Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Mich52

I'm a lone shy woman and I don't have anyone with car knowledge to go with me to buy a car. My 17 yo Citroen C1 Cool is on its last legs and I need another! I know the car I'd like (Toyota X), but it's so daunting to buy one. I just don't think the sales guys take me serious when I go.

My budget is max £13k which I have saved for these past 17 years. Any advice please/or car make suggestions? ??. I just want a good reliable car of course, as I've had to pay £500 on my current one for one thing or another and I don't think it's right to keep paying so much on an old jalopy!

Salesmen scare me. I got my current Citroen from a mechanic up my road for £4,000 back in the day, but he's retired now and moved away.

Thank you in advance!

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Sulphur Man

Have you tried ringing your local Toyota dealership. They should be very approachable.

State your budget and what you require - the Aygo X (good car) and they should be able to help.

Thank you.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Andrew-T

When you say your car is 'on its last legs' do you mean that it passes the MoT with difficulty, or are you just starting to feel it is getting old (which it is) and should be replaced on principle ? Don't forget that newer cars are dearer to buy and quite likely dearer to repair if needed. If an old car is not being threatened by rust, it may be a good idea to keep it running.

The windows are difficult to wind down especially when I take my mum with me as she has arthritis in her shoulders, the exhaust keeps sc***ing over bumps in the road (I just paid £300 for a new one with Kwik Fit) and when I took it back to them to tell them this, they said it's fine and they can't lift the exhaust any higher, the A/C is hit and miss, plus it's just too small for my needs now. I must say, touch wood, it starts every time (as it has a Toyota engine), plus I think it's time I had the modern features in a newer model now. I like either the little Aygo or the Aygo X because I've read Toyota are so good.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Heidfirst

Don't know where you are so used a Birmingham postcode as roughly central.

tinyurl.com/2p9nkbkv

DYou could try the likes of We Buy Any Car to see what your present car is worth (not a lot I ssuspect)

Remember that if you can afford to get it serviced at a Toyota dealer to Toyota schedule Toyota will warranty your "new" car to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

[link shortened - Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 20/05/2024 at 13:34

Thank you.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Heidfirst

Sorry, the Toyota approved used link didn't carry over to this forum well but I am sure that you can work it out & narrow downwhat is available within the dealer network local to you.

Thank you.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - artill

Being scared of a salesman is quite normal. Its best under the circumstances look for a great deal that is already advertised.

If you would be happy with a base version of the Aygo X you can get them registered, but unused for under £14,000. So if you have a car to get rid of and about £13,000 you should be able to get one.

Here is one www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404188807549?s...a

You can probably do a deal over the phone. Turn down any extras they offer, if you arent certain you want them. There are others, so if this one is too far away, keep looking on places like Autotrader until you find a local one.

Best of luck

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Adampr

If you really can't bear salesmen, Cinch will happily sell you an Aygo X entirely online.

However, you'd probably be wise to drive one first, and Ideally the one you plan to buy. Find one you like the look of locally online at a franchised dealer, make an appointment and go and have a drive. Toyota dealers are not normally as bad as some others because they have a decent product to sell and aren't depending on making it seem exciting to convince you to buy it.

Just remember you almost certainly don't need gap insurance, alloy wheel insurance or lifeshine.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Falkirk Bairn

Motorpoint - Aygo X

www.motorpoint.co.uk/used-cars/toyota/aygo-x

Lots of choice

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - badbusdriver

Also worth bearing in mind that you can buy a used Aygo X online from Toyota themselves. I've just had a look on the website and there are 87 available nationwide within your budget.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - catsdad

As others have said, approach your local Toyota dealer. They might charge high-ish prices but in return you will avoid the more stressful aspects of the buying experience, such as haggling. Main dealers tend to have their used prices set by a central team and there will be little scope for haggling locally anyway.
But do check any car you are considering on the pricing tool on the HJ home page of this site just to make sure you are not overpaying a lot.
As for the 107, it’s probably worth at best £1200-£1500 selling privately looking at what sellers on Autotrader are asking. However I sense car selling is not in your comfort zone so selling privately is not an option. It can be a lot of hassle with people turning up and making poor offers.
We Buy Any Car (WBAC) has been suggested. Expect a very low (three figure) price for a 17 year old car. And you may have to haggle if they reduce the offer when they see the car. But it’s free to get a quote. As long as the Toyota trade in offer is around the same amount as WBAC you might find it’s most convenient to trade it in with the Toyota dealer.
Car salesmen get a bad press, including on here, but if you stick to main dealers of reliable makes and do some basic price checks you will reduce the risk. Any car can give problems after you’ve bought it but again you’re reducing the risk by buying a Toyota. It does help to buy locally so you don’t have to travel far if it needs any post sale work. Toyota after sales is well regarded. You won’t get a fantastically cheap bargain but you will take most of the scary stuff out of the equation.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - RJ414i

If Your not a "natural" car buyer then a Toyota dealer every time. Like stated they will treat you as a customer who will hopefully return for servicing and maybe a car upgrade in years to come.

When my wife went to look for a newer car a couple of years back we test drove an Aygo from a Toyota dealer. We never bought from them but there was no pushyness. Ended up buying a Yaris locally privately.

My wife and parents (75+) both use different dealership's for servicing (10 year warranty) and have never needed to grumble.

used.toyota.co.uk/approved-used/toyota-aygo-hatchb...U

Edited by RJ414i on 20/05/2024 at 21:35

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - gordonbennet

I wish you lot would stop telling everyone how good Toyotas are, now even the dealers are nice! i give up no wonder you can't find a bargain Toyota any more.

In keeping with that i saw dealerships of all makes from the other side during my 20 year stint driving car transporters, Toyota by far the nicest people to deal with though no doubt there's the odd exception, there that's put things in perspective...-:)

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Rerepo

As others have said, go to a Toyota dealer.

The Aygo X (pronounced 'cross') is actually the successor to your C1. The engine and underpinnings have much in common with your old C1 - although with lots of modifications and improvements of course. In fact the engine and (manual) gearbox and much of the chassis is identical to that used on the 2018-2021 C1 (the EU6.2 1.0 litre 6-injector engine and C551 gearbox). You could save money by looking for a low mileage 20/21 Aygo/C1/108 - not a lot goes wrong with these cars so they are a generally very safe purchase.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - badbusdriver

The engine and underpinnings have much in common with your old C1 - although with lots of modifications and improvements of course. In fact the engine and (manual) gearbox and much of the chassis is identical to that used on the 2018-2021 C1

The engine and (manual) gearbox may be as per the OP's car, but otherwise the underpinnings of the Aygo X are not the same the C1.

The Aygo X sits on a shortened version of the platform used by the current Yaris, Yaris Cross and Lexus LBX. Citroen and Peugeot badged versions were initially planned (which would have used the same platform) but they were cancelled.

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you all so much. I have learnt a lot and will take a deep breath and go along!

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - JonestHon

I wish you lot would stop telling everyone how good Toyotas are, now even the dealers are nice! i give up no wonder you can't find a bargain Toyota any more.

In keeping with that i saw dealerships of all makes from the other side during my 20 year stint driving car transporters, Toyota by far the nicest people to deal with though no doubt there's the odd exception, there that's put things in perspective...-:)

Lexus are a marginally nicer as the courtesy car is like-to-like without having to choose whatever is in.

Wow. Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Chris M

Out of curiosity I had a look at the Motorpoint Aygo X's mentioned upthread. They all show the balance of the 3 year Manufacturers warranty. The 10 year warranty is conditional on the vehicle having been serviced by a main dealer. Worth checking the service history for timely servicing as these cars were quite possibly courtesy cars and may have missed out.

From the Toyota website:

"Every new Toyota comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty followed by a 12 months / 10,000 miles additional warranty, with every qualifying service*. Up to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, letting you relax in the knowledge that you and your vehicle are in safe hands."

Thank you very much.

Just an update. I went to one showroom at the weekend and I had hardly pulled up when a car salesman approached my car. I was tapping on my phone; clearly not ready to get out and already he was asking me what I wanted (I barely got there!). Way too pushy. I then went to view a few cars for sale and I preferred the look of one car to the other. He also kept looking at me through the windows and this made me feel uneasy.

He came back out again and I told him I just wanted to be left to look around and I said one of their cars was more tinny than my own and he argued, "But it's the same as the one you have just a different name". He didn't respect what I was saying ??. I'll try somewhere else. Not a good start.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - FP

Unfortunately you have encountered one of the less attractive examples of the pushy car salesman. And statements claiming two different models are the same suggests either ignorance or willingness to mislead - both of which, I'm afraid, are characteristic of people you do not want to deal with.

Don't be disheartened. They're not all like that. Go elsewhere.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - daveyjp

Whilst in the looking stage if you are visiting local main dealers with cars on the forecourt go when they are closed. Easy this time of year as its light until late into the evening,

You can take your time, have the car details on the phone and judge which appeal.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - mcb100
I’m assuming that if someone came out to talk to you then that was a car supermarket and not a new car dealership?
From lots of observed experience, it’s always been a battle by a sales manager to get a sales exec to leave the warmth of the showroom…
Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - SLO76
I was a car salesman for many years, yet I also absolutely hate the process of buying a car from a dealer so I do it as infrequently as I can.

Thank you so much for your replies. They've helped me a lot.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - bathtub tom

My best experience was at Motorpoint. I knew what I wanted and had looked online at my nearest place. When I turned up, I explained which three cars I was interested in, was handed the keys, told roughly where they were (in the massive compound) and left to my own devices. I spent around an hour or more looking them over - they were all very well prepared and clean - found a salesman and asked for a test drive in the one I fancied most. That was immediately arranged (after checking my licence). I was happy, but explained I wanted to go home and 'sleep on it'. No problem. Next day I give them a bell and say I want to buy it. Arrange to go in that afternoon, complete the paperwork and drive it home.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - FP

I had an excellent experience when I bought my Mazda CX-5. By the time I turned up to the outfit in question, I had already driven two examples, had done my homework and knew what to expect.

The salesman I dealt with answered my questions (truthfully) and proposed a test drive. He sat in the back, with SWMBO in the front. I knew the area and chose a route that included motorway as well as minor roads. As I was about to complete what would have been a circular route, we realised the road was closed due to a carnival and had to retrace our steps, so the test drive was about 30 miles - almost double what was intended.

The car was lovely. I got a bit knocked off the asking price by rejecting the paintwork coating, interior anti-stain treatment and extra guarantee (probably worthless anyway). When I picked the car up a few days later, it needed fuel and the salesman went with me to the neighbouring filling station to ensure all went smoothly.

Eight years later, still a satisfied customer.

Aww.....that's lovely. Hope I'll get the same treatment eventually. So far, it's been negative and I'm in no way negative, but I don't think they take women (well, me), seriously.

I went to a car supermarket at the weekend and I saw one or two there, but the sales person struggled with knowing if the car had any warranty left on it from the manufacturer and gave me a price list of what to pay per 3 months for their own warranty.

I'll keep trying.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - catsdad

I have bought from car supermarkets twice in twenty years. And looked without buying at one other. Given what you have said about your nervousness in buying I don’t think they are best for you. They are totally about selling and unless you know your stuff you could end up with a car that’s not suitable.

Of course main dealers are about selling too but they tend to have salesmen who know something about the models that they stock. In my experience they tend to stay a bit longer in the job and may even be interested in having you as a repeat customer. You may pay a little more but your chances of getting a good car are higher.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - gordonbennet

Mich52, have you been to the Toyota dealership yet, you want an AygoX, seems probably the best place to go and unless you are very unlucky won't find some sharp suited shark waiting to pounce.

Toyota X - Scared to buy a car - Matt Arnold

Mich52, don't let car buying scare you! Here's a quick guide:

• Toyota Xs are reliable choices! Look at used Aygo Xs in your budget.
  • Do your research online: Features, prices, reliability ratings for Toyota Xs.
  • Bring a friend for support, even if they don't know cars. Moral support!
  • Walk away from pushy salespeople. There are other dealerships.
  • Consider used car garages instead: Might feel less intimidating.

Good luck finding your perfect car! Here are some resources to help:

• [WhichCar? Toyota Reviews](link to WhichCar? Toyota Reviews)
  • [Honest John Used Car Reviews](link to Honest John Used Car Reviews)