Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Karie

I have been living in a small village for a couple of years and am looking to replace my karoq. My area is prone to flooding, I have to go down very small single track lanes to get my child to school and back (over a bridge which floods more and more regularly), we often have to park in fields for events and we are always being pushed or towed off.

I am now searching for my next vehicle. I do 12,000 miles a year, 20 miles commute 3 times a week and several motorway trips all over to friends etc. I like the boot space of the karoq as we often go camping, cycling etc. (previous car was a BMW 330 x drive which I loved for everything apart from the boot).

Firstly I don't know whether I need a 4x4 or whether I just need to buy a 2wd car and some winter tyres etc.?

Secondly if I do get a 4x4 should I just stick to the diesel or is a MHEV or PHEV worth considering. This is probably sounds silly but I cant get my head round a MHEV/PHEV going through water even though I know standard cars have electrics too. I have the space to put in a charging point at home.

Most of the local farmers drive pick up trucks, I have had one before but am no longer lugging hay bales.

I am looking to spend up to 25k, prefer an automatic due to a knee injury and happy to buy anywhere nationwide. What cars would you recommend?

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - badbusdriver

If your Karoq isn't 4x4 then the answer to whether or not you need 4x4 is no. It does sound like something with a reasonable amount of ground clearance would be a good idea though.

Re hybrid, first is you have missed out HEV. This is a car which can run on electric only for short periods but charges itself. MHEV wont run on electric only, it is just really a beefed up starter motor to make the stop-start system operate quicker, though there may also be a little "boost" from the electric motor when pulling away from a standstill and filling in gaps between gear changes. PHEV is more like HEV but with a bigger battery to enable running for (in some cases) more than 30 miles. But they do need to be plugged in to recharge he battery.

Drawbacks?, well in the case of HEV, most economy benefit is gained in urban running, there wont be much difference for someone who spends most of their time on motorways/dual carriageways. With MHEV there won't be a a huge economy difference full stop, typically around 5% in most cases, maybe a little more. With PHEV, cost and weight are the main drawbacks, but if most of your journeys are within the electric only range, could be worth considering.

I really wouldn't worry about water though.

I'd probably be thinking about a Toyota RAV4 (HEV) myself.

Thanks for clarifying and suggesting HEV, I am still stuck with my knowledge of cars in the days when you could use a hammer and some baling twine to fix them.

I had ruled the Rav 4 out of my list in my head as the insurance groups seem to be quite high compared to others, the reviews are mediocre and they also seem quite expensive for the same mileage as other 4x4's. I shall add them onto my list to test drive.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Adampr

I think the point is that the current Karoq is 2wd and keeps getting stuck?

Having just been through a very similar situation; swapping a Karoq for something a bit more capable, I ended up with a Suzuki Vitara. It's not as comfy or quiet as the Karoq (mine was a 1.5 petrol) but it does have selectable 4wd drive with various modes. The boot may be smaller than the Karoq in pure numbers, but it feels bigger somehow. Interior space is fine too.

I also tried a Subaru XV, which was nicer and would be far better off-road, but is more expensive to buy and run. The same is true of a Forester.

The only options you have for a 4wd PHEV at your budget are the Mitsubishi Outlander or Vauxhall Grandland. Both have their appeal, but I've never driven either. The Mitsubishi is likely to be more reliable and capable. For a little more, you could get a Jeep Renegade 4xe, but the boot is tiny.

There is a 4x4 Karoq available (along with Seat, Audi and VW equivalents). I'm not sure how good the 4wd on it actually is. A Skoda Yeti (the Karoq's) predecessor would probably be my preference of I wanted a VW product.

Thanks this is really helpful. I think I have been going off of reviews but most of these are done my motoring journalists rather than every day people. I will put the suzuki and the subaru on my list. My sister is the biggest yeti fan ever. She has 3 (none of them 4x4's sadly!)

Thanks this is really helpful. I think I have been going off of reviews but most of these are done my motoring journalists rather than every day people. I will put the suzuki and the subaru on my list. My sister is the biggest yeti fan ever. She has 3 (none of them 4x4's sadly!)

The reviews on Parkers tend to be a bit more sensible than many others. If you look on thecarexpert.co.uk they aggregate all of the reviews, so you can get a bit of balance.

Thanks for clarifying and suggesting HEV, I am still stuck with my knowledge of cars in the days when you could use a hammer and some baling twine to fix them.

I had ruled the Rav 4 out of my list in my head as the insurance groups seem to be quite high compared to others, the reviews are mediocre and they also seem quite expensive for the same mileage as other 4x4's. I shall add them onto my list to test drive.

I wasn't aware about the insurance being high.

But as for the rest, what you need to remember is that the RAV4 is liked by people who appreciate actual quality (rather than perceived) and reliability more than image performance/handling and gadgets, so they hold on to them for longer meaning slower depreciation than many rivals. But they don't enjoy being driven hard, when the petrol engine can seem a bit strained and unpleasant. That, along with the CVT auto transmission means that motoring journalists also don't really like them.

But if you plan to keep the car long term, there are few better choices.

Worth bearing in mind that on cars serviced within the Toyota dealer network, Toyota will extend the warranty a year at a time up to 10 years old. So a 2018 car could potentially have another 4 years manufacturers warranty.

Thank you, its back on the list! I used to drive a 1972 horse box, I am pretty immune to loud cars. Of course I loved my bmw but equally my 80 year off mother hated it as she struggled to get in and out of it. She is happier in the karoq as she likes the view!!! Interesting about the warranty too, I hadn't factored that in, thanks

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - JonestHon

My partner's brother is one of those great guys who help people stuck in challenging geographical events like live music and wild mushroom picking. He only has a dog (a bovine vet), but he lives and breathes the narrow lanes of Kent.

He is now on his third petrol Subaru Outback, this one reasonably young 2023 shape, and he put above 200k before changing. He said once that 'he can't complain about these cars'.

My partner's brother is one of those great guys who help people stuck in challenging geographical events like live music and wild mushroom picking. He only has a dog (a bovine vet), but he lives and breathes the narrow lanes of Kent.

He is now on his third petrol Subaru Outback, this one reasonably young 2023 shape, and he put above 200k before changing. He said once that 'he can't complain about these cars'.

They're brilliant, but massive

Perfect. My vet is a known pick up truck killer so it's good to hear of a car that has survived. Again I had dismissed this from the reviews but I will review my lost again and not be so swayed by motoring journalists who are probably not testing these cars out through floods or down a farm track regularly.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Heidfirst

My area is prone to flooding, I have to go down very small single track lanes to get my child to school and back (over a bridge which floods more and more regularly), we often have to park in fields for events and we are always being pushed or towed off.

Firstly I don't know whether I need a 4x4 or whether I just need to buy a 2wd car and some winter tyres etc.?

a 2wd with proper off road tyres will get you to (& out of) places that a 4wd on summer road tyres won't. Of course there are on road penalties (noise, handling, mpg) to be paid for off road performance.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Rerepo

"we often have to park in fields for events and we are always being pushed or towed off."

Sounds like you do need a 4x4.

Suzuki Vitara, or anything Toyota or Subaru that takes your fancy. I've visited plenty of remote and hostile parts of the world and these are the vehicles that you see being used day to day. Be aware that Mitsubishi have discontinued new car sales in the UK so best avoided IMHO.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - focussed

"a 2wd with proper off road tyres will get you to (& out of) places that a 4wd on summer road tyres won't. Of course there are on road penalties (noise, handling, mpg) to be paid for off road performance."

Really?

Consider a Duster - a proper 4x4 that makes light work of snowy mountain tracks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=816QZdBN0wY&ab_channel...s

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Terry W

Putting decent tyres on a 2WD will improve traction. It is possible they will be better than a 4x4 on summer slicks. There is a price to be paid - noise and ultimate grip on normal roads.

Best traction is 4x4 + decent tyres. Only you know (a) what tyres you have on the Karoq, and (b) actual road conditions. I would be tempted by 4x4 as this will certainly meet your need - £25k is a lot to spend on something which you may regret.

At 12k pa the petrol, diesel, PHEV etc argument is unresolved. You are not crossing mountain rages or deserts and any 4x4 is likely to be entirely capable.

I would prioritise age, condition, driving experience, comfort etc over engine type. A £25k budget could buy a 1/2 year old basic (Vitara, Jeep) or an older premium (BMW, Lexus etc). Purely personal view - I would go for the former for reliability and running cost benefits.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Engineer Andy

"a 2wd with proper off road tyres will get you to (& out of) places that a 4wd on summer road tyres won't. Of course there are on road penalties (noise, handling, mpg) to be paid for off road performance."

Really?

Consider a Duster - a proper 4x4 that makes light work of snowy mountain tracks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=816QZdBN0wY&ab_channel...s

I've seen (though cannot remember specifically which) videos of tests where a 2WD (FWD) car equipped with winter tyres managed to get further on a snow climb than a 4WD variant shod on summer tyres.

It may well be the difference comes between primarily road-going cars with basic 4WD systems and those designed for more challenging conditions which can adapt to them. In addition, the physical size of the tyres can make a big difference to snow traction - wider tyres don't work so well., which many modern off-roader cars have, which may significantly impact on their off-roading ability in very poor conditions.

A good instructional video - Duster comparison using the available different driving modes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr1WEBf2_fE&ab_channel...e

When you apply some scientific thinking to 2 wd versus 4 wd in really bad icy conditions you realise that the reason 4wd lock esp off copes better is because you are dividing the wheel hp at any wheel by 2.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Terry W

I think dividing the HP is a bit simplistic.

Traction is a function of friction between tyre and road surface. If the energy needed to move the vehicle is greater than the grip, the wheel will spin. Spreading the friction between 4 rather than 2 wheels means grip required from each driven wheel is halved.

This only applies to vehicles with diff locks (or at least limited slip diffs). Without a diff lock the benefits of 4x4 are lost - you could end up with three wheels spinning!

2WD vs 4WD affects the ability to move in difficult conditions. When braking or cornering, 4x4 provides relatively little benefit - the key issue is the friction between tyre and road surface, not how many wheels are driven. Tyres selection is the major determinant of grip.

Thus a 2WD may actually be somewhat safer - if it has insufficient grip to get going, there is much less risk of being unable to stop!!

"This only applies to vehicles with diff locks (or at least limited slip diffs). Without a diff lock the benefits of 4x4 are lost - you could end up with three wheels spinning!"

How could end up with that scenario? Unlilkely.

That's what the ESP is for - if the system senses that a wheel is in the air and spinning it applies the brake on that wheel which transfers the drive on that axle to the other wheel on the ground.

Do I need a 4x4 and if so PHEV, MHEV or diesel? - Heidfirst

Really?

Yes, you might be surprised by what a 2wd is actualy capable of. I once took a rwd Vauxhall Omega estate around a bicycle trail in a forest near Aviemore on standard road tyres (surprised quite a few :P ). I was trained by the army though to drive off-road.

Giving a 2wd appropriate tyres & it then being able to outdo a 4x4 on otherwise is well-proven.

Edited by Heidfirst on 24/05/2024 at 13:41

Yes, you might be surprised by what a 2wd is actualy capable of. I once took a rwd Vauxhall Omega estate around a bicycle trail in a forest near Aviemore on standard road tyres

Maybe not that surprised if you have been a regular viewer of Top Gear over the years. I can think of at least three special's during the Clarkson/May/Hammond era where some fairly arduous terrain had to be crossed using cars which, apart from Hammonds Impreza in the source the Nile escapade, were otherwise all 2wd, and often highly unsuitable full stop (Lotus Esprit V8 for example!)