Warranty direct - anyone used them? - daveyK_UK
friend who recently purchased a rover 03 plate wants some peace of mind.

warranty direct quote -

Policy Type: Gold
£20.68 per month
£227.52 for 1 year cover
£455.04 for 2 year cover
£661.88 for 3 year cover
Policy Type: Driveline
£14.88 per month
£163.72 for 1 year cover

Make ROVER Mileage 20000
Model 25 IL (84)
Engine 1396cc (Petrol)
Manufacture date 2003

What do you reckon?

value for money?

they are tempted to go just for the driveline 1 year cover for now.

driveline cover includes -

Driveline Warranty

DRIVELINE COVER

Protection against the cost of parts and labour following a mechanical or electrical failure, cover against failure of a part or a part that is about to fail causing even greater damage including those parts that have failed due to wear and tear.
Claim limit = £5,000 per claim
Excess = £25

With Driveline Cover all of the following parts are covered and we will pay the parts and labour costs if you have to have something replaced. Parts not specifically mentioned are not covered

ENGINE
Cylinder head, Cylinder head gasket, Valves (excluding decarbonisation, Burnt or pitted valves and valve seats), Valve springs, Valve guides, Camshaft and bearings, Cam followers, Hydraulic lifters, Push rods and rocker gear, Timing gears, Chains, Belts and tensioners, Pistons, Piston rings, Cylinder liners and linear seals, Connecting rods and bearings, Gudgeon pins, Crankshaft and bearings, Oil pump and oil pump drive, Distributor drive gear, Distributor drive, Flywheel and ring gear, Flex plate/auto drive plate, Inlet and exhaust manifolds.

TURBOCHARGER
Internal failure of factory fitted turbocharger and wastegate.

GEARBOX MANUAL AND AUTOMATIC
Gears, Shafts, Synchromesh hubs rings and selector shafts and forks, Extension shaft, Torque convertor, Automatic transmission clutches and brake bands, Oil pump, Bearings and bushes, Valves and valve block, Governor and servo.

TRANSMISSION
Crown wheel and pinion, Differential gears and bearings, Bushes, Half shaft and half shaft bearings, Driveshafts, Bearings and constant velocity joints, Propshaft universal joints and centre bearing hubs and wheel bearings.

they will do just under 20,000 miles in the next year - worth taking out?

Warranty direct - anyone used them? - Blue {P}
Maybe worth it just for the headgasket cover alone.

I wouldn't get more than 1 year though, by the time that car's three years old it will be worth very little, after a year I would say that your friend would be better off putting the money in a pot and buying a replacement Rover if something serious went wrong, they should be able to pick one up for buttons.

Around here there are some 05 reg MG ZS 105+ models available with delivery miles for £6,999, with 2 year warranty included.... It doesn't do much for the values of the poor old 25 IMO!

Blue
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - Round The Bend
I obtained a quote online from them recently and was called by 2 of their salespeople within a couple of hours. They both said that the online price could be improved - so I suggest that your friend haggles.
Seem to recall that HJ has recommended them in the past.
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - top turkey
I'm currently in dispute with them over whether a problem I had with my car was a pre exisiting fault or not. I'm arguing it is a new fault (and hence covered), they are arguing that it is an existing fault.

Currently using the appeals proceedure.

As with any insurance company, I guess that they are only as good as their willingness to honour the policy when they have to put their hands in their pockets.....

TT
--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - Andy
I took out a Warranty Direct policy in June this year. I tried to claim for a headlamp wiper motor, guess what, it wasn't covered. How annoying is that?
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - Nsar
I compared them with Warrantywise whose cover seemed more comprehensive for about the same price, but I must point out that I didn't buy either, so cannot comment beyond that, but it might give you a lever on the price.
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - top turkey
Fair point, which is why WD don't let new policy holders use their breakdown service for the first 90 days of the policy (I think).

For older cars (mine is a 2000 plate) which do a higher mileage than average (24k per year) the chances of a fault occuring are higher than with a newer car so to be automatically suspicious of new claims to the point of refusing to pay for repairs based upon a conversation over the 'phone is, perhaps, a little too far?

I'll say no more whilst the appeal is in place and appreciate the need to refrain from making unsubstantiated statments here given WD's paid for advert over on the left.

Cheers.

TT

--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - Falkirk Bairn
My son took out cover on his BMW 3 series at expiry of warranty - first month Spring in rear suspension covered and they paid out £160 - the cover cost £200+

Following year
Car breaks down - Engine Mgt software updated - not covered.
Car breaks down 24 hrs later - exhaust sensor - not covered.

6 mths later water coming in at driver's footwell - £400 repair by BMW to seal welds in bulkhead - not covered

Solution

He went and bought a 6 mth old Japanese car (for reliability)

Admittedly if the engine blows up they would pay up but assuming the car was serviced on time but many common problems are not covered.
Warranty direct - anyone used them? - as003
In 2001, I took out 1 3 month warranty for my Rover 418GSD, for £120.00, so that I could sell the car. Guess what, within a few days, the alternator went on the car, and when I claimed, they said the claim was approved. All I had to do was book the car into a local garage, and send them the VAT receipt, which would be re-imbursed within 21 days.

Guess what, I am still waiting! Not worth the paper its written on, also they want the money yesterday, but you'll never get any of it back.

I now drive a Mazda 323, and it has been totally reliable!
The Japs know how to produce a reliable motor.

As003