv80 there to test drive but they can sort one out and said they'd contact me back but a week later nothing.

Phoned my local Lexus dealer who has booked me in for a test drive for tomorrow which impressed me.

After test driving the Lexus RX today I was truly impressed while the exterior might not be what I'd normally choose the interior was just lovely to sit in and was such a comfty ride way more comfortable and smoother compared to the CX-60 and more smooth then the GV80 it just glided over bumps. We have now decided after discussing it further today I'm going to contact them to arrange a longer test drive before ordering but at this moment I'd say the Lexus RX will be our next car

Genesis gv80 Vs Mazda CX-60 - SLO76
A Lexus is a good safe option. They don’t go wrong, they’re very well made and they’re very comfortable things to sit in. I couldn’t bring myself to spend so much on a car short of a lottery win but a Lexus would be on my shortlist if someone offered to buy me a car to last a long time. I’ve sold and owned many of its parent firms products over the years without any breakdowns or major failures. They’re good cars.

I wouldn’t touch a diesel Mazda after their recent poor record with derv powered engines. Best avoided, even if they’ve finally got it right the trade will factor in the risk based on previous products and thus depreciation will be huge.

The Genesis is a good car I imagine but as with Infinity they’re not making any real inroads into the UK market and depreciation is likely to be high and there’s always the risk they’ll pull out of what is a tiny market for them.

My vote is Lexus.