hdi rear brake calipers - AdrianM
The rear brakes on my 406 do not seem to be working properly - the inner faces of each disk show signs of corrosion which would suggest that only the outer pads are in contact with the disks when braking. I do remember (but dismissed at the time!) that for a while there was be a mild snap as I pulled away first thing in the morning - sounded like it came from the rear, poss the brakes binding when stood overnight?

I will be looking at them later today - any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Adrian

{edit to remove double make / model entry }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2007 at 13:45

Peugeot 406hdi rear brake calipers - DL
Adrian
This is typical 406 rear brake disc wear. Nothing to worry about. The sticking brakes (handbrake) is caused by a build-up of dust on the handbrake shoes in behind the disc. The handbrake shoes etc never normally get cleaned in normal service, hence this problem.

To cure the problem I would replace the rear discs and pads (not expensive at a motor factor) and give the handbrake shoes a good clean up when replacing the discs. All will be well after doing this.

Don't forget to remove the protective film from the new discs before fitting them.

Any problems, come back to me.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 406hdi rear brake calipers - LeePower
Also heres a tip qiven to me by a Peugeot mechanic at the main dealers.

Dont use the handbrake to stop the 406 unless its an emergency.

The shoes have a habit of self distructing if you do, even quicker if you use it going backwards, & those shoe are very expensive to replace.
Yep - I concur. The rear handbrake shoes are £110+VAT!!!!
--
At least they have gone down in price, They where £170 + vat 3 years ago.

The mechanic at the time also told me they where replacing at least one set a week.
Stupidly overpriced if you ask me, Lee.

I have fitted Motaquip rear handbrake shoes on 605's and 406's with no problems. I know where I would spend my cash!
--
Wasnt Motaquip something to do with Peugeot anyway?

Never changed the ones on my 406, well I only had it 6 months, what a lemon that was!

Ive got a 405 ( Much better built! ) & the spare parts like pad & filters are cheaper from the Peugeot main dealer then getting the same items from Halfords!
Yeah, Motoquip was (still is??) Peugeots 2nd-tier parts contractor as Unipart was to Rover until things went belly-up.

406 lemon? What was wrong? What model did you have?

Have to agree - the 405 is a very sturdy old bus, capable of very high mileges.
--
I had a 1996 N plate 406 GLX 1998cc 16 valve, I was the second owner, Its owner number 7 now!

Cambelt snapped, Speedo packed up & had to be replaced, Knock sensor failed, Radio went in to French for a few days & then back to English all by itself, CD changer jumped on the same corner too work every morning ( Fixed with bubble wrap lined inside the case by myself ) Exhaust middle pipe failed & back box lifts up & melts the bumper ( Classic Peugeot design fault, & fixed by me again with some tube, some exhaust paste, a clamp & a welder ) Peugeots sparky tried to fit an alarm to it & bodged the central locking so it would work ( It was only a Peugeot alarm after all, he wouldnt know how to fit it! lol )
Hydraulic tappets had to be replaced as they rattled worse then a Renault Laguna 2s dashboard.
Most of the faults where under warranty ( Thanks god! )
Got shot of it after 6 months, & got a well built car, a 1995 405 1998cc 8 valve Executive.

Ah, I now see your hate of 406's is well-founded Lee!

--
The mechanics down my local Peugeot dealer havent got a good word to say about 406s either! lol
Shame - coz I want a 110 406HDi to replace my A4 110TDi......
--
If the funds can stretch to it, go for the 136BHP HDI & get a good warranty!
136BHP HDi? By that, you must mean the 2.2HDi? Didn't know it was available in the 406?
--
Yeah, the 2.2, I think the GTX ( A very short lived model ) & the Executive had it.
Peugeot 406hdi rear brake calipers - CG
DL, if you are anywhere near Sussex my 406 HDi 2000 X plate (only a 90 I'm afraid) is up for sale!

CG
Now if it were a 110 Estate......I might be interested!
--
Sorry DL, a 90 Estate is the best I can do.........

CG
Shame, I could have been tempted!
--
Joking apart DL, I'm told there isn't a great deal of difference between the 90 & 110. The 90 is very smooth and flexible, qualities I rate. I have never had a problem with the performance of the 90 but then, at my advanced years, things like reliability and running costs appear higher than 0-60 time on the list of priorities. For comfort and load-lugging it's a lot of car and hard to beat at the kind of prices being asked for this spec and age. Why am I changing? Well, I use it for business and trying to street-park something that long in the suburbs of London isn't exactly my favourite task - so it's time for a 'down-size', particularly since taking the children here and there is now no longer required, apart from the odd run to S'ton Uni over the next 3 years.

CG
................I wonder where the thread originator has gone? Not a word since the initial post!
--
Peugeot 406hdi rear brake calipers - joejoe
sorry to but in but i have the same problem but with a new 207cc.The brakes seem to stick then release with a bang but hey the garage say its ok nothing wrong wonder if they would say that to a man !
hdi rear brake calipers - vmturbo

I'm working on a pre-HDi Peugeot 406 2.1 turbo diesel estate at the moment. It runs quite well but the brakes were/are pants and the HDi is probably quite similar. It was possible to re-use the front calipers as probably the engine heat means that they don't rust as badly as the rear calipers. New discs and pads plus careful fitting sorted-out the front.

The rear is a different story and the brakes are a heap of junk. The handbrake shoes eventually wear a tramline in the brake drum (integral with the disc) and this makes the disc quite difficult to remove. Incidentally the brake shoes are about the size that is suitable for a moped and presumably this is what causes the poor handbrake trouble. Replacing the shoes is a tiresome job and I suspect that at the factory the hub goes on afterwards. The problem as usual is hooking-on the return springs. Unlike on antique British cars the piece-of-string-method and the wire-coat-hanger-method won't work as the springs are too strong.

Obtain a long slender screwdriver with a shaft about 5 mm thick. File or hacksaw a slot in the centre of the blade. You now have a spring replacement tool! The next problem to be noticed is that the brake shoes will squirm about and go awry making the job very awkward. Obtain a luggage belt or a ratchet belt that is about an inch wide and put this over the brake shoes. Once the belt is tightened the shoes become rigid and one is then in with a chance. It is easier to push upwards when replacing the spring as one can then brace ones elbows against ones legs and give a strong two-handed shove. There are of course proper brake spring pliers out there somewhere (probably in a car factory) but such tools are seldom seen even in tool catalogues.

The caliper itself has infernal sliders that rust and seize. The hydraulic piston can also seize when rust gets underneath the chrome. It is not really a good idea to drill the old caliper slider area for grease nipples as the caliper might then be unacceptable for exchange, grease nipples can be added to the new one! At the time of writing a new piston costs £16 and a seal kit about the same. If an exchange caliper can be got for £50 (ish) it is hardly worth messing. Considering how much salt is put on the roads cars really need stainless steel marine brakes but pigs will fly before that happens.

Good luck!

hdi rear brake calipers - Peter.N.

I think the 406 Hdi is a brilliant car, mine has done 215,000 miles its nice to drive and will do 60+ mpg if driven gently, in the 25,000+ miles I have done its never missed a beat.

The 2.2 is a nice car but very thirsty compared to the 2.0.

I replaced the rear shoes on mine and they only cost a fraction of the stated price.

Edited by Peter.N. on 08/06/2013 at 23:59

hdi rear brake calipers - vmturbo

As to the prices of brake parts, they cost about a quarter or less of the price that the Main Dealers charge. IMHO anyone who goes into a Main Dealer (unless the car is in warranty) needs his sanity questioned as going there is a bit like having "Mug Me" tattooed on ones forehead.

As to the poor rear handbrake, on this model the brake is NOT self adjusting. One has to jack up the car after removing the wheel then faff about with a screwdriver trying to adjust the adjuster. X-ray eyes are a distinct advantage for doing this job. Another way is to remove the disc-drum and adjust the adjuster until it is only just possible to re-fit the drum.

You can see why the mechanics all walked out of that garage that changed from being a Ford dealer!