idiot lorry drivers - milkyjoe
was travelling south down the a46 today ( dual carrigeway) and there where two lorries neck n neck for about 5 miles blocking the outside lane , these people are suppose to be professional drivers , every car driver including me were bunched up waiting for the cretin to pull over, if he aint got the power to overtake the other lorry why does he bother... anyway good luck all for the bank holiday im doing the garden!!!!
idiot lorry drivers - none
Sometimes it works the other way as well. I've often seen the outside lane of a motorway clogged up with stationary 'go faster' clowns, whilst the inner lane traffic (lorries) trundle past them at 56mph.
idiot lorry drivers - OldHand
Must be hard driving on a limiter though mustn't it? Especially if you're unladen and been following a heavy truck for the past 30 miles or so which slow you down on every climb.

I feel sorry for them to be honest. Plus if I'm lucky enough to be at the head of the queue behind them I get to floor my car in 3rd and go from 56 to 70ish as if someone fired me out of a catapult.
idiot lorry drivers - MagDrop
Not too long ago I followed two, one a heavy low loader, through long roadworks which reduced the M54 to one lane. I was going to do a catapult job too but the said LL stayed out in the overtaking lane at the end of the works. As it had a power advantage of about 1bhp (Brake Hamster Power) over the other they were neck and neck for about 6 miles. I drove a truck and drawbar trailer for several years. I would never have behaved in such an inconsiderate fashion - especially on a 2 lane motorway. I would also slow down when being overtaken if such a situation developed. It would seem to be a commonsense thing to do, in the interests of one?s profession if nought else.
I shall also be doing the garden this weekend. I prefer root-canal treatment to driving in this country on Bank Holidays.
idiot lorry drivers - mal
I prefer root-canal treatment to driving in this country on Bank Holidays.

Please do not mention root canal treatment on this forum again as I am having this done over two 1 1/2 hour sessions at a whopping £330!.......£110 per hour and you want to see the fancy Porsch he drives!
idiot lorry drivers - boxsterboy
I am having
this done over two 1 1/2 hour sessions at a whopping £330!.......£110 per hour and
you want to see the fancy Porsch he drives!

£110/hour? I bet that's less than he pays to have his Porsche serviced. And I bet the Porsche technician didn't have to do a 5-year degree like your dentist did!
idiot lorry drivers - Baskerville
Please do not mention root canal treatment on this forum again as I am having
this done over two 1 1/2 hour sessions at a whopping £330!.......£110 per hour and
you want to see the fancy Porsch he drives!

I'll do it in one session for £50. You supply the anaesthetic. How about it?
idiot lorry drivers - L'escargot
Must be hard driving on a limiter though mustn't it?

I agree. Time is money to a trucker and once the overtaker has got in front of the other truck they regain a chance of maintaining their schedule.
--
L\'escargot.
idiot lorry drivers - hbosken
Had exacly this scenario the other day - took 5 miles for one truck to pass (dual carriageway) - meantime the ambulance behind the truck in the outside lane continued to use his blues and twos........... Inside driver was driving a british truck (loaded car transporter), outside lane was german registered - twin axle tractor and three axle trailer.

idiot lorry drivers - stevied
And they don't realise their vehicle has a limiter at which stage of training?

I am sick of hearing excuses for these clowns.

If you choose to do a job, then you accept the shortcomings of the tool (no pun intended) in which you do it. If you can't get past quickly then stay where you are and stay out of my way. I DO NOT CARE if you have a deadline to deliver your plums to Little Hampton. I genuinely don't. Capitalism: the excuse for inconsiderate behaviour from a "professional"? Nice one....

And, finally, if they are professional drivers, then pray tell why does the one being overtaken go easy on the throttle for a few seconds to let the other one past? What is the excuse for that? "It's hard to regain momentum" or some such nonsense?
stay where you are and stay out of my way. I DO NOT CARE if
you have a deadline to deliver your plums to Little Hampton. I genuinely don't.

I imagine they don't care that you want to get to your destination either and they are better equipped to annoy and harrass than you will ever be. My advice, don't wind up truckers it isn't worth it really.

Just to point out I'm not making excuses merely offering what I think might be reasons for their behaviour.

I drive on 2 lane motorways all the time and I see the sort of behaviour others are decrying on a depressingly regular basis. Mostly I take it in my stride but occasionally you'll get a trucker who will pull out to overtake at the very last minute, no indication whatsoever on an otherwise empty road. That does wind me up as if he'd waited a few seconds I'd have been past and the only intention could be to impede my progress. However even in the face of this provocation I just sit back, think happy thoughts and wait till they get bored of their little game and pull back into lane 1. I then take out my frustrations on the loud pedal and blast past like a bat out of hell all the while thinking of what a crap driving life truckers have compared to me. Like I said, I feel sorry for them.

Have to admit though once the red mist did get the better of me in France when a truck didn't give way on a roundabout (his marked clearly cedez la passage!) at the very last moment lurching out in front of me. After I'd recovered my composure and checked my underwear for spoilage. I then overtook him and proceeded to drive at the speed limit in front of him (this annoys French drivers). I continued this for about 4 miles over an extremely hilly area getting down to about 10mph on some very steep parts of the road. As there were only the 2 of us I didn't feel bad about taking this slight revenge but on reflection it isn't something I'd do again. After all what if he decided to up the ante and punt me off the road?

Lesson learned on my part, now I just chill out.
i**** lorry drivers - Bilboman

Have you ever seen the early Spielberg film, Duel?

If you can't get past quickly then
stay where you are and stay out of my way.

My guess is that your strong point is arrogance!
--
L\'escargot.
OldHand, a very measured and reasonable way to my comments, making a valid point that it's not a good idea to wind up someone driving a truck (very true!!!)

Right, next point. I am arrogant why? Is it not more arrogant to impede other road users by driving like an imbecile, ie taking miles to pass another lorry driver? Why because there is business involved does that make his journey, and his arrogance, somehow more valid?

I am NOT saying I am never arrogant or thoughtless or unthinking, I am. Everyone is. But my point in itself is not arrogant. And that's a reasonable response to a personal comment. I think the other reply "that is absolute garbage, in my opinion" is more how I'd really like to reply, but I don't want to be accused of more arrogance! : )
idiot lorry drivers - a900ss
>> Must be hard driving on a limiter though mustn't it?
I agree. Time is money to a trucker and once the overtaker has got in
front of the other truck they regain a chance of maintaining their schedule.
--
L\'escargot.

In my opinion that is complete garbage!

If an unladen lorry gets past a laden lorry up hills then fine, the take is quite quick, holds up no-one and the unladen lorry can proceed at his limited speed.

However, to take 5-6 miles to overtake on the flat.... It won't matter if the lorries are laden or unladen, the thing holding them up will be their limiter, not the other lorry.

Besides, even if they did stay behind each a lorry that was doing 56.0MPH and they could go 56.1MPH, they would lose SECONDS out of their schedule over a busy day by staying behind the slower lower.

As stated, hills are a different matter but on the level it is complete inconsideration for other road users and they should get points on their licence.

PS - I have a HGV 1 licence and used it regularly for about 6 years up until about 5 years ago.
idiot lorry drivers - rogue-trooper
yes - hills!!! seems to be the favourite place for HGVs to excercise the 0.1mph difference!! Perhaps we can either have crawler lanes with HGVs banned from the outside lane, or just ban HGVs from the outside lane on certain stretches.

to be honest it does bug me when they take so long to overtake but I think that it is probably better than leaving a 4 foot gap between HGVs, with no safety margni to stop in an emergency

presuming a lorry is 20 meters long and it takes 1 mile to overtake (lets for the sake of things say a manoevure lasting 40 meteres) and that one lorry is going 56mph, then the other is going 1.72 mph faster. therefore in the example where it took 6 miles the overtaking lorry is going 0.2 mph faster (I think - too late in the week to be 100% sure on anything)
idiot lorry drivers - Mazda-Man
Had the pleasure of an HGV tailing me a few feet from the rear of my car in the 50mph roadworks on the A2 yesterday. When I eventually lost my tail he sped off weaving between lanes and doing exactly the same to other drivers!

Also had the joy of having an HGV pull straight out of a rest area whilst I was doing 60 in the inside lane of a dual carriageway and being overtaken by several other vehicles :-0

Suffice it to say HGV drivers aren't my best mates right now :(

idiot lorry drivers - Brian Tryzers
I reckon a truck with a 1 mph (0.45 m/s) advantage will take about 112 seconds to gain 50m (2 x 20m truck lengths, plus a 5m gap either end). In that time, at 25.5 m/s (57 mph), it will cover 2,850m, or about 1.75 miles. If the car behind had been able to continue at 31 m/s (70 mph), it would have covered another 650m in the same time.

But, if you look at the same figures another way, the same car, had the 57mph truck not been in the way, would have covered those 2,850m in 92 seconds. In other words, even two minutes stuck behind the truck have added only 20 seconds to its journey time. Even if it happens ten times (as it may well on the Yorkshire A1 that I'll be travelling later this month), the total effect is barely three minutes.
In the light of that, while some truckers' driving may appear boorish and inconsiderate (and in direct contravention of the Highway Code, which tells us not to perform any manoeuvre that might force another road user to change speed or direction), the effect on journey time is close to negligible.
idiot lorry drivers - arnold2
I cannot understand (or rather I can, as British governments bend over backwards for the road-transport lobbies) why we can't introduce the no-lorry overtaking schemes wide spread in Germany, and now being adopted in both the Netherlands and France. During peak periods lorries are banned from overtaking on dual-carriageway roads. With the widespread use of camera nowadays enforcement would be easier, too ....
I entirely take your point about time added on to the journey (see my previos post about what time it will add to the lorries journey), however I think that you are missing out one major aspect.

When the lorries take 5 miles to overtake, the build up behind them is immense. This causes other issues and time-delays. It bunches up the traffic increasing the liklihood of accidents through tailgating, it causes frustration for the masses rather than one driver. It is just plain inconsideration. It is the knock-on effect that the overtaking lorry driver does not care about and my belief is that he/she should.

I notice that on the A14 they have banned lorries from overtaking. I'm not sure of all the details (ie if it's on the whole road or certain sections) but I think that this will be rolled out further on two-lane motorways and fast A roads.
did you get a calculator for christmas willdebeest?
idiot lorry drivers - cockle {P}
I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.
A certain large utility company is about put limiters on all its fleet of vans, I believe one already does. All vehicles will be limited to a maximum of 70 apart from the vans over 2 tonnes GVW subject to a 60 limit on dual carriageways, 70 on motorways, they will be limited to 60 full time. This will create a fleet of vehicles unable to keep up with traffic on the motorways and only able to overtake a limited HGV at a gain of 4 mph maximum on a motorway. Happy days!
If this gets rolled out across all companies vehicles just imagine the impact of everything bigger than a Transit Connect being limited to 60 will have on the nation's road network.
Cockle
idiot lorry drivers - CGNorwich
"just imagine the impact of everything bigger than a Transit Connect being limited to 60 will have on the nation's road network"

Overall I suspect the effect will be safer roads for all
idiot lorry drivers - JonnyS
My company has just started doing this on some of its vehicles. I think it's 56mph for every vehicle as long as they are older than 51 plate and weigh more than 2 tonnes. I wonder if the company ure on about is the company I work for?>> I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.
idiot lorry drivers - FotheringtonThomas
just imagine the impact of everything
bigger than a Transit Connect being limited to 60 will have on the nation's road
network.

There would be less fuel burnt...
idiot lorry drivers - AlastairW
Tell me the 'large utility co' isn't transco. A friend of mine works for them and is already more than fed up with the 'performance' of his LDV Cub (aka Nissan Serena)
idiot lorry drivers - R75
was travelling south down the a46 today ( dual carrigeway) and there where two lorries
neck n neck ............................................

And your journey is more important why exactly?

You have the right to use that lane in preference to the truck why exactly?

The minimum speed limit is what on a dual carrigeway?

You have a god given right to go at 70mph why exactly?

When you can answer the above then come back and start a debate, until then chill, it took all of 5 minutes out of your life, what exactly could you do extra in that time?
idiot lorry drivers - Number_Cruncher
As another class 1 HGV holder, I think the truck drivers who do this are both ignorant and selfish.

It would cost the slower truck nothing to ease off the throttle for a second or two to allow the faster truck past once a rolling roadblock situation happens. I know this, because I have done just this myself*, because I was at least aware that there were other road users.

* In fact in the trucks fitted wih cruise control, I would set it to 53 on the motorway instead of 56, and, so avoid most of the rolling roadblock situations developing. This made for much less stressful driving, and didn't result in me missing any timed deliveries.

If the outer lane becomes forbidden territory for trucks, then, I think the ignorant truck drivers have got what they deserve, and, for me, it can't happen soon enough.

Number_Cruncher

idiot lorry drivers - Garethj

If I do 20mph down the next NSL A road, I'll print this off and stick it in the back window. I'm sure everyone will be fine with it.

I'm sure it's been posted above that you shouldn't do a manoeuvre that will cause another vehicle to change speed or direction - overtaking and blocking does that.
When you can answer the above then come back and start a debate

No debate is needed. It's inconsiderate driving, possibly worth some endorsement points on a "CD20". Any driver ought to know that.
No debate is needed. It's inconsiderate driving possibly worth some endorsement points on a "CD20".
Any driver ought to know that.

Thats a predictably pompous response, why are you allowed to overtake at say 10mph faster, yet if doing only 1mph faster you are restricted from overtaking!!!!!!!

I think many posters on here need to sort out their priorities in life as if 20 sec on their journey time is that important then I feel very sorry for them!
Thats a predictably pompous response why are you allowed to overtake at say 10mph faster
yet if doing only 1mph faster you are restricted from overtaking!!!!!!!

Because it doesn't block up the road for other road users. Not hard to understand.

I think many posters on here need to sort out their priorities in life as
if 20 sec on their journey time is that important then I feel very sorry
for them!

Now you are evading the issue. Re-read the original post.
idiot lorry drivers - Sprice
Maybe TU stands for 'Truckers United'?
Maybe TU stands for 'Truckers United'?

Maybe!!
I certainly was not evading the issue FT.

The fact of the matter is legislation has lead to this happening, it aint gonna go away, so live with it.

If trucks were limited to the inside lane only, then this would mean trucks could only go as fast as the slowest truck, when this happens deliveries will be missed, more trucks will be needed to do the same amount of work, so more congestion. The price of the goods we buy will have to go up to pay for the additional trucks and their drivers - Ok, so a bit of an over the top example, but valid none the less.

Or maybe we will have tighter legislation and the majority of freight, rather than the current 50%, will only be allowed on the roads at night...

The weight of lorries is going up all the time. When I was driving, it was 38t, I beleive it's now 44t. I think it is inevitable that we will get bigger trucks, limited to off-peak driving and limited to motorways. The final deliveries will then be taken by smaller trucks, maybe rigid 4 wheelers, into urban areas and during peak times. I'm sure it is going to happen, it's just a matter of when...
idiot lorry drivers - CGNorwich
"I think it is inevitable that we will get bigger trucks, limited to off-peak driving and limited to motorways. The final deliveries will then be taken by smaller trucks, maybe rigid 4 wheelers, into urban areas and during peak times. I'm sure it is going to happen, it's just a matter of when... "

You could take this a step further - The bigger trucks could have their own roads and run on rails - You could even join them all up and have one tractor unit to save energy. They would run between major destinations and would discharge their loads in places called station goods yards. Could even be developed for passengers.
You could take this a step further - The bigger trucks could have their own
roads and run on rails - You could even join them all up and have
one tractor unit to save energy. They would run between major destinations and would discharge
their loads in places called station goods yards. Could even be developed for passengers.

Pure pie in the sky, it will never work.
The fact of the matter is legislation has lead to this happening it aint gonna
go away so live with it.

Legislation dictates that driving without due consideration is an offence - there is no
such legislation that says "Thou shalt bung up roads and it is OK".

If trucks were limited to the inside lane only then this would mean trucks could
only go as fast as the slowest truck when this happens deliveries will be missed

But "trucks" are *not* limited to the inside lane only.

The only problem is when the road is blocked as previously mentioned. There are ways
to avoid this, also as previously mentioned in this thread.
idiot lorry drivers - Bromptonaut
TU, the bit I dont understand is why when, both trucks up against the limiter, it's taken three minutes to gain two trailer lengths on the rig in front it's then necessary to overtake.

Why not just ease and slipstream?
TU the bit I dont understand is why when both trucks up against the limiter
it's taken three minutes to gain two trailer lengths on the rig in front it's
then necessary to overtake.
Why not just ease and slipstream?

Mainly because over a 10 hr drive (not working time, actual driving time) that 2-3mph can be the difference between making it home for the night or making a timed delivery - and yes schedules are that tight.
>> Why not just ease and slipstream?
>>
Mainly because over a 10 hr drive (not working time actual driving time) that 2-3mph
can be the difference between making it home for the night or making a timed
delivery - and yes schedules are that tight.

We are talking of a *tiny* average time difference over the 10 hours, not 2.5 MPH - just to let
another lorry overtake.
idiot lorry drivers - Dynamic Dave
that 2-3mph can be the difference between making it home for the night

And what about the drivers that are being held up who also want to make it home for the night, or also have schedules to meet?
idiot lorry drivers - Westpig
>> that 2-3mph can be the difference between making it home for the night
And what about the drivers that are being held up who also want to make
it home for the night or also have schedules to meet?

so.... it's ok to cause a hold up for 5 miles, because the driver will get home for the night and/or meet a schedule?

i can't imagine that defence in court would hold much sway
i can't imagine that defence in court would hold much sway

And why would he be in court?

It is not against the law to be doing 1mph faster then the vehicle you are overtaking, it is not law that thou shall not inconvenience Mr Car driver who can go faster, since when has it been law in this country that the faster vehicle has priority?
It most certainly is an offence........s.3 Road Traffic Act 1988......Inconsiderate Driving

how can it not be inconsiderate to hold a whole queue of traffic up for over 5 miles? If you're trying to overtake something and can't get past, then surely anyone should think 'oh well, i'll just have to pull back in then'....shouldn't they?

It's not the holding someone up whilst you're overtaking that's the problem......that happens every minute of every day........it's taking 5 miles to do it that's the issue
And what about the drivers that are being held up who also want to make
it home for the night or also have schedules to meet?

What? you mean the ones that don't have limiters fitted and only get held up for a couple of minutes before they can accelerate, not sat at 56 mph or less for hours on end!
What? you mean the ones that don't have limiters fitted and only get held up
for a couple of minutes before they can accelerate not sat at 56 mph or
less for hours on end!

A couple of minutes I wouldn't mind. But when it happens continually it can add up to an hour onto the journey time or more.

Also when it's the same lorry driver causing a rolling road block for 5 miles or more, why not give up and pull back in behind the lorry he's trying to overtake, or the lorry being overtaken eases back slightly to let the other lorry slot in, in front of him so that the traffic being held up can be on their merry way.
why not give up and pull back in behind the lorry he's trying
to overtake

I can't see the car drivers behind liking it if he's level with the other truck and he has to slow down before he can pull back in again.
--
L\'escargot.
I can't see the car drivers behind liking it if he's level with the other
truck and he has to slow down before he can pull back in again.

It would be a damn sight quicker than waiting for him to eventually get past.
>>and yes schedules are that tight.

No - if they were, as many deliveries would be missed as made. Delivery schedules set this tight would result in lost contracts very quickly.

The figures you give are extremes;

10 hours driving - more usually 9
if 2 - 3 mph difference, the overtake would happen very quickly, and wouldn't pose a problem to other road users - the issue here is rolling roadblocks, which take many minutes and miles to complete.

Assuming that the overtake takes 80 feet, the following is for a 1, 2, and 3 mph difference in speed.

fps=[1 2 3]*1760*3/3600

fps =

1.4667 2.9333 4.4000
t_overtake=80./fps

t_overtake =

54.5455 27.2727 18.1818

fps is just mph expressed as feet per second

So, for a 3mph difference, the whole overtake takes 20 seconds or so, which isn't a problem, so, figures using 3mph as a basis for working out the distance lost over 10 ! hours are excessive.

It's only when the relative speed drops to 1 mph or less that the overtake begins to cause difficulty on dual carriageways.

Number_Cruncher

idiot lorry drivers - Pezzer
This old chestnut again............ I've always wondered why lorries cant have a 'push to pass' button, so that for a short period of time (say 10 secs every hour) they could be de-limited, to prevent this situation occurring.

(Or would the truck being passed simply do the same ....?)

P

idiot lorry drivers - Lud
(Or would the truck being passed simply do the same ....?)

Quite often, yes.

As Number Cruncher points out, the fault is with the truck being overtaken. All its driver needs to do is lift off for a moment and lose 3 or 4 mph, soon regained.

It would help of course if trucks didn't try to overtake each other uphill. It's much easier for them to regain speed on the flat or a downgrade.

But I do agree with posters who disapprove of trucks blocking the road in this way. They don't do it all the time but some are a bit of a nuisance. Can't say I am often inconvenienced in this way though.

>>t would help of course if trucks didn't try to overtake each other uphill.

Yes, that would be one situation where, if I were driving a truck being overtaken I would be loathe to lift off - because the speed might not be easily regained, especially if I were also forced to change down a gear.

Having said that, with the profligate levels of power and innumerable gear ratios that modern trucks have, it isn't a big problem on most dual carriage ways, where the gradients aren't all that steep.

To put this into context, the 1979 Leyland Buffalo on my father's fleet had an L12 engine, giving 220bhp; it had 6 gears, and was plated at 32 tonnes gross. It, and the Leyland Lynx and Octopus we also ran would routinely be found in the low, "crawler" gear, climbing the hills between the quarries around Skipton and Settle, and their deliveries in the Bradford and Leeds area. These trucks would be seriously held up if you lifted off during a hill climb - getting out and walking would be a potentially quicker way to the summit!

A modern, albeit plated at 38 tonnes, equivalent would probably have 350 - 400bhp and 16 gears. A different machine altogehter.

Number_Cruncher

In my hitch-hiking days on either side of 1960, mostly before, British HGVs were governed to 38mph in top gear. I believe most had four forward speeds, but some posh ones had a two-speed back axle giving overdrive on all gears. Don't know the sort of BHP output but they were quite small diesels, about five litres, run at highish revs. The only chance of exceeding the governed limit, which the more sporting drivers seized whenever they could, was to put the truck in neutral and coast downhill, which could be very exciting (not to say highly destructive in the event of anything going seriously wrong, in the days when main roads went straight through the middle of slumbering small towns...).

French trucks at the same time were far, far better. They had much bigger, lazier diesels stuck out in front where they didn't fill the cab with unholy and hypnotic clamour, and something like twelve gears operated by charming, hissing pneumatics. They went much faster much more quietly and comfortably. I used to wonder why our trucks were such carp, and concluded it might have something to do with taxation.

Snip

Reason here. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612

Particularly the paragraph "rather than editing, it may well come down to deleting the handful of persistant offenders replies, as it is a damn sight easier to do."

It's been mentioned to you by email, yet you still persist in quoting ALL the post in which you're replying to. (webmaster)

i seem to remember the lancaster mk2 with 4 merlin engines had a 10 minute superboost for emergencies but only 10 mins mind else they would be flying home with no engines
it's not just lorry drivers is it? everyone is becoming more selfish nowadays.

how come though when i drive to Scotland, that is generally not the case up there?

when i first drove there 3 years ago, with my now wife (her family live there) i couldn't believe my bad luck after a nightmare M6 and even worse drive through Glasgow, to get caught behind an HGV at the northern end of Loch Lomond where the road becomes 'interesting'.... I was amazed when at the first decent straight bit the lorry slowed down, indicated left and a huge great paw came out of the driver's window and waved me past.........where in England would that happen?

Furthermore all the single track roads near Fort William have police signs saying pull into lay-bys to let following traffic through.......all the locals do it, it's only the tourists that are too ignorant to comply.

how many horse lorries or tractors in England pull over regularly for following traffic?
another one, while i'm on a roll......if you were driving down an A road, on a nice day, in no real hurry.........how many of you would leave nice gap to a vehicle in front

or is the scenario likely to be.... 'stayed bunched up, to stop anyone else overtaking'
.*********
On the flipside I often dawdle along and see it as my pleasure to facilitate the progress of others........
idiot lorry drivers - Simon
>>The only chance of exceeding the governed limit, which the more sporting drivers seized >>whenever they could, was to put the truck in neutral and coast downhill,

Ah the good old 'silent top'. Although rather disappointingly only today did I let the truck I was driving 'go' down the hill towards J23 on the M1 northbound and it wouldn't go past 100k's, which is about 62mph.
down the hill towards J23 on the M1 northbound and
it wouldn't go past 100k's which is about 62mph.

Can't be much of a hill. I seem to remember hitting 70-odd in the middle of small Essex towns in a Tate&Lyle 12-wheeler with trailer... but perhaps time has gilded the details.
>>but perhaps time has gilded the details.

I like it!!
if you were driving down an A road on
a nice day in no real hurry.........how many of you would leave nice gap to
a vehicle in front

Lots of people... perhaps some feel pressured when there's someone else right on their tail
weaving around up their 'zorst pipe...
idiot lorry drivers - Simon
>>Can't be much of a hill. I seem to remember hitting 70-odd in the middle of small Essex towns >>in a Tate&Lyle 12-wheeler with trailer... but perhaps time has gilded the details.

Its a good hill and with the right truck and load you can reach 75mph before you lose your nerve and touch the brakes. It was just the one that I was driving yesterday wouldn't 'have it' so to speak.

To stir the mix up a little more if I am running along with one of my workmates and we come to a good downward hill on the motorway, my normal truck will easily pick up speed and sail past him (whilst both in gear - not out of it). Now you might not think this is strange but when you consider that I am roughly about 8 tons lighter than he is you would think the heavier truck would go downhill faster. Now I put this down to him having a 16 litre V8 580hp engine under his bonnet whilst I have a 12 litre 6cyl 440hp under mine. Plus his is an eight legger whilst mine is a six. I can only conclude that his engine and rolling resistance provide a bigger barrier to overcome when trying to pick up speed downhill.
idiot lorry drivers - valhalla
Oh how i long for the day when all you "perfect" drivers are speed limited.
There wont be any queue`s or accidents because you`ll all be prepared to "lift off" to let the car at the side of you do his extra 0.64 mph wont you?
But you wont try to overtake in the first place because your quite happy sitting behind the slightly slower car even though you know you can go faster...............
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah right!
Back to your mead and wenches you tiresome fellow.

We don't guffaw like that here. We snigger politely, if a bit nastily.
: )

Indeed. Caddish behaviour is unnecessary. And for my part, may I apologise for the tone of some of my comments (not the content, just the tone...) my only defence is that the world of luxury cars, or rather the people who own them, was unkind to me for most of last week.

It's funny to read them back with a glass of wine on a Bank Holiday weekend....
idiot lorry drivers - whoopwhoop
On the rare occasions you get stuck for mile after mile after mile behind some selfish idiot in a truck, blocking lane 2 of a dual carriageway, pass the time by phoning his company (phone no usually well advertised on the tailgate), ask to speak to the MD, and explain how selfish one of his employees is being, and what a negative image he is portraying of the company.

It'll make you feel much better, knowing that the driver will be taught the error of his ways when he returns to base.>> : )
idiot lorry drivers - David Horn
More dangerous are lorry drivers who lose control of their vehicles on steep hills. The M62 towards Rochdale as you come down from Saddleworth moor is an excellent example. I have been regularly passed by HGVs doing in excess of 80mph, presumably in neutral and just rolling along.

You're acutely aware that they couldn't stop within half a mile on that gradient, and they are barely within the driver's control.
...fun, fun, fun 'til his daddy took the Scammell away...
idiot lorry drivers - Sofa Spud
Lorry drivers have a job to do and when they start overtaking another lorry at the bottom of an incline they do not know the exact power, gearing or loading characteristics of the vehicle they start to overatke - it migh be slower to start with but pull better uphill. If the driver then decides to slow and pull in behind the vehicle he wanted to overtake, he will lose momentum, possibly have to drop a gear or two and end up losing time on the hill.

I am more bothered by drivers who think I should break speed limits (as hinted by tailgating) simply because they want to do so.
idiot lorry drivers - whoopwhoop
Lorry drivers have a job to do and when they start overtaking another lorry at
the bottom of an incline they do not know the exact power gearing or loading
characteristics of the vehicle they start to overatke - it migh be slower to start
with but pull better uphill. If the driver then decides to slow and pull in
behind the vehicle he wanted to overtake he will lose momentum possibly have to drop
a gear or two and end up losing time on the hill.
I am more bothered by drivers who think I should break speed limits (as hinted
by tailgating) simply because they want to do so.

What a load of pony!

So it's OK for you to pull out and start a manouvre which you don't know if you'll be able to complete or not, holding up all the traffic behind you? And then when you discover (shock horror) that the vehicle you're trying to overtake has the same limiter as you and you can't pass, it's OK to just sit there, because "you'll lose momentum" if you pull in?

I hope I'm stuck behind you one day - your boss and I will be speaking ;-)
What a load of pony!
So it's OK for you to pull out and start a manouvre which you don't know if you'll be able to complete or not holding up all the traffic behind you? And then when you discover (shock horror) that the vehicle you're trying to overtake has the same limiter as you and you can't pass it's OK to just sit there because "you'll lose momentum" if you pull in?
I hope I'm stuck behind you one day - your boss and I will be speaking ;-)

I genuinely don't understand why anyone would want to drive like that.....it is sheer ignorance and rudeness to hold up a line of traffic for a great period of time, for the sake of a minute or so loss of time, to pull back in..... and the justification, i wan't to get there quicker...selfish, selfish, selfish
Something to do with being a 'professional' driver and imagining that all the cars, vans etc. are just driving about for pleasure and to clog up the roads.

One can sympathise up to a point since the average HGV, 500hp and 12 gears or not, is probably a bit tiresome to drive over long distances, and long distances are what they are for after all.

But only up to a point. Getting in the way with lorries is the moral equivalent of dustmen making a disgusting mess on purpose, something they tend to do. It's because being a dustman is a carp job.
because being a dustman is a carp job.

I take issue with that comment- not only is it a job with massive worth to the community (far more than many others I can think of) I also think that denigrating them demonstrates massive snobbery. I'm sure many might look down on the career you or I have chosen. I'd be proud if any son or daughter of mine decided that was the job for them and they did well at it.

Anywayback on topic surely the point regarding the lorry drivers is that overtaking is perfectly legal and they have as much right to the road as anybody? Possibly considering the issue as if you were one of them might help?
Possibly considering the
issue as if you were one of them might help?

I had considered it in that way. I have defended truck drivers in several threads. Nor am I remotely snobbish about dustmen.

But I have noted over many years that some dustmen make a mess, obviously on purpose (I have witnessed them doing so on several occasions). I think they do it because they don't like some aspect of their job.

I think those truck drivers that drive selfishly, as some do, do it for the same reason. They don't like the job, project the blame onto others and punish them for it.

As I said, one can sympathise up to a point. But only up to a point.
idiot lorry drivers - bell boy
I think those truck drivers that drive selfishly, as some do, do it for the same reason. They don't like the job, project the blame onto others and punish them for it.
>>>>.
>>>>>>>>
i think you have hit the nail on the head here lud
some drivers do indeed do it for malice
idiot lorry drivers - Kiwi Gary
When I lived in Australia during the 1990's, truckies who agreed to have speed-limiters were given lower tax rates, so nearly all of them opted for the 100 km/hr [ a touch over 60 mph ] limited speed. However, in order to get extra power for overtaking, especially on hills, drag-racing off the lights, etc., the diesel "cold-start" button was pressed. Of course, things got a bit dark if you were in the following vehicle, but long hold-ups were rare. Howls of "pollution" were raised by those so inclined, and regulations were brought in to have the cold-start buttons installed outside the cab. Politicians in their comfy offices did fail miserably to take into account the ingenuity of the average Aussie truck driver.
Well put Lud.

Anyway, being a dustman is easy, because (punchline alert) you just pick it up as you go along.

I'm here all week. Try the beef.
idiot lorry drivers - bell boy
still a rubbish job though ;-)
You've wheelie bin thinking about this haven't you?

idiot lorry drivers - hbosken
Still, 56 mph is much better than what they do in the states - 44 tonner doing 70+ Not my idea of fun when they simply can't stop.
What have they got to stop for? Tumbleweed on the horizon?
Still 56 mph is much better than what they do in the states - 44
tonner doing 70+ Not my idea of fun when they simply can't stop.

how come the accident stats for lorries have gone up since the limiters were introduced?
idiot lorry drivers - csgmart
You're 'wasting' your time!
idiot lorry drivers - Micky
">idiot lorry drivers<"

I prefer the concept "idiot other road users". I try, I really try to drive around in a cocoon of serenity, observing the appalling driving of my fellow humane beans with minimal comment. But it never lasts.

It's fortunate that solitary shouting in the confines of a car can now be regarded as communicating via the handsfree and not impending madness.
i**** lorry drivers - Ana William

It can be frustrating when you encounter situations like this on the road, but it's important to remember that professional drivers are also subject to traffic laws and regulations, and they have to follow them just like any other driver. That being said, there are times when drivers may make mistakes or misjudgments, leading to situations like the one you experienced. It's always important to stay alert and focused while driving, and to be patient and courteous to other drivers, even when they're not behaving as we would like them to. Enjoy your bank holiday and good luck with your gardening!

i**** lorry drivers - badbusdriver

Enjoy your bank holiday and good luck with your gardening!

16 years on?

i**** lorry drivers - bathtub tom

Do I detect the whiff of AI (Artificial intelligence)? Ana William has revived another old thread, with a similarly pointless addition. What do others think?

i**** lorry drivers - Andrew-T

Don't know about any AI, but it does seem rather unnatural, and probably best ignored ?

i**** lorry drivers - Sofa Spud

Two lorries side-by-side on a dual carriageway is really just one of those minor nuisances on the road in the same way as farm tractors or stopping buses.

I'm much more bothered by lane-hoppers than I am by lane-hoggers. In the end, lane-hoppers cause more disruption and delay on motorways than lane-hoggers. Why? Because each time they lane-hop, they're likely to cause someone to brake. And, like the butterfly in Brazil causing a typhoon in the Philippines, someone braking sharply to avoid a lane-hopper might lead to one of those mystery tailbacks with no apparent cause 5 minutes later.

i**** lorry drivers - Brit_in_Germany

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

i**** lorry drivers - _

Do I detect the whiff of AI (Artificial intelligence)? Ana William has revived another old thread, with a similarly pointless addition. What do others think?

Ana has been registered a while, and most of the comments are bordering on what spammers do, but so far harmless if somewhat ordinary as if AI essay writing,

But don't worry We're watching...

Apologies Ana if you are real.

i**** lorry drivers - Engineer Andy

I get a distinct aroma of canned pork products following such posts.

i**** lorry drivers - Bilboman

Just a thought - now that, erm, how can I put this in a neutral, non-confrontational manner, the UK has apparently "taken back control", would it be possible/feasible/helpful to permit HGVs operating in the UK to drive up to 60, rather than 56 mph, on their speed limiters?

i**** lorry drivers - Adampr

Or just take the limiters off entirely. What are they even for?

i**** lorry drivers - alan1302

Erm...think you can probably work it out.

I actually can't.

I actually can't.

The limit the max speed that a lorry can drive.

I think they were originally to give drivers of smaller vehicles a sporting chance of passing them on the M'way without speeding ? Just imagine a rolling roadblock at higher speeds than we already have.

i**** lorry drivers - mcb100
I’ve never seen stopping distances for a lorry, but 38 tons of kinetic energy at 70mph is, I’d imagine, quite a thing to get stopped in a hurry.

They put the speed limits up in 2015 with no ill effects. Weirdly, they got very excited that it had 'increased safety' because there were fewer HGVs speeding. Presumably, removing all speed limits would therefore be a magnificent move??

i**** lorry drivers - corax

They put the speed limits up in 2015 with no ill effects. Weirdly, they got very excited that it had 'increased safety' because there were fewer HGVs speeding. Presumably, removing all speed limits would therefore be a magnificent move??

I can't remember what the problem was before they had speed limiters installed. Didn't seem to be any rolling road blocks then. Yes, there are some bad ones around, just like car drivers, but it seems a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with lorry drivers. Maybe they should be removed (drivers) so that the country can grind to a halt as soon as possible.

Edited by corax on 20/03/2023 at 13:21

I can't remember what the problem was before they had speed limiters installed. Didn't seem to be any rolling road blocks then. Yes, there are some bad ones around, just like car drivers, but it seems a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with lorry drivers. Maybe they should be removed (drivers) so that the country can grind to a halt as soon as possible.

Are the limiters not more of a 'safety' item to drivers can't exceed the limit and they don't have to worry about driving on motorways as they can just keep their foot to the floor.

At the risk of taking this off on a complete tangent, wouldn't it make sense to put limiters on cars for the same reason?

i**** lorry drivers - sammy1

At the risk of taking this off on a complete tangent, wouldn't it make sense to put limiters on cars for the same reason?

It would kill the performance car market at a stroke. My experience of cars all travelling at the same speed as in average speed camera areas doing 50mph on the motorway is that it makes it more difficult to change lanes especially if you are looking to leave. The speed limit on HGVs works very well and should not be changed.

It would kill the performance car market at a stroke. My experience of cars all travelling at the same speed as in average speed camera areas doing 50mph on the motorway is that it makes it more difficult to change lanes especially if you are looking to leave. The speed limit on HGVs works very well and should not be changed.

Who said they would all drive at the same speed? I mean, the limit is 70 at the moment and some people drive slower than that. As for faster, well, that would be illegal anyway.

In theory, yes. I'll let someone else suggest it though :-)

In theory, yes. I'll let someone else suggest it though :-)

Many cars already have cruise control, which can do the same job. And I believe some of them are clever enough to respond to any local speed limit ?

i**** lorry drivers - gordonbennet

Don't worry methods of restricting speeds for cars wil be along in due course, be careful what you wish for.

Having driven millions of miles limited to at first 60 mph and latterly to 55 (one operator limiting their vehicles to a heady 51) be assured you won't enjoy the experience, i won't bore you with the whys but here's a clue...other drivers.

i**** lorry drivers - HGV ~ P Valentine

OK, So I have read enough to make a reply but not all, but only want to clear up a few points as most has pretty much been said.

But, the attitude of some of you stink. We keep this country going, without trucks being on the road you would have nothing, the shops would be empty, the petrol stations would be closed ( remember the tanker strike ), the emergency services ( ambulance, police and fire services ) could not run at all, the hospitals would close, you would have no electric or gas in your homes/businesses, and no public transport. In fact it was TRUCKS that delivered the raw materials that allowed your home and car to be built in the first place, so yes in this regard our time is more important then yours because the generally public ( that is you, and us ) will benefit from us making our deliveries.

Time.

It is not that our time is "more important, even though it is" but unlike cars we do not have all day, and our driving time is limited to only 9 hours so we do not have the time to slow down behind a slower truck, we are also limited to a 15 hour working day if we do not exceed the 9 hour driving rule, so again it is not that time is money, we just do not have it to waste by letting every single car driver with no patience through.

Driving

As trucks are slow to accelerate ( but a lot quicker then the old trucks ) it is quicker for us to maintain our speed ( see time in first paragraph ) then to keep slowing down and speeding up, with diesel being 20p a litre more expensive it is also more economical on fuel, when the average truck does only 10 mpg fuel is a big factor when it takes £300+ pounds to fill the tank, and the companies get that money from all car drivers because that cost is passed onto the customers, in transport charges.

Hills

Although trucks are better at hills then the old ones, there is still a big difference in most vehicles, and often the road might go uphill halfway through an overtake, also there is usually a car hugging the bumper, as a professional driver you cannot do half a move and once you have started to overtake you have to try and finish it, and yes the vehicle inside should let you back in, but car drivers are not the only ones allowed an ego. Even if the speed difference is 1 mph you are still going faster and that means a truck has as much right to use the outside lane as anyone else.

Going down has the opposite affect, I was once on the same stretch of road as another vehicle, and to car drivers it prob looked like we where playing silly b*****s because we would swap places quite often, but what was really happening was the other vehicle was heavy and I was light, so on the downhill bits he was quicker, on the uphill bits he was slower. See ps bit at bottom.

Wind

Yes this is also a factor, with the angled bit on top of the cab the wind is passed over the top ( well mostly ) but it is still a flat fronted vehicle, when you are behind another truck then just like f1 the wind resistance is low, but as soon as you pull out it can slow you down and the truck can struggle to maintain its speed.

Weight

Already mentioned by others but yes a fully loaded truck will move different to an empty one, we also have to consider the load inside and drive in a way they do not fall over.

Roads.

I hope you all know that an A ( duel carriageway ) road is green background on direction signage, and motorways are blue. The law states that we are not allows on the outside lane of a motorway ( blue ) but are allowed to use all lanes on a duel carriageway ( green), there are very good reasons for this,

To allow us to overtake cars doing less then 50 mph, and do not tell me we do not get them.

As everyone is allowed on a duel carriageway we have too use the outside lane to get past Bicycles, buses, any other slow road users. If as suggested we are not allowed to use it should we crawl along behind a bicycle until they turn off.

Like cars some trucks are slower then others, as such we have to be given a lane to get past them considering the diff in speed between a fully loaded one and an empty one, or an old vehicle and a newer one.

Thankfully sometimes ( only sometimes ) the gov have more common sense then a lot of car drivers, a car can legally do 70 mph on a duel carriageway ( green ) but we have all seen them ignore the national speed limit sign ( increasing it to 70 ), and stick to 60, or in some cases even 50, if trucks are not allowed to use the outside lane then this person may have to pass more then 10 trucks before there is space for them to get back into lane 1 so you are only increasing the chance of being "stuck" behind a slower moving vehicle, the only difference being that it is a car in front of you and not a truck. Some people ( esp the old ) are scared to get alongside despite the obvious speed advantage.

Turning off means slowing down, esp on 2 lane duel carriageways as you are often turning into a country lane with little or no slip road, so as a truck driver you immediately move over the 2nd lane ( outside ) because you do not know how slow they are going to be both on the approach and how long it will take them to turn off. It falls under the remit of planning ahead, something they should be teaching car drivers but do not.

Ps The speed limiter only limits the speed when the vehicle is going under its own steam, it DOES NOT limit the speed on the downhill bits where the gradient increases you speed depending on the load you are carrying.

Two things:

1. I think everyone you're angry with posted 16 years ago. Their attitudes do, largely, stink.

2. My house was made from local stone between 1600 and 1800. No tucks involved!

Two things:

1. I think everyone you're angry with posted 16 years ago. Their attitudes do, largely, stink.

2. My house was made from local stone between 1600 and 1800. No tucks involved!

How about nips?

Joking aside, my house is a relative youngster having been built circa 1880 (also local stone, possibly quarried by prisoners)

:-)

i**** lorry drivers - SLO76
I see this regularly and it’s not the driver in the overtaking lane I’m annoyed with, it’s the driver in the slower vehicle who’s refusing to lift off for a few seconds - assuming they’re on level ground and not on an incline.

As a depot trainer for a large bus company I advise all my trainees to lift off if a bus or truck has the legs on them and starts to overtake. Do so and you’ll clear the overtaking lane quickly and stop inconveniencing other road users. It costs almost no time at all, I do not for the life of me understand why truck and bus drivers who are being overtaken don’t all do this, it’s selfish in the extreme to block the overtaking lane for miles and miles while forcing another vehicle to creep past at a fraction of a mile an hour.

That all said, it’s actually car and van drivers who cause most of the issues when we go to overtake. Sitting at 60mph in the inside lane and I go to pass at my limited 62mph they then speed up and I have to pull in again, then they slow down again and the manoeuvre has to be repeated, often several times before they either put the foot down or sit at a steady speed to allow me past. I simply don’t understand why anyone would actively want a near twenty tonne coach to be sat close behind them or stuck beside them struggling to get past. Foot down and get out the way or lift off to let the large vehicle past.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2023 at 11:11

What I would say on this subject in general is that I used to get very hot under the collar about this sort of thing. These days I have finally understood that the truck will pull back in soon and I can continue on my way. Indeed, I generally either flash to let trucks into the lane or move over into lane 3 when I see them indicating. 99% of the time, you will get an acknowledgement back from them through the old disco indicators. That means you've helped someone a bit, they've thanked you and everyone's a bit happier.

i**** lorry drivers - Ma83
Same with me, at some point I got the feel for when one will be able to pull past, it’s usually just a bit silly for a couple of minutes. I just chuckled reading this thread and then seeing its 16 years old because when I was younger and doing a lot of motorway trips with my brother we’d see this scenario all the time, especially on the 2 lane parts of the A1 and we’d always joke about someone throwing things out of the back of one of the lorries to make it lighter and faster than the one next to it which obviously looked identical.

Everyone gets annoyed don’t they when they’re in a hurry and someone’s in the way! I’m sure there are more ‘i****’ car drivers than lorry drivers by virtue of the training they have to do. It’s always a lot more noticeable when it’s a lorry involved. Funny about the AI too.
i**** lorry drivers - sean pargeter

Lorry Drivers are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. They are seen as nothing more than an inconvenience. People have short memories as it was not too long ago HGV drivers were in extremely short supply. Shop shelves were empty and no fuel at the petrol station. They weren't an inconvenience then. I would not like to be a lorry driver with the attitude other road users have of them. The vast majority of HGV drivers are professional, skilled and dedicated tot heir job. This should be recognized and appreciated more by the general public. I run a small HGV training company is Surrey. deleted and the feedback we get from our HGV drivers is they are treated like something you will find on the bottom of ones shoes. Love a lorry driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Xileno on 10/04/2024 at 12:44

Hope you’re training drivers to lift off while being overtaken by another truck or bus, it seems not to be the done thing with most HGV drivers. I always lift off for a few seconds to let a truck or bus that has the legs on mine to pass as quickly as possible. As mentioned before it’s not the truck that’s overtaking that’s causing the holdup, it’s the one on the inside who’s refusing to lift for a couple of seconds.

Also on a recent trip south of the border I had an enraging encounter with two HGV drivers who were blocking traffic from overtaking on a dual carriageway because there was roadworks a few miles up ahead and resulting queue ahead showing on satnav and on roadside signs. They continued this for miles in order to gain a few minutes in the slow moving traffic that was miles ahead of where they were. Ahead of them was several miles of clear road but none of us could get past as they sat side by side for miles to block us. I was raging and the middle finger was deployed on passing along with dozens of other angry drivers behind them. This is the kind of nonsense that gains truck drivers a bad name.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/04/2024 at 12:25

Amen to that !

Also on a recent trip south of the border I had an enraging encounter with two HGV drivers who were blocking traffic from overtaking on a dual carriageway because there was roadworks a few miles up ahead and resulting queue ahead showing on satnav and on roadside signs. They continued this for miles in order to gain a few minutes in the slow moving traffic that was miles ahead of where they were. Ahead of them was several miles of clear road but none of us could get past as they sat side by side for miles to block us. I was raging and the middle finger was deployed on passing along with dozens of other angry drivers behind them. This is the kind of nonsense that gains truck drivers a bad name.

But why?

Genuine question. I'm more than a bit baffled why having to go at 56ph rather than 70mph for several miles need result in so much bad feeling and anger?

You don't say how long this went on for, but lets say 10 miles. At 56mph it will take a little more than two minutes extra to cover those 10 miles.

That is about the same time it takes to (properly) pour a pint of Guinness. I wonder how many drinkers rage at the bar person and give the finger because of how long it has taken for them to get their drink?

IMO, the problem here is nothing more than impatience of car (and van) drivers, and their intolerance towards anyone who dares hold them up.

Also utterly baffled by the notion that the driver of the truck being overtaken is the problem. And to be clear, assuming long as the truck doing the overtaking did eventually get by (and assuming there wasn't an emergency vehicle with blue lights flashing also waiting for the overtake to finish), I don't see either of them having done any wrong. But, if you do see wrong-doing in this situation, then both drivers were equally at fault. Yes, the driver being overtaken could have lifted off. But, if the speed difference was so slight, the driver overtaking could have just sat behind.

“ But why?

Genuine question. I'm more than a bit baffled why having to go at 56ph rather than 70mph for several miles need result in so much bad feeling and anger?

You don't say how long this went on for, but let’s say 10 miles. At 56mph it will take a little more than two minutes extra to cover those 10 miles.”

These two drivers blocked the road as a rolling roadblock for miles while the outside lane was clear. The jam would’ve been far shorter had both lanes been used. It was done so that they wouldn’t have to wait behind the vehicles that would have overtaken them when they finally reached said roadworks. It was ignorant and illegal. Had I had a dash cam they would’ve both been reported for obstructing the highway. I was livid, as were the huge pileup of cars stacked behind them. They possibly saved themselves (two trucks) a few minutes, but inconvenienced dozens of other people in the process. I despise ignorance like this.

“ Also utterly baffled by the notion that the driver of the truck being overtaken is the problem.”

As a bus/coach driver I am regularly overtaken by other heavy vehicles and in order to avoid inconveniencing other road users I lift off the accelerator slightly to allow them to pass quickly rather than holding up dozens of other road users for miles and miles as one truck or bus creeps past at a fraction of a mile an hour. As a trainer I drummed this into new drivers. Be considerate, a few seconds travelling at 5mph less won’t inconvenience you but it clears the overtaking lane much more quickly. Surprised a bus driver wouldn’t get this, but it is very much the fault of the driver in the inside lane. If the other large vehicle has a bit more speed than you (it might only be 1mph) and they pull out to go past then lift off for a few seconds to help them and those vehicles behind them. It’s about being a considerate driver. This should be part of new driver training.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/04/2024 at 16:58

These two drivers blocked the road as a rolling roadblock for miles while the outside lane was clear. The jam would’ve been far shorter had both lanes been used. It was done so that they wouldn’t have to wait behind the vehicles that would have overtaken them when they finally reached said roadworks. It was ignorant and illegal.

Given how often car drivers complain of being held up for many miles by one truck very slowly passing another, not sure you could possibly know this was a deliberate ploy for the reason you say?. Either way, it doesn't change the minimal amount of time you and the others were actually held up.

As a bus/coach driver I am regularly overtaken by other heavy vehicles and in order to avoid inconveniencing other road users I lift off the accelerator slightly to allow them to pass quickly rather than holding up dozens of other road users for miles and miles as one truck or bus creeps past at a fraction of a mile an hour. As a trainer I drummed this into new drivers.

I'd have thought the importance of patience and remaining calm in potentially stressful situations should be much higher up the drumming-in scale than being mindful of not holding up car drivers.

“ Given how often car drivers complain of being held up for many miles by one truck very slowly passing another, not sure you could possibly know this was a deliberate ploy for the reason you say?. Either way, it doesn't change the minimal amount of time you and the others were actually held up.”

The traffic on the inside lane was moving slowly, the truck was sitting alongside the other at the same low speed, I’m not talking about two trucks neck and neck at 56mpg. They purposely blocked everyone from passing in the clear outside lane. It wasn’t the time that made me and many others angry on the day, it was the sheer ignorance.
i**** lorry drivers - gordonbennet

Ah they were doing a lane blocking routine to stop others passing everyone already queueing and force in at the end wehre presumably a lane was closed.

Old school meets new and the two don't agree, old British way is to queue in an orderly fashion, new school is to use both lanes and (hopefully) merge in turn at the pinch point, or as some would see it queue jump.

I can see both arguments.

You don't find me doing this by the way, i keep an eye on google traffic and use alternative routes for our interminable road works, hate queueing as much as anyone, satnav generation have little or no idea where they are so unless the thing instructs them to divert they're stuck, good, less traffic on the chosen alternative.

No point in getting upset on the roads, our country is going to increase rapidly in population due to deliberately planned constantly increasing mass immigration, an increasing population means a proportional increase in trucks to service their needs, more trucks still due to the extended journey times cos traffic, there's no getting away from this, so everyone no matter how much they detest truck drivers (trust me they do, i've been doing this for 48 years now and we're still detested, as the posts on this and other threads show regularly) will just have to get over it, you've all been voting for it after all.

i**** lorry drivers - Metropolis.
Some people get very irate at people they deem to be queue jumpers, whilst others including me see it as complying with the highway code’s rule to merge in turn. If everyone stayed left immediately, you end up with double the length of queue and the potential to cause blockages at junctions much further back. I must admit it is also quite enjoyable to overtake those who don’t apply this logic :-)
Some people get very irate at people they deem to be queue jumpers, whilst others including me see it as complying with the highway code’s rule to merge in turn. If everyone stayed left immediately, you end up with double the length of queue and the potential to cause blockages at junctions much further back. I must admit it is also quite enjoyable to overtake those who don’t apply this logic :-)

Agree.
“ Ah they were doing a lane blocking routine to stop others passing everyone already queueing and force in at the end wehre presumably a lane was closed.”

Only the lane wasn’t closed until several miles further down the road. The overtaking lane was clear and the vehicles that should’ve used it were stacked up behind these two. Even if it was less distance away both lanes should be used until you are near the lane closure, not several miles from it.

I personally agree with the AA and the RAC on this.

“ Where traffic is queuing and moving slowly you should use all available road space in both lanes with drivers at the front of the queues taking it in turns to 'merge in turn' or 'zip merge' as the Americans call it. This can help reduce the overall length of the queue significantly and minimises the risk of disruption at junctions further back up the road.”

www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/merge-in-turn

Edited by SLO76 on 10/04/2024 at 19:15

“ I'd have thought the importance of patience and remaining calm in potentially stressful situations should be much higher up the drumming-in scale than being mindful of not holding up car drivers.”

Remaining calm and aware of your surroundings, trying your best not to hold people back and ignorantly delaying their progress is all part of remaining calm and in helping others do the same. Those two highly ignorant truck drivers infuriated a lot of people on the day in question while I as a considerate heavy vehicle driver would never have done so.
i**** lorry drivers - expat

About a year ago I was on a two lane arterial road that was congested and moving slowly on both lanes. A guy in a car came roaring up the gravel verge overtaking us all. About a kilometre later I came up on him. He was stuck on the verge which had ended at a culvert and was trying to push his way into the line of crawling traffic. No one would let him in. He was red in the face and you could see him shouting and screaming. I didn't let him in either.