Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Mr Fox
I am replacing my company car, for the last 4 years I've had a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D, which has been a very relaxing, dependable and reasonably quick car.

I have a choice from a fixed list, and have discounted already the Ford Mondeo 1.8 TDCI ( underpowered & ubiquitous) Saab 1.9 TDI 120 Linear - Old and unattractive, Mazda 6 - Unbeleiveably plasticky and tinny, like a 1980's Datsun Cherry with its corduroy seats. and Amstrad HI FI Dashboard. How they manage to sell any of these I can not imagine.

Also Honda Accord EX GT - not enough Legroom. Vauxhall Insignia Exclusiv Nav 160 - Looks nice but what about the imminent demise of GM.

I have ruled out another Toyota, as the local dealer is a load of rubbish, when I enquired about a test drive, the guy never even lookd up from his desk, just said he hadn't any cars to show me, I pointed out that other dealers such as Audi were virtually begging me to take a test drive. . .

So I have test driven both the Passat CC 2.0TDI and Audi A4 2.0TDI, both of which I absolutely love, for different reasons, but they have a feeling of solidity and calm, which I appreciate.

The Passat CC has wonderful presence and raffish charm, the Audi has a slightly more mature feel about it, the suspension is a bit softer but both are fantastic cruising at 70 - 80 on the motorway in near silence.

I am finding it very hard to make a decision, although I can have a DSG auto gearbox on the Passat, which I have heard good and bad things about.

Has anyone lived with a Passat CC for any time ? I am slightly concerned about the visibility when parking / manouvering.

I look forward to your comments
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Collos25
Thats funny because the accord has more leg room front and rear than the Avensis and the Audi.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - BB
The Accord EX I just bought is the first cars I have ever bought that does not require the seat to go all the way back. Im 6ft 2".
It wasn't funny, I could not find a comfortable position behind the wheel of the Accord, the total amount of space may be more than other cars, but the way it is arranged did not suit me personally, I have nothing against the car itself, but it is not for me. I am 6ft 4 with long legs, blonde hair and green eyes

Edited by Mr Fox on 14/08/2009 at 11:34

Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Sam49
If you are ruling out the Mondeo because it is ubiquitous, then should you not rule out the A4 too?

I'd go for the Passat. Never driven either but purely for the "it's a bit different" factor.

I have had a hired Insignia for 3 weeks or so - once I worked out what all the buttons did I really liked it. Felt classy, but unlike you I hated the looks! Especially at the back - all lumpy. There was also very little headroom in the back and I'm under 6'
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - rtj70
One things to take into account when choosing between the Passat CC and Audi A4 - will you ever need the use of 5 seats? The Passat being a four seater.

You might like the upcoming A5 Sportback 5-door if it appears on the list for you. A little bigger than the A4 and a hatchback. But it is more expensive.

Edited by rtj70 on 14/08/2009 at 12:09

If you are ruling out the Mondeo because it is ubiquitous then should you not
rule out the A4 too?

Well I really ruled it out due to the small engine, it seems a very impressive car, but the version I was offered did without any toys, and with a 1.8 engine it would be torturous to drive.
Seems on an list. A Passat CC 2.0TDi costs a lot more than a Mondeo 1.8TDCi. It must be due to residuals I guess.

The Passat is a nice looking car but so is the Audi. If this was me, part of the decision would be based on monthly cost to me, including how much tax I'd be paying for the car.
sq
Yes the residual values dictate the leasing cost as much as the List Price, so you can have a more impressive car, if it holds its value.

In my case the costs per month are around £ 75-85. the most expensive is the Passat CC due to the Auto Gearbox, but its only a matter of £10 or so per month, and i could choose a manual Passat, which would be the same. I do like the Idea of an Automatic though, very relaxing to drive.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/08/2009 at 19:03

Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Collos25
You can move an Accord seat in every direction likewise the steering so how you cannot find a comfortable position beats me build quality is far in excess of any other car you have mentioned and here in Germany they came out as the best car in both the JD power and the ADAC league tables both the Passett and the Audi are both due to be replaced preview models already in Autobild even the Germans have left VAG in droves because of their poor quality.I used to have a Accord executive estate 2.2d I know have a Mercedes and the Accord was the better vehicle without a doubt.
sq

The Audi A4 is a New Model, the Passat CC was only introduced in 2008.

Whilst you might like your Honda, and I'm sure plenty of people do like them, even Germans, I was not convinced, by many aspects of its design, so I decided to remove it from my list.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/08/2009 at 19:03

Don't forget the Passat is a twin-clutch style gearbox with an automatic mode. It is not a traditional torque converter automatic gearbox.

Make sure you can live with the electronic handbrake in the Passat and Audi.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - LikedDrivingOnce
Don't forget the Passat is a twin-clutch style gearbox with an automatic mode. It is
not a traditional torque converter automatic gearbox.

Yes - very good point! Yet another thing in the Passat's favour. IIRC, the A4 2 litre diesel has to make do with a CVT automatic gearbox.
Make sure you can live with the electronic handbrake in the Passat and Audi.

I'm pretty sure that these will be in all cars eventually - just like those pathetic "Start" buttons for the ignition.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - RickyBoy
'I am 6ft 4 with long legs, blonde hair and green eyes'

...then we should arrange to meet sometime? Ooops, sorry, you're MR Fox, hah!...

'I do like the Idea of an Automatic though, very relaxing to drive.'

...I couldn't agree more. There comes a time in one's life when one should reward oneself with a little luxury for one's endeavours, etc. My next (final) decent purchase will definitely be an automatic...
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - aaflyer
RickyBoy: an automatic doesn't have to be a splurge: my i10 auto' was only around 8k.

Then again, decent purchase, might mean an A6 or 5 series?!

All the best

AA
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - daveyjp
DSG is now an option on the A4. I've also tried hondas but there's something about Japanese interior design I don't get on with. My dads Jazz is the same as was the Subaru I test drove.
DSG is now an option on the A4.

Glad to hear it. It is just what the A4 needs.

The Audi website must be out of date, then (which is entirely possible). They still show the A4 2.0 Diesel as multitronic (CVT) or manual.

You have to go petrol, or 3 litre diesel to get a decent automatic box, according to the website.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Bagpuss
From those two, I would take the Passat CC. Fabulous styling inside and out. Plus, who can resist those frameless windows?
Or if this list is based on residuals, check if the A5 Sportback will be available ;-) Also has frameless windows I think.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - midlifecrisis
I considered a Passatt CC as a future replacement for my car. Love the first three quarters of the car. Then you get around the back and see that very dodgy back end. It just well.....odd!
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Pugugly
Audi any day. Nice car the A4 in particular with the new engine.
I'm wondering when they will fit the same detuned 20TFSi engine from the A5 into the A4. It has 180PS and low emissions (same as the 200PS engine and lower than the 1.8TFSi) making it an option for company car drivers if your personal mileage is not that high.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - gordonbennet
Mr Fox, why not try another Toyota dealer and have a test drive in the new Avensis.

Yes it's got the stupid electric handbrake that works the opposite way to every other car on the planet, but apart from that it's a very substantial well put together car.

Diesel auto especially is very smooth and enjoyable, well worth a test.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - scott1s
How about treating yourself to a really nice car and getting a 159? With the new engines imminent, some great deals on the 1.9 JTDmor 2.4JTDm, ar wait for the new 200bhp 2.0JTDm or even the 1750TBi Petrol.
He didn't mention if Alfa Romeo's were on his list - I suspect not. I think I'd go for the Audi A4 but do like the Passat CC too. My car gets replaced in two years but every now and then I do quotes on our fleet website.
How about treating yourself to a really nice car and getting a 159? With the
new engines imminent some great deals on the 1.9 JTDmor 2.4JTDm ar wait for the
new 200bhp 2.0JTDm or even the 1750TBi Petrol.

I must admit I love the look of the Alfa 159, but I have to pick from a fixed list based on List price & Leasing rate. . .
Diesel auto especially is very smooth and enjoyable well worth a test.

GB, when I was looking for a new car a few years ago the Avensis was on my shortlist. I was thoroughly impressed with it - Quality, performance, kit and practicality. The only snag that they did not do an Diesel Auto - I just can't drive a manual any more, so I didn't buy it.

Now they go and improve the car and provide a nice Diesel Auto box....and they drop the hatchback.

Why? Why make the car LESS versatile? It makes me want to scream sometimes.
Why? Why make the car LESS versatile? It makes me want to scream sometimes.

I suppose they'd argue that the estate version whatever it's called caters for that market, though i agree with you.
They must have their reasons, but i understand your frustration

I'm disappointed that it's taken so long for Toyota to fit a proper auto box into a good large car, as they've been fitting autoboxes to Diesel cars and 4x4's for many years, though the cars just were not available here unless you bought a grey, they must have lost many sales.
Plus if they'd offered a proper 6 cyl 3+ litre Diesel in Lexus cars from the beginning they'd have sold by the gross, i'd be running one.
Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - Gotanoldhondar

I am planning on changing my Audi next month and having looked at the passat
and the mondeo i have decided to buy the Honda accord diesel auto used,very refined
quiet diesel engine,best seats ever,smooth auto box,great value for money as used buy and
pretty cheap to tax and insure.

I have done 100000mls in five years in two Audis with just bulbs replaced, so Honda will
have to be reliable but i am not worried.
Mr Fox why not try another Toyota dealer and have a test drive in the
new Avensis.

SQ

I would have had another Toyota except the one I have now is a 2.2 T4 and the one they proposed on the infamous list was a 2.0 TR which is a backward step, especially as the New T4 is loaded with goodies and leather seats.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/08/2009 at 20:06

Passat CC or Audi A4 ? - daveyjp
The Audi website must be out of date then (which is entirely possible). They still
show the A4 2.0 Diesel as multitronic (CVT) or manual.

You are correct, which is strange as I'm sure it was an option earlier this year as my local dealer priced one for me.
Is the Multitronic CVT that bad as a box? Thinking from a fully maintained company car angle on this so do not include long term costs ;-)
You are right rtj70 - Most drivers of Multitronic boxes will be happy with them, and like the relaxed driving style that they encourage. And they will be fully covered as company cars in case the worst happens.

Audi are probably my favourite manufacturer, but I have to mention that a frighteningly high proportion of Multitronic boxes have problems, turning them into being pigs to drive - whereupon the poor owners get little help from dealers.

If you google "audi multitronic problems" you get an impressive number of hits.
But from new as a company car these might be fine. If problems later not the issue of the OP. Or me if I get one as my next car. I don't care if they last only 48 months or whatever. And why would I?
I don't care if they last only 48 months or whatever. And why would I?

Because you're rewarding that company by knowingly buying into a poor product, thereby encouraging them to carry on making more of the same.
I've made my mind up and ordered the Passat CC with the DSG Gearbox.

It seems much bigger than the A4, when I had the seat right back in the A4, my head was behind the B pillar.

Plus it has a bit of novelty value, both have exactly the same engines.

So Hope it turns out OK.

Will miss the Toyota's Estate facility though . . . .
I think either car would be fine. Enjoy it when it arrives. I bet the Passat CC no longer exists when I get my next car.