any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - JonestHon

A rough character went on the rampage near my daughter's school and collided with three parked cars, one of which is our petrol Toyota Avensis estate. The rear quarter was badly dented along the light cluster.

I took it to my local body shop, which I trust, and they said it would need a replacement panel, which would cost almost £1200.

My insurer wants to write off the car due to its age (14) and mileage (153k).

Bar excessive cabin noise, the Avensis is a paragon of reliability and comfort, but it might not be economical to fix.

I looked at what I can get for an absolute maximum of £7k + £1k contingent for sorting things on AutoTrader, and there seems to be a fair selection, so I like the panel’s opinion.

We do everything with the car: short school runs, dog tasks, commutes, and the occasional 300-mile cross-country stint. We covered around 9500 miles last year, which is about right for us going forward.

I'm looking with simplicity and travel comfort in mind, up to six years of age, about 520 litres of boot space with seats up, and I don't mind autos or manuals. We always have petrol cars nowadays, so I prefer to stick to this and keep it simple.

A few younger cars (2018-2021) are showing as reasonable potential candidates, but are there any vices I should keep an eye on?

There are 2020 - 2019 Skoda Fabia and Octavia estates with reasonable mileage under 100k and 1.0 - 1.4 , 1.5 turbos. Is there anything to notice? Is this cheap for a reason?

Also, a Renault Megane 1.3 Tce seems to have decent figures in the performance section.

What about natural aspirated/ manual combos like the Avensis? I see a fair few Astra Tourers with a 1.6 motor. Is this worth a punt?

I am looking mostly around the Bristol area but am willing to travel to most places to look at a good example.

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Steveieb

How about another Avensis Estate like the one you had or a Mazda 6 . They would be my choice!

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - badbusdriver

If you like the car that much, I'd look into the possibility of a 2nd hand panel. Had a look on Ebay and there is a facelifted version of your car (2015-2018) with both rear quarters available for £280 + £100 postage. Not 100% sure, but I'd assume they would fit your car. If not there is a also a breaking pre-facelift car on there, no prices listed for any body panels, but the picture (which covers the o/s rear quarter) doesn't show any bodywork damage.

Sadly, £8 won't go that far in todays market, so maybe better the devil you know applies?

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Big John

The Octavia estate is a good car with a huge boot especially with the 1.4 tsi EA211 engine although the 1.0 tsi pulls it along reasonably and both are economical. The 1.5tsi had an issue when introduced but has been since sorted with a software fix. Generally though the VAG 1.0 -1.5tsi EA211 has been a "good'n" especially mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox. Very refined and low revving on a motorway with excellent real life fuel economy.

Astra 1.6 - avoid - cylinder head issues.

Edited by Big John on 19/05/2024 at 09:22

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - catsdad

How about a 1.8 Honda Civic up to about 2018. Naturally aspirated,, chain cam and 148 bhp and mid 40’s economy. Magic seats are very handy with dogs and kids. Estates are rarer and pricier than hatchbacks. However if it’s capacity you need rather than height the hatchback has a surprisingly big boot. Same goes for the Octavia..

The main obstacles with the Civic are budget and age. £7k will not buy you a six year old one. However an older Civic could be a good buy especially privately. As long as you avoid 2012 cars which has an uncharacteristic thirst for oil.,

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Andrew-T

Bar excessive cabin noise, the Avensis is a paragon of reliability and comfort, but it might not be economical to fix.

I looked at what I can get for an absolute maximum of £7k + £1k contingent for sorting things on AutoTrader, and there seems to be a fair selection, so I like the panel’s opinion..

That all depends on what you understand by 'economical'. If the car is otherwise in good shape it looks to me much more economical to have it fixed than spend £7-8k replacing it. Let your insurer write the car off, but take e reduced payout and keep the car. Pay your repairer the difference - I'm sure he may be able to trim a little off his full-price estimate for repair. That's what I did 8 years ago, never regretted it.

I looked at what I can get for an absolute maximum of £7k + £1k contingent for sorting things on AutoTrader, and there seems to be a fair selection, so I like the panel’s opinion.

That all depends on what you understand by 'economical'. If the car is otherwise in good shape, it looks much more economical to have it fixed than spend £7-8k replacing it. Let your insurer write the car off, but take a reduced payout and keep the car. Pay your repairer the difference - I'm sure he may be able to trim a little off his full-price estimate for repair. That's what I did eight years ago, and I never regretted it.

I chatted to Aviva about this; they offered a pittance of less than £1700 for the car, which made me think about the economics of it all.

I also attempted to source the part from a reputable online breakers service, which ended in nothing; many of their members/traders declared availability upfront, but when it came down to getting the part, they all called to say it was already sold. It seems like a quarter panel light cluster and paint job will end up similar money to the body shop quote.

I think SWAMBO, the keeper and primary user, is ready for a change after so many years of ownership.

She finds the electric hand brake annoying as it has no hill holding (these were added in 2015 onward, but our's is from 2010), and the lack of parking sensors (only a rear camera) leads to a few prangs.

I wonder about these Octavias on Autotrader; they are four years old and have loads of space; what is the catch? It seems a shorter rig than the Avensis, which is good in my book.

Honda Tourer petrol seems out of budget but has a decent reputation for reliability. It also has a slushbox in the auto, within the kiss principle.

Mazda 6, hardly any in our area and above budget in most cases.

Does the 1.0 in the Octavia need anything special other than service and a cam belt?

Edited by JonestHon on 19/05/2024 at 10:30

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - gordonbennet

Auris estate, all the reliability of the Avensis without the electric park brake.

Toyotas sadly are no longer cheap to buy used like they once were, for obvious reasons.

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Big John

Does the 1.0 in the Octavia need anything special other than service and a cam belt?

No. Infact cambelt interval has been revised to 15 years / 180k miles - and it's a simpler job than the Active Cylinder Technology versions (higher power 1.4/1.5). The 1.0 also has a Single Mass Flywheel and external clutch slave (simpler / cheaper). Go and test drive one, the 1.0 pull surprisingly well but obviously isn't a sports car.

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Andrew-T

<< I chatted to Aviva about this; they offered a pittance of less than £1700 for the car, which made me think about the economics of it all. >>

That payout looks reasonable to me for a 14-year-old car. I got £2250 (£3500 for a full write-off) for my 207 when it was 8 years old. I know prices have risen, but ....

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - SLO76
I wouldn’t touch a Renault Megane, or any small capacity turbo at the money you’re talking about. I had a Quick Look around and unless you’re prepared to up your budget to £10k or so they’re all in the danger zone mileage wise. Cinch have a nice Leon 1.0 TSi SE Estate at £10k with sensible miles and this would be nice to drive and cheap to run but it’s £3k over your stated budget.

I did find a 25,000 mile Ford Focus estate with the well regarded Yamaha designed Zetec SE petrol motor and a manual box but its strong money for a 2014 car and a bit over your budget again. Black isn’t an easy colour to keep nice either, but if it’s a genuine low mileage example and clean underneath then it could last 10yrs or more. They’re good to drive, decent on fuel and cheap to service and repair. The Mot history looks ok, with very low mileage use consistent through its life which suggests and elderly owner.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202405059397001

Here’s the Leon I mentioned.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403197755641

An Auris estate would be a great car but they sell for very strong money as taxi operators are all over them when they come up for sale so you’d need to find another £3k or so for a good one. The Avensis estate is another that’s selling for silly money, you’d be looking at a 10/11yr old car for £7k. Petrol family estates are in big demand as ULEZ legislation forces people to upgrade or offload old diesels etc.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/05/2024 at 11:02

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - SLO76
I’d be tempted to just get it fixed on the cheap and run it until I’d saved a bit more money assuming it’s otherwise a good old car.
any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - corax

I don't know how bad the damage is, but for a 14 year old car, maybe it's best to knock out the panel, replace the rear light cluster and not expect a perfect job, just functional, then keep running it until it's uneconomically viable. That's what I would do, but you've hinted that your partner wants something new and shiny, so I can see your conundrum.

"A rough character went on the rampage"

That's a polite way of putting it.

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Bromptonaut

I have a Fabia estate, 2016 1.2 petrol. Boot is massive but at the expense of limited space in rear seats. Family are grown up and 99% of the time it's just me and the OH. Colleague who had to go in the back returning from a training event found it uncomfortable even just for five mails.

Wouldn't do for a growing family with near adult sized teens. .

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - Sulphur Man

Mazda 6 estate. Great car

Honda Civic Tourer - especially the 1.8 automatic.

Maybe Kia Optima estate, but I've less experience with those.

I'm a Honda man to my fingertips, so it would have to be the Civic.

Interesting development today, seeking help with the nearest Toyota dealer's service departments brought an offer to buy a tail light housing section. I had no idea that this part is separate from the panel itself, (well done Toyota) which, although scratched, is still in one piece with cosmetic but severe dents.

The friendly, knowledgeable lady proposed to replace just that part and deal with the cosmetics as a separate issue.

Part is £128 and a tail light from Denso is about £93.

My local shop says that replacing these parts will get the car road-legal.

I think I'll opt for this for £300 plus VAT and will see her live another day.

Plod called as well, saying the offending nutter is booked for dangerous driving, and she will have her day of justice sometime in the foggy distance. He said keep all the receipts if you seek damages, I confirmed I will and thanked the kind officer.

any - Modern petrol Estates - any known vices? - badbusdriver

Interesting development today, seeking help with the nearest Toyota dealer's service departments brought an offer to buy a tail light housing section. I had no idea that this part is separate from the panel itself, (well done Toyota) which, although scratched, is still in one piece with cosmetic but severe dents.

The friendly, knowledgeable lady proposed to replace just that part and deal with the cosmetics as a separate issue.

Plod called as well, saying the offending nutter is booked for dangerous driving, and she will have her day of justice sometime in the foggy distance. He said keep all the receipts if you seek damages, I confirmed I will and thanked the kind officer.

Sounds like a result,

(though SWMBO might not agree ;-)

Sounds like a result,

(though SWMBO might not agree ;-)

I told her about the environmental issue in disposing a working car, she said she will keep calm and carry on! What a gal!