The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Discuss any issue relating to EVs

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 2. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 31/10/2023 at 08:18

N/A - Ford do warns all EV manufacturers - Speedbird 747

The EV market is collapsing in the US.

https://youtu.be/T7i_nRC_Kt8?si=RqsieUHgySuzxsXY

N/A - Ford do warns all EV manufacturers - alan1302

The EV market is collapsing in the US.

https://youtu.be/T7i_nRC_Kt8?si=RqsieUHgySuzxsXY

Not even going to watch any of that - the first few words of the description is 'Are Ev's a Scam' Obviously the video is going to be very click baity.

N/A - Ford do warns all EV manufacturers - HGV ~ P Valentine

I found this video very hard to watch, maybe my eyes are tired but, the flash of figures throughout, the frantic leap from the end of 1 part to the next, hurt my eyes. Also, the speed of the talk made it hard for my ears to keep up. But some useful info, not sure I believe ford would invest billions and then say , oh no we got it wrong going to stop now.

N/A - Ford do warns all EV manufacturers - Brit_in_Germany

If you look at the October sales figures in the US, you would see that EV sales are booming.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - HGV ~ P Valentine

Bing Videos

A video where the guys speaks clearly, and takes his time to talk slow enough to be understood. It is about the ford american market.

ev - Cost of charging - HGV ~ P Valentine

Why it can now cost MORE to charge an electric car than fill up a petrol one (msn.com)

This article is from america, but considering how much they influence the global market, I am wondering if the same applies here, or will apply in the near future.

ev - Cost of charging - badbusdriver

Why it can now cost MORE to charge an electric car than fill up a petrol one (msn.com)

This article is from america, but considering how much they influence the global market, I am wondering if the same applies here, or will apply in the near future.

It does. If you paid attention to other forum members posts about EV's, specifically SLO's, you will know that public fast chargers often do cost more.

Not really news is it?, and no real need for this to be anywhere other than in the Electric Vehicle thread.

ev - Cost of charging - movilogo

My current car is hybrid. While it can travel a short distance in EV mode, unless I'm looking at rev counter it is hard to differentiate when it is running as EV vs ICE kicking in. Yes, there is sound from engine but majority of noise comes from tyres and wind.

I also noticed that unlike an ICE only car, which gives better mileage on long journeys, I'm getting better mileage in short journeys - not surprising considering EV kicks in more frequently for around town journeys.

For me HEV seems like best of both worlds - getting some advantages of EV yet none of the disadvantages of EV. Price wise, HEVs cost only slightly more than ICE only models not hugely expensive like EVs or even PHEVs.

ev - Cost of charging - Adampr

........DEPRECIATION WATCH........

My local garage has got a Fiat 500e, 72 plate with 2,700 miles on it on the forecourt at £16,980. About £10k / 38% under list price.

........DEPRECIATION WATCH........

My local garage has got a Fiat 500e, 72 plate with 2,700 miles on it on the forecourt at £16,980. About £10k / 38% under list price.

Two on Autotrader (6.4 and 3.7k miles) under £14k

ev - Cost of charging - Terry W

Battery prices have fallen by 75-85% over the last 10 years and are currently $100-150 (£80-120) per kwh depending on where you get the data.

A current mid-range EV with a (say) 60kwh battery pack contains ~£6000 batteries. By comparison an original 2011 Nissan Leaf (4kwh) contained ~£12000 of battery.

Most commentators believe the cost of batteries will fall to ~£80 per kwh over the next couple of years (no certainty to this).

The impact on s/h EVs is two-fold - like ICE they depreciate as they age and cover mileage, unlike ICE new models are likely to be significantly cheaper than those they replace and with better performance.

No surprise the loss in depreciation on some models can be very high - old tech in EV terms is anything launched more than 3 years ago!

ev - Cost of charging - Bolt

old tech in EV terms is anything launched more than 3 years ago!

they are out of date tech wise as soon as they hit the road, modern tech gets better or at least gets more powerful every time they design a new car

as for battery tech, I gather they have stalled on the production due to problems they are having great difficulty in sorting out. so I wouldn`t expect better batteries for several years at earliest, I also expect charge rate to hit a limit soon, some people already saying that cables are getting heavier and harder to move (as I don`t use them have no idea but the more power needed the larger the cable has to be)

ev - Cost of charging - expat

Another american article. This one is about car dealers not wanting to sell electric cars.

www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/electric-vehicles-are...c

Another american article. This one is about car dealers not wanting to sell electric cars.

www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/electric-vehicles-are...c

Only it isn't.

Less than half of the article covers dealers not wanting to sell EV's. And if you actually read the article, it is quite clear that the reasons for it that due to the smaller profit margins and lack of income from subsequent servicing/maintenance rather than an inherent dislike or mistrust of EV's.

ev - Cost of charging - Steveieb

Didn’t realise that charging stations were limited by power capacity to the site restricting the number of cars able to receive a full charge.

https://youtu.be/L6w1Ms1VWxM?feature=shared

Didn’t realise that charging stations were limited by power capacity to the site restricting the number of cars able to receive a full charge.

But without knowing what the power supply to a charging station in the UK is, you can't say whether this Australian video is relevant or not.

I would also assume that a new purpose built charging station for EV's would have a higher power supply (if needed).

ev - Cost of charging - madf

But without knowing what the power supply to a charging station in the UK is, you can't say whether this Australian video is relevant or not.

I would also assume that a new purpose built charging station for EV's would have a higher power supply (if needed).

A Large capacity charging station has a HUGE battery storage of its own.

1. It is recharged by solar cells providing cheap electricity in the day.

2. It smooths demand so the National Grid can charge it constantly without spikes due to 20 cars charging at 75KWH all at once

3. It can be charged at night form the Grid using Off Peak power,

ev - Cost of charging - Engineer Andy

Read in the Telegraph the other day that National Grid needs to spend (if I recall correctly) up to a whopping £19Bn to upgrade their network to cope with all those EVs and heat pump systems we 'need' at achieve 'Net Zero'.

Funny, as I recall many proponents here saying the existing network could 'easily cope' with all that extra electricity required, never mind how it would be generated.

Odd also how the proponets of commercial solar and especially wind electricity generation are (seemingly successfully) lobbying hard the government to double the guaranteed price for the electricity they generate.

Strange, as I was lead to believe by the same lobby groups and their chums here that such endeavours were profitable without huge taxpayer/user subsidy, which appear to be far more than nuclear, which least offers a 24/7 base load generation capacity, wheras wind and solar certainly do not.

Imagine my shock.

ev - Cost of charging - Bromptonaut

Read in the Telegraph the other day that National Grid needs to spend (if I recall correctly) up to a whopping £19Bn to upgrade their network to cope with all those EVs and heat pump systems we 'need' at achieve 'Net Zero'.

Was this the article?

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/09/national-g.../

That's £19bn between now and 2050, some 27 years in the future. It's not just about delivering power to homes but connecting wind, particularly offshore wind, to the network. There's a difference between net zero and moving home heating away from gas and adding a few hundred thousand electric cars to the load every year over the same period.

Infrastructure investment is a good thing isn't it? Even the Tories are scrabbling to generate growtn.

I believe that the cost of wind/solar has stopped going down, as it has over the last decade or so and is now headed upwards. That's down to the cost of materials, labour etc going up post Ukraine etc. I don't know about you Andy but I wouldn't invest unless I was reasonably sure of a return.

If nuclear were the answer to our prayers we'd have added new generation capacity in the many years since Sizewell B came on stream. The dash for gas in the period after power was privatised was driven by profit; government direction was totally lacking.

How we deal with days not like today when half of demand is from wind/solar and biomass (and yes I know the credentials of biomass ar disputed) is up for grabs. Small nuclear as per Rolls proposals?

A few thoughts.

Infrastructure improvements work are an average of ~£7500 per household. Over (say) 25 years - about £300pa. I have seen much higher cost estimates. We will all pay either through general taxation or increased energy prices - the only issue is how it is shared

Costs of different tech is compared is through a "levellised cost of production". The comparison is very sensitive to assumptions made over several decades - eg: gas prices, interest rates. Bluntly it is possible to prove just about whatever you want!

In particular the characteristics of gas vs wind/solar has been impacted by increased interest rates. Wind/solar has very high investment costs and low running costs. Gas has much lower investment and much higher running costs.

Personally I believe there is a place for both nuclear and other green technologies, although the consensus seems to be that nuclear is ~twice the cost of wind (not sure where your comment comes from).

Whether is it worth the cost and aggravation of transitioning away from carbon fuels is a matter of judgement. Personally I strongly support the initiative - oil and gas are finite and the UK is uncomfortably reliant on fickle world markets.

National Grid is a private company. It invests its money to make a profit. They are spending £19bn over 27 years because they think they will get more back in profit.

It will (it already has) be added to our bills but nobody has noticed because they shot up for othe reasons and they've hidden ongoing price hikes by not dropping energy bills once the crisis was over.

ev - Cost of charging - alan1302

How much would they be spending if they were not trying to achieve net zero? Considering they are talking about the whole of the UKs electricity network and the cost of over 27 years it does not really seem 'extreme' or even particularly high.

What is odd about businesses trying to get more for a product they produce? Surely they all try and get what they can.

Small nuclear: no pilot plant running.

So five years minimum before one is installed.

Then testing say 3 years.

Planning for new sites runs in parallel.. so first commercial application at leats 10 years away.

No gas fired stations can be closed or blackouts when no sun or wind - ie last week.

There is NOT a hope of meeting any net zero targets.

eg Smart meters were meant to be installed 100% by 2020. Approx 50% now. Latest plan 80% by 2025.

Quote "they will not be used to switch off your electricity"

Lies: My brother was switched to Pre Payment metering 2022 By EDF in error. He was away and got no notification (wrong house). He had no prepayments so was switched off and he came back from holiday to a cold dark house. He's an OAP .. all supposed to be impossible.. EDF eventually paid compensation.

It makes HS2 seem like a well run plan.

It doesn't matter if your meter is 'smart' or 'dumb', don't pay on a prepayment meter and you don't get any electricity.

Anyway, back to net zero: people have forgotten (again) that there are quite a lot of cables between the UK and the continent. It's net zero, not absolute zero. Some days we will create more wind and solar energy than we need. We sell that to the continent. Other days we won't have enough. We then buy from the continent.

If, overall, we make more zero carbon energy than we use, we are better than net zero. If we don't, and we buy zero carbon energy from the continent, we're still net zero. Everyone generates power in the most appropriate way for their country (offshore wind in our case) and trades it between them.

ev - Cost of charging - Bromptonaut

Lies: My brother was switched to Pre Payment metering 2022 By EDF in error. He was away and got no notification (wrong house). He had no prepayments so was switched off and he came back from holiday to a cold dark house. He's an OAP .. all supposed to be impossible.. EDF eventually paid compensation.

Would a smart meter have made any difference there. Presumably the power company could have had warrant from the court to break in and change the credit meter to a pre-payment key or coin meter. The people doing the work cockup and go to the wrong address.

In your brother's case did they re-configure a smart meter from credit to pre-pay remotely? I My smart meter's manual suggests it has pre-pay functionality but at present it's not even sending my usage to SO energy.

Time is not a constraint to change if it is wanted/needed badly enough. Examples:

• Covid vaccine developed in less than a year compared to 5-10 years previously
  • Tesla giga factory takes around a year to build
  • Edward 1 built 17 massive castles in Wales in 47 years without a JCB in sight
  • China built 1000 bed hospitals during covid in 2 weeks

The UK generally prefers a more leisurely approach.

The alternative - create a masterplan, minimise or get rid of planning committees, public enquiries, legal challenges, appeal processes, political game playing etc and a net zero infrastructure could be built in 10 years.

Time is not a constraint to change if it is wanted/needed badly enough. Examples:

The alternative - create a masterplan, minimise or get rid of planning committees, public enquiries, legal challenges, appeal processes, political game playing etc and a net zero infrastructure could be built in 10 years.

If you trample over your electorate's views (ie visual sights) you cave in and bury things. See HS2 and burying cuttings in the Chiltern Hills. Of course, if the electorate don't vote for you (MPs) ,you don't give a damn.

See the Poll Tax and Mrs Thatcher.

TGV Paris Lyon fast rail (250 miles) was started in 1976 and ran the first service in 1981 - 5 years from breaking ground to completion.

Contrast that with HS2 - work started 2017, completion expected (Birmingham) around 2030, distance 140 miles. Roughly half the distance and twice the time. No idea how costs compare - I suspect not very favourably.

The UK appetite for public involvement and debate means that we will lag others in many respects - standard of living, economic growth, public services. We are destined to follow not lead.

Whether this makes for a more harmonious and contented society (a worthy goal) is debatable. I suspect as many are happy that their views are fully represented as are dismayed by the endless delays in reputedly important projects.

And look how 'safe' and 'effective' it is turning out to be...

Hardly that difficult if you have the money and manpower. I suspect much of it is assembly rather than manufacturing parts.

I wonder how many men it took to build them and what their rate of pay was in comparison to construction workers these days. More than just a few. It took 52 years to build Westminster Abbey, just for comparison.

Unfortunately a good number suffered serious structural issues, some falling down and many not fit for purpose. Chinese (construction) build quality ain't good - believe me.

Exactly how will your plan overcome the (highly likely) shortage of solar panel and battery components needed to cope with the vaguaries of the British weather and night time power usage?

How will the huge amount of existing British building stock be 'upgraded' to be more thermally efficient when a good deal either cannot be because of the original construction method, planning restrictions (heritage/listed buildings) and/or safety issues associated with doing things like external cladding?

How will the plan be able to provide for energy/heating needs during the changeover? For tech like ('green') hydorgen, existing gas boilers mostly won't be able to work if the pipes currently used for natural gas get switched to hydrogen, and besides, generation, piping (it leaks more easily) and storage (needs high poweered chillers and v.expensive high pressure storage vessels to store it at ultra low temperatures to avoid the need for enormous stoirage facilities at ambient.

That and the electricity infrastructure still is nowhere near what is required, and whilst a WWII effeort might do, it would (like WWII) bankrupt us. Only this time, the US would likely be as well and there'd be no-one else other than totalitarian states to look to, whom I'm sure would take pity on us and just 'give' us money and other resources. Not.

It was very effective not 100% but a great deal better than no vaccine.

Hardly that difficult if you have the money and manpower. I suspect much of it is assembly rather than manufacturing parts.

True - but it simply demonstrates what can be done if you don't accept tghe second rate!

I wonder how many men it took to build them and what their rate of pay was in comparison to construction workers these days. More than just a few. It took 52 years to build Westminster Abbey, just for comparison.

Westminster abbey or the palace of - the latter apparently took close to 40 years to build and will take ~25 years for refurbishment.

Unfortunately a good number suffered serious structural issues, some falling down and many not fit for purpose. Chinese (construction) build quality ain't good - believe me.

Can't easily find reference to structural issues or much else as China is very secretive - but in the event were barely used due to lockdown severity.

Exactly how will your plan overcome the (highly likely) shortage of solar panel and battery components needed to cope with the vaguaries of the British weather and night time power usage?

How will the huge amount of existing British building stock be 'upgraded' to be more thermally efficient when a good deal either cannot be because of the original construction method, planning restrictions (heritage/listed buildings) and/or safety issues associated with doing things like external cladding?

How will the plan be able to provide for energy/heating needs during the changeover? For tech like ('green') hydorgen, existing gas boilers mostly won't be able to work if the pipes currently used for natural gas get switched to hydrogen, and besides, generation, piping (it leaks more easily) and storage (needs high poweered chillers and v.expensive high pressure storage vessels to store it at ultra low temperatures to avoid the need for enormous stoirage facilities at ambient.

That and the electricity infrastructure still is nowhere near what is required, and whilst a WWII effeort might do, it would (like WWII) bankrupt us. Only this time, the US would likely be as well and there'd be no-one else other than totalitarian states to look to, whom I'm sure would take pity on us and just 'give' us money and other resources. Not.

Refusing even to accept it is worth trying to do better consigns us to the second rate. Glass half empty. Surrender before the fight has even started. A few apposite quotes:

• The only guarantee for failure is to stop trying
  • Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
  • Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up
  • Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently

It was very effective not 100% but a great deal better than no vaccine.

True - but it simply demonstrates what can be done if you don't accept tghe second rate!

Westminster abbey or the palace of - the latter apparently took close to 40 years to build and will take ~25 years for refurbishment.

Can't easily find reference to structural issues or much else as China is very secretive - but in the event were barely used due to lockdown severity.

Refusing even to accept it is worth trying to do better consigns us to the second rate. Glass half empty. Surrender before the fight has even started. A few apposite quotes:

• The only guarantee for failure is to stop trying
  • Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
  • Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up
  • Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently

How about just a healthy dose of realism? See this related YT video by John Cadogan on the fallacy of EV ownership for most and the cold hard realities for both manufacturers and the idnustries behind the tech:

youtu.be/tIpipeUI6zw?si=eh1sCJzm69fKbdan

There's a BIG difference between not trying/giving up and being relaistic about goals, as well as being truthful about issues such as climate change, where governments and the MSM LIED repeatedly to pretend that the majority of papers on the subject were showing that manmade climate change (and the extent of it) was the cuase, because they omiited the vast majority of scientific papers which, amazingly said that cam to the conclusion there wasn't evidence to come to that conclusion.

Would a smart meter have made any difference there. Presumably the power company could have had warrant from the court to break in and change the credit meter to a pre-payment key or coin meter. The people doing the work cockup and go to the wrong address.

In your brother's case did they re-configure a smart meter from credit to pre-pay remotely? I My smart meter's manual suggests it has pre-pay functionality but at present it's not even sending my usage to SO energy.

Remotely done.

5 things I learned after driving an electric car for a week (msn.com)

I am trying to decide if this is advertising or if the person is really as stupid as she makes herself look ?

1 . No idea how to turn it on, in other words she was looking for somewhere to put the key in before realising it was keyless start. She also learnt that an electric car has no physical engine as such, and therefore was quiet. She also looked to open the bonnet to plug the charger in. In this car she had only 1 pedal, which works the same way as the Linde forklifts ( 1990 ) in that the brake is applied as you release the pedal. ( actually to be fair to her I did not know this feature was in electric cars )

2 . She learnt that charging takes longer than 5 minutes, and is a lot longer then filling up in a normal petrol station.

3 . It has a detection system to help blind drivers from hitting things, petrol cars do this as well.

4 . She is impressed with the 260 mile range. really ! on a full tank my 2008 car can do 420, like most cars it can do a lot more with several tanks of fuel. I am sorry but I do not regard 260 miles as a long trip, that is just under 4 hours on a motorway, Nth wales is 312 miles from where I live where I go to often during the summer.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 14/11/2023 at 20:50

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - mcb100
‘ In this car she had only 1 pedal, which works the same way as the Linde forklifts ( 1990 ) in that the brake is applied as you release the pedal. ( actually to be fair to her I did not know this feature was in electric cars )’

It has two pedals, but only one is needed when One Pedal Drive is switched on. There’s still a brake pedal for when you need hydraulic rather than electrical retardation.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Andrew-T
It has two pedals, but only one is needed when One Pedal Drive is switched on.

Might there be any passing difficulties in an unforeseen situation calling for emergency action, and forgetting which mode is operating ?

‘ Might there be any passing difficulties in an unforeseen situation calling for emergency action, and forgetting which mode is operating ?’

Not really, you just go for the brake pedal whichever mode you’re in.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Ethan Edwards

Unlike your point 4, the author acknowledged that its a wholly different mindset that's required. Then she goes onto say that she'll miss the car when its sent back.

It demonstrated that even the most clueless ice driver can transition effortlessly.

One pedal driving doesn't mean you only get the one pedal It means you only need to use the one pedal both acceleration and braking. But you still get two of them. Personally I switch it off as I dont like it.

Good article. Imagine how much more smooth you'd be once you've been EVing for a couple of months ! Two years plus in, and I'm waayyy cool.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 14/11/2023 at 21:46

‘Personally I switch it off as I dont like it.’

I use OPD around town but turn it down on motorways and faster roads - the car just ‘flows’ along a little more smoothly with less electrical retardation.
Problem is, when I jump back into one of those old school petrol or diesel cars I have to remember to brake…
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Metropolis.
I am fairly sure EVs are older than petrol powered cars
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Bolt
I am fairly sure EVs are older than petrol powered cars

By about 6 years, 1st road ev about 4 years later iirc

I think the inventor was the chap who electrified the underground, again iirc ?

Good to see Renault looking to take on the budget Chinese brands with the Twingo, due to come to market in 2025.
With a projected efficiency of 6.2 miles per kW/h, it’ll lessen the need for a huge battery in order to offer a range suitable for a city car.
75% lower CO2 emissions than a 2023 ICE car, and a price of £17,000.
Renault are on an EV roll at the moment, with Megane having arrived last year, Scenic due early 2024 and 5 and 4 coming along after that.
They’re looking at a seven car EV range by 2031.

And their reward for taking politicians at their word about 2030? They've spent a shedload of cash to develop these EVs in time...Now it seems its been pushed back to 2035. Nearer the time the can will be kicked down the Road again no doubt.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - madf

And their reward for taking politicians at their word about 2030? They've spent a shedload of cash to develop these EVs in time...Now it seems its been pushed back to 2035. Nearer the time the can will be kicked down the Road again no doubt.

No change in makers' obligations at all. £15k penalty per car missed/oversold.

So the "push back" in reality is smoke and mirrors.(politicians.. don't you trust them!)

Hybrid/EV - Gas emissions into the passenger compartment - JonestHon

I came across this clip discussing some fire hazards existing with batteries.

Towards the end the presenter is pointing out to the design and location of propulsion batteries in some Hybrid or EV's models. In some designs the batteries are located under the passenger compartment making direct emissions into the passenger compartment more likely, with all the H&S standards nowadays is this an oversight or am I missing something?

Hybrid/EV - Gas emissions into the passenger compartment - badbusdriver

In some designs the batteries are located under the passenger compartment

That is the case for most EV's, for the obvious reasons of packaging and keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible.

making direct emissions into the passenger compartment more likely

Direct emissions of what exactly?

Did you watch the clip?

Direct emissions of smoke and gasses in case the battery catches fire.

Hybrid/EV - Gas emissions into the passenger compartment - badbusdriver

Did you watch the clip?

No, I didn't watch the clip as the link looks dodgy.

But first, I take it you are familiar as to the location of the fuel tank in the vast majority of ICE cars?

But if the battery of en EV needs replacing, they do so from under the car, not the cabin. Also, if a modern car is immersed in water, it is more or less water tight. So, personally,i would have no real concerns about smoke and gasses entering the cabin to such an extent, and quickly enough, that escape was impossible.

Also, purely from the point of practicality, where do you feel the battery of an EV should be if not under the floor?

Did you watch the clip?

No, I didn't watch the clip as the link looks dodgy.

Honest, really, not a dodgy vid and no political agenda either. The chap can actually teach us something.

I remember when we had a Lexus GS450 the hybrid bat was stowed under the boot. If you watch the clip you will be shared the comnent that pressure buildup inside a burning ICE is not in the same leauge as hybrid/ev.

This is such an important point. Makes me tempted to tear up my membership card but you never know when another leadership election might come along.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Engineer Andy

I think that a hefty dose of actual as well as politicial realism has been taken. Another article in today's Telegraph (behind the paywall, I'm afraid, though it might appear in a few days on the MSN 'free articles' site') from a notable fellow (literally) - Michael Kelly who is:

Emeritus Professor of Engineering at the University of Cambridge. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society, of the Royal Academy of Engineering, of the Royal Society of New Zealand, of the Institute of Physics and of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, as well as Senior Member of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineering in the USA"

So no ideologue and who is well qualified to speak on the subject. Unfortunately, due to the restrictions on copying and pasting the entire article, I cannot give all that he said, but from the hyperlink below, you can gleen much.

Needless to say, he believes EVs will mostly be a fad for the well-heeled until the tech, logistics and geopolitics catch up with reality and sensible choices are made with heads for the benefit of the population, not activists or the rich and powerful.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/17/battery-electr.../

Needless to say, he believes EVs will mostly be a fad for the well-heeled until the tech, logistics and geopolitics catch up with reality and sensible choices are made with heads for the benefit of the population, not activists or the rich and powerful.

That belief is gaining traction and a point made about the battery leaking explosive gases into the cabin was also made by another fireman, its been said- though disagreed with-

that EV batteries are no worse than fossil fuel fires, which is a stupid comment to make considering how these fires are much more intense than fossil fuel fires can get, not forgetting most fires are caused by either oil leaks/brake fluid leaks or electrical faults making the fossil fuel go up, which I noticed no one mentioned but just made sure petrol fires were the point

I am of the opinion the EV brigade are not interested in the danger side of there beloved EVs as long as they think they are better for the environment, which they are not. but as long as you believe they are thats ok

The thing about the green lobby is it is self-perpetuating and self-preserving. Can you imagine all the so-called climate scientists, green consultants, EV enthusiasts and others who make a career out of climate change, ever admitting that it's nonsense and they are actually just lefties? They'd be out of a job/business. Nope, instead they give us ever more dire warnings that the end is nigh.

I agree EVs are not better for the environment, but, say for a moment that man-made climate change were even real, then it would be a toss up between emission free streets in Islington, vs the poor souls working in mines to dig up the stuff that's needed to build those EVs.

<< Nope, instead they give us ever more dire warnings that the end is nigh. >>

People believe what they want (or prefer) to believe. Only time will show us which 'side' is right, and by then it will certainly be too late to do anything about it, and it's unlikely to affect any of us personally. Ends have always been nigh, and so far have not arrived - which I guess is the basis for your optimism ?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Adampr

The thing about the green lobby is it is self-perpetuating and self-preserving. Can you imagine all the so-called climate scientists, green consultants, EV enthusiasts and others who make a career out of climate change, ever admitting that it's nonsense and they are actually just lefties? They'd be out of a job/business. Nope, instead they give us ever more dire warnings that the end is nigh.

I agree EVs are not better for the environment, but, say for a moment that man-made climate change were even real, then it would be a toss up between emission free streets in Islington, vs the poor souls working in mines to dig up the stuff that's needed to build those EVs.

It's about as likely as climate change deniers admitting that it's all true and they're just terrified of change.

I do wonder where you think oil comes from. There isn't some kind of magical place where it comes down waterfalls. People have to go into inhospitable places to get it.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - alan1302

I do wonder where you think oil comes from. There isn't some kind of magical place where it comes down waterfalls. People have to go into inhospitable places to get it.

Waterfalls? You buy it in big cans from Halfords - much more refined these days.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Brit_in_Germany

I've probably had dealings with more Cambridge professors than most and from my experience many emeritus ones are totally barking.

I've probably had dealings with more Cambridge professors than most and from my experience many emeritus ones are totally barking.

...as opposed to all the other supporting the 'other side' viewpoint, who are all 'amazing' and 'so credible'...

In my long experience with academia and professionals across a wide specrum of industries, I'd say that many are just as egotistical and back-biting as politicians and entertainers, and often will defend a point of view / theory / ideology to their grave unless evidence comes out that even people with low double-digit IQs can easily comprehend.

For many, they could've spent an entire career (including as an undergrad or pre-doctorate postgrad) backing the proverbial 'wrong horse', or at the very least have spent a good deal of it wheeling and dealing' like a (sorry SLO, not diparaging yourself) a dodgy car saleman to obtain lots of lucrative 'funding' for their 'research', often on theories / subjects they have known for years to be bunk.

Many also use their 'research' to 'prove' their theories / 'models' via dodgy means (fiddling the figures is very common nowadays) rather from a dispationate view..

This was far more common in more 'newly industrialised' nations such as China, etc, but is increasingly common in the West, as has spilled over into the journals, as evidenced by the often hyper-partisan/political/ideological and often wrong 'articles' published in recent years and of those deliberately excluded from them for simiarl reasons wher they 'don't fit the narrative'.

‘ as long as they think they are better for the environment, which they are not’

I’d love to see your working out on this one. Any credible evidence behind your statement?

Michael Kelly is also a trustee of two charities purporting to be interested in renewable energy and climate change, but actually one is anti-windfarm and the other is climate change denial.

I think it's fair to say that he probably is an ideologue.

His Concorde analogy doesn't really make sense either. Concorde was never mainstream, it certainly didn't represent as big a chunk of air transport as EVs do of car transport.

Concorde was only ever for the very wealthy. EVs are certainly not cheap, but they're well within reach of so-minded middle class families.

Finally, Concorde has no benefit other than going fast. EVs do have a benefit to them, not least in undeniably having zero tailpipe emissions and therefore contributing towards improved urban air quality. I appreciate that they burn a lot hotter than ICE cars but, if I'm going to die in a fireball after a crash, I'm not too fussed about the temperature.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Terry W

Part of the reason the US never built a supersonic airliner commercially is that they could not make it work. There was a competition between Lockheed and Boeing in the early 1960s, Boeing won the funding, the project was cancelled in 1971 2 years after Concorde first flew.

The supersonic "bang" noise issue may even have been started by the US which certainly contributed to the commercial failure of Concorde.

I also note that despite obviously being a highly intelligent individual, he has no experience of the motor industry or business in general.

The renewable energy Foundation of which Michael Kelly is a trustee had an income of just £57k in 2022 (Charities Commission). Their main intent seems campaigning against wind turbines - perhaps they spoil the view of one of the trustees who is a farmer.

It may be unfair to label them as nutters, but there is little evidence of credibility in making judgements about EVs or green technology.

I flew Concorde 1984 to US on a business trip.

Drab cramped interior , lots of wine but as I was working, tea .

VERY expensive one way ticket £2k then, equivalent probably £10k now. Very fast but JFK airport (I think it was JFK not sure) was slow , grubby and unpleasant as was Heathrow.

Grossly overrated in my view

‘ vs the poor souls working in mines to dig up the stuff that's needed to build those EVs.’

Which stuff is it that’s needed to those EV’s?
Which stuff is it that’s needed to those EV’s?

Kinda says it all really.

You'd be referring to Cobalt.

Point is those 'poor miners' are working there because its the best way they know to make cash. There are no cruel overseers with whips .

Secondly sad for them battery chemistry is moving on from using cobalt.

So our desire to help end these people's hardship, probably means they'll starve.

Cruel world isn't it.

Any - Public car park EV charging etiquette. - Topdude

I have a question about using the chargers in public / supermarket car parks.

First let me say i don't have an EV and i have no strong feelings for or against them but it occurred to me that there must be some system regarding their use.

If you arrive in a car park and the charger is in use presumably you have to pay to park in a normal space and wait for the charger to become free ?

How do you know how many other people are also waiting for the charger to come free ?

How do you know your position in the queue if several people are waiting ?

Apologies if these are seen as stupid questions but you know what people can be like when someone jumps a queue.

Any - Public car park EV charging etiquette. - JonestHon

I have a question about using the chargers in public / supermarket car parks.

First let me say i don't have an EV and i have no strong feelings for or against them but it occurred to me that there must be some system regarding their use.

If you arrive in a car park and the charger is in use presumably you have to pay to park in a normal space and wait for the charger to become free ?

How do you know how many other people are also waiting for the charger to come free ?

How do you know your position in the queue if several people are waiting ?

Apologies if these are seen as stupid questions but you know what people can be like when someone jumps a queue.

Good question, I also wondered the same. I don’t think there is a system. It will probably come when the and if electric cars becomes the majority.
I’ve only ever had to wait once for a rapid charger, that was a couple of weeks ago at Skelton Lake near Leeds.
It’s easy to see who’s waiting in that there’ll be an EV with a driver sitting in it. From that point, it’s just a case of making a note of who was there before you and who’s subsequently arrived.
A bit of communication will help - it may be a case of someone just wanting to plug while they use the facilities or someone needing to take 30 minutes to do a fuller charge.
From experience/observation, people are happy to work together in general.
It’s easy to see who’s waiting in that there’ll be an EV with a driver sitting in it. From that point, it’s just a case of making a note of who was there before you and who’s subsequently arrived. .

Makes it sound just like waiting at a busy hairdresser's ....

Although EV charging timescales are different to ICE refuelling, the principle is the same.

It needs sufficient recharging points to ensure that some are always free.

Other than during tanker driver strikes the wait for a petrol pump is rarely more than a few minutes. For fast charging EVs it may be an hour if there are a couple of cars ahead of you. Solution:

• flexible pricing increased when demand is high
  • charge users by connection time + power consumed
  • universal app identifying available chargers on or close to the sat nav route
  • anticipate/plan - charge at off peak times, eg: not Friday before a BH weekend
‘ flexible pricing increased when demand is high ‘

Tesla already do this

‘ charge users by connection time + power consumed ‘

Public access chargers at Porsche dealers do this.

‘ universal app identifying available chargers on or close to the sat nav route

Several do already - Zap-Map, ABRP. Plus EV’s built in nav will usually plot charge stops based on battery state of charge.

‘ anticipate/plan - charge at off peak times, eg: not Friday before a BH weekend’

Absolutely.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Maxime.

This from the Guardian. Others available.

www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/20/do-electr...s

Nice to see the Guardian starting to redeem themselves after the nonsense they published a few weeks ago by Rowan Atkinson.
Nice to see the Guardian starting to redeem themselves after the nonsense they published a few weeks ago by Rowan Atkinson.

Are you referring to this article ? amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/elec...n
Are you referring to this article ? amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/03/elec...n’

That’s the one.
The article where they ran a fact check piece a week later -

www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/08/fact-c...s

All claims based on running costs are misleading.

Petrol and diesel are taxed with VAT at 20%.

VAT on electricity is charged at 5%.

Fuel levy is charged at 52.9p per liters on diesel and petrol. (roughly 50% of pre tax price).And VAT charged on that levy.

There is no fuel levy on electricity used for EVs.

Smart Meters allow the separate taxation of electricity used to charge EVs.

So a Government taxing EVs the same as petrol cars would increase prices by 50% for Fuel levy and 15% for extra VAT.. which is also levied on the Fuel Levy. SO the Price of EV electricity would increase by approx 50% + 15% + 15% x 50 % =72.5 %

So when people say electric cars are cheaper to run , yes it is true NOW

Strangely enough, no-one points this out.

Edited by madf on 20/11/2023 at 20:34

The anomaly is that VAT is levied at 5% on electricity for domestic use, but 20% when using a public charger.

Edited by mcb100 on 20/11/2023 at 20:39

Could you explain this bit please?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - skidpan

Think he's been on a conspiracy site.

Only one VAT rate shown on our bill.

So far it is the same rate. Don't expect the Treasury to forgo all £24B of Fuel Levy revenues when EVs become more common.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - pd

So far it is the same rate. Don't expect the Treasury to forgo all £24B of Fuel Levy revenues when EVs become more common.

I suspect this is more likely to come from road pricing than electricity.

But, yes, they will have to find the revenue from somewhere unless someone can suggest what they cut instead.

But how are 'they' going to know?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - gordonbennet

In the age of digital maybe the car being charged will trigger info automatically, dare say those who use a 3 pin plug could trick the system for a while but won't a built in specific car charger send the required signal?

I don't know of course and its not going to affect me either way because i'm not having a battery car, but even the most optimistic of battery enthusiasts surely doesn't believe they're going to be left without paying their share of the state's mishandling of the economy indefinately.

In the age of digital maybe the car being charged will trigger info automatically, dare say those who use a 3 pin plug could trick the system for a while but won't a built in specific car charger send the required signal?

I don't know of course and its not going to affect me either way because i'm not having a battery car, but even the most optimistic of battery enthusiasts surely doesn't believe they're going to be left without paying their share of the state's mishandling of the economy indefinately.

I gather they can tell what electronics are being used by monitoring changes in the high-frequency current or voltage harmonics caused when specific appliances are being used within a building

probably higher current use would give a car away and its voltage control unit....

Quick video showing the effects of 100,000 miles in two years on an MG 5.

youtu.be/Kj7fJ5JI-yI?si=Bh22Vahouhe4VuXb
Quick video showing the effects of 100,000 miles in two years on an MG 5. youtu.be/Kj7fJ5JI-yI?si=Bh22Vahouhe4VuXb

Thanks. I read the prior report a few months ago.

Very impressive reliability - a LOT better than the BMW i3 reviews.

In slightly disappointing news, the Ora Funky Cat is no more.

It’s now the GWM Ora 3.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ora-funky-cat-...e
In slightly disappointing news, the Ora Funky Cat is no more. It’s now the GWM Ora 3. www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ora-funky-cat-...e

Sadly I presume we won't now ever get the Good Cat, Next Cat or for those who remember 1970s sitcoms the Ooh Betty it's done a whoopsie cat.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - FP

My most recent RAC newsletter contains the following (lightly edited):

“[Toyota] is introducing... cutting edge technology to its new range of electric cars, which will go on sale in the UK over the next five years.

A new range of lithium-ion batteries will arrive 2026 and offer a 20% cost reduction, while increasing driving range to around 500 miles. However, it’s the development of all-solid-state batteries that could revolutionise electric cars in the UK.

Toyota solid-state lithium-ion batteries use a solid electrolyte that allows for faster movement of ions and a greater tolerance of high voltages and temperatures. These qualities make the batteries suitable for rapid charging and discharging and delivering power in a smaller form.

Toyota’s first solid-state battery is expected to offer a maximum range of 621-miles and a fast-charging time of 10 minutes or less, a figure that would surpass the 300 to 400 miles offered by the Mercedes-Benz EQS, Tesla Model 3 and Polestar 2.

Until now, the trade-off for solid-state lithium-ion batteries has been an expected shorter battery life, but Toyota claims recent advances have overcome this challenge and the company has moved its focus to bringing solid-state batteries into mass production. The aim is for the batteries to be ready for 2027/28.

Toyota is already working on a higher specification li-ion solid-state battery, which it says will cover around 1,000 miles from single charge, but it isn't clear when this battery will reach the UK.” (Emboldening is mine.)

It has often been claimed that the technology would advance rapidly, but this is an early glimpse of what the future may hold. As it's Toyota I'm assuming that there is some substance to the news.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - RichardW

Toyota’s first solid-state battery is expected to offer a maximum range of 621-miles and a fast-charging time of 10 minutes or less, a figure that would surpass the 300 to 400 miles offered by the Mercedes-Benz EQS, Tesla Model 3 and Polestar 2.

621 miles (presumably 1000km) requires somewhere around 200 kWh. If you are going to charge that in 10 mins you need a 1MW charger. They are not going to be 10 a penny... That is around what the Tesla truck charger can put out - needs liquid cooled cables to keep them sensible, and no doubt some fairly hefty battery cooling to prevent them just going pop!

<< If you are going to charge that in 10 mins you need a 1MW charger. >>

A megawatt will come with quite a lot of heat attached, calling for a high-capacity cooling system.

The whole subject of battery recharging times and capacity is approaching (actually surpassing!) the frenzy over supercar performance - which turbo'd and supercharged motor can get to more than 200mph fastest. Truly pointless!

For all but those folk whose privates lack heft, 3-400 miles range represents 6-8 hours driving at speeds which will keep a driving licence current. A 60 minute recharge at 100kw will comfortably recharge even an empty battery - time for comfort break, food, coffee.

Perhaps a 600mile + range and 10 minute recharge will give bragging rights down at the pub - for anyone who is remotely interested. That a large premium may need to be paid to cover the costs of that rate of charge will not be my problem.

I would agree with above. The need for a 600 mile range and 10 minute charging time is very specialist indeed and way beyond the needs of any normal motorist. I can maybe see some more applications in HGVs etc.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - badbusdriver

The need for a 600 mile range and 10 minute charging time is very specialist indeed and way beyond the needs of any normal motorist.

Oh, I don't know about that.

Read posts from some forum members and that would seem to be the minimum required to even consider an EV (though the charge time coming down to 5 minutes would be better)

;-)

Don’t forget the requirement to tow a 24 foot caravan for 500 miles, non-stop.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - movilogo

need for a 600 mile range and 10 minute charging time is very specialist

Not everyone needs 600 mile range but if charging is fast, then range is somewhat irrelevant as long it has got a 300+ range.

It is the waiting time for charging which is main problem for EVs (besides high purchase cost).

need for a 600 mile range and 10 minute charging time is very specialist

Not everyone needs 600 mile range but if charging is fast, then range is somewhat irrelevant as long it has got a 300+ range.

It is the waiting time for charging which is main problem for EVs (besides high purchase cost).

Depends on the person as some say why should they go backwards, if an electric car charges as fast as a petrol can fill up, with the same range and perceived to be safer, with the same or better reliability, Having the money for one or not they may consider one in the future.

so many do not believe the range and safety will improve for at least a few years due to problems making the new type batteries, or has so far been reported

As I won`t be buying one it makes no difference to me, but the tech is interesting to me as cars have always been, though not so sure we may be getting close to a charging limit with new battery tech due to high levels of charge involved, the risk of arcing from the old CRT televisions used to be high enough....

So your longest single journey is 300 miles? Does it make sense lugging the necessary big battery around for your usual three mile trip to the shops and back?

Surely a reasonable 150 to 200 is sufficient provided there's recharging facilities. The battery being much lighter.

Concern over recharging times is unwarranted. No more than 20 minutes, on a high powered charger. Buying petrol and queuing to pay behind the speccy kid filling up his moped, that's an easy 20 minutes too. You'd be leaving home fully charged since you home charge. Time saved there as its done while you sleep.

Once you sit down and think 'actually what is my longest regular journey'? , then usually the ' must have' requirement for 600 miles non stop towing three caravans tends to melt away when it meets reality.

Concern over recharging times is unwarranted. No more than 20 minutes, on a high powered charger. Buying petrol and queuing to pay behind the speccy kid filling up his moped, that's an easy 20 minutes too.

I'm not sure why you imply that one is more likely to queue at a filling station than at a charging station. Most complaints I have seen on here suggest the opposite - mainly on the basis that there aren't enough charging stations, and many of those are slow ones ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/11/2023 at 13:44

Concern over recharging times is unwarranted. No more than 20 minutes, on a high powered charger. Buying petrol and queuing to pay behind the speccy kid filling up his moped, that's an easy 20 minutes too.

I'm not sure why you imply that one is more likely to queue at a filling station than at a charging station. Most complaints I have seen on here suggest the opposite - mainly on the basis that there aren't enough charging stations, and many of those are slow ones ?

From a couple of EV owners I see there problem is getting a charger, i didnt say fast charger as though they specify fast they are not always

These drivers often drive about all day but have nearly run out of charge due to being out of order, so even though some places have fast chargers they dont always work or when they do not charging as fast as they say, i also gather one driver has been unable to drive his car due to a fault that re occurs which has not been diagnosed properly, ie they dont know what the problem actually is?

But then that can happen on ordinary cars, apart from charging...

Some folk just don't like change.

No doubt when the horse replaced the ox in cart pulling there were those who thought it would never work - just not enough pulling power.

Those who only reluctantly and later embraced the internal combustion engine, concerned that fuel was only available in 1 gallon cans from the occasional chemist shop and they broke down all the time.

There were even those who thought aviation a hideous risk. Why catch a plane to New York risking its non-arrival when ships could do it in style pretty much all the time.

It's just about timing - improving tech will eventually win over marginalised late adopters - no real point in even debating it as views seem entrenched.

Some folk just don't like change.

No one minds change if your going in the right direction, so far imo we are not, shed loads of electricity needed to charge massive batteries that take up half a car and need charging every 120miles, the only real benefit is the massive tech difference in the electronics and motors which are more powerful than the car needs

the grid will mess up our roads/paths having charging stations everywhere which will be needed unless we are charged off the roads by road pricing (wouldn`t surprise me if thats coming)

so it really looks like a bad future having to put up with massive wind turbines blotting the landscape with charging points sticking out of the paths and street lamps, so if thats what the future looks like, I feel sorry for the youngsters who will have to put up with what our future looks like...... no more to be said....

Why I suggest that not every petrol station visit is a model of germanic efficiency?

Well how about thousands of actual experiences over 40 plus years of motoring. That do? People are annoying, dithering etc and sometimes they do lots of shopping whilst your queuing behind them at the pump.

I've not found anybody causing irritation while plugging in the car and going in the house.

Why I suggest that not every petrol station visit is a model of germanic efficiency?

Well how about thousands of actual experiences over 40 plus years of motoring. That do? People are annoying, dithering etc and sometimes they do lots of shopping whilst your queuing behind them at the pump.

I've not found anybody causing irritation while plugging in the car and going in the house.

Can't say I have ever had an issue when getting fuel other than maybe a 5 min wait at most, and I drive pretty much every day and must have done hundreds of thousands of miles.

120 miles? Really? Do keep up.

The reason we’re moving to electrification, with one of the largest social changes in history, with infrastructure upheaval, is because we, as the current and previous generations have been hugely profligate in our use of fossil fuels.
We’ve pumped untold billions of tonnes of co2 into the atmosphere, which will stay there for centuries, regardless of what we do next, and been pumping out noxious gases and particulates into the local environment.
The transition to EV won’t fix this, but it will slow the rate at which we’re making it worse.
So if future generations wish to retain some form of at will personal mobility, they’ll have us and our forebears to thank for windmills and pavements with charging posts.
We’ve pumped untold billions of tonnes of co2 into the atmosphere, which will stay there for centuries, regardless of what we do next, ...

Future generations of scientists may find a way to split some of the CO2 into carbon while releasing the oxygen into the atmosphere. The C can then be put back underground while our descendants breathe the O2 - or reuse it to burn the C, as before.

I'm not holding my breath though, as that process needs an awful lot of energy .....

Carbon capture - a questionable short term fix at best, long term an utterly preposterous proposition.

Just burying the problem does not solve it for future generations - it creates a different challenge for them to contend with.

Carbon capture will not improve the availability of fossil fuels as a source of energy - they will be reduced by the operating inefficiencies of the sequestration system.

No matter how much the process is improved, carbon capture will always be an energy sink - a basic law of physics.

The best solution to reduce atmospheric CO2 is to avoid its creation in the first place. There are plenty of proven alternatives - wind, solar, tidal, nuclear, geothermal.

Some regard climate change as a con - but may concede that fossil fuels are inherently limited. The only question is how long they will last and to what levels prices will increase.

Edited by Terry W on 28/11/2023 at 10:39

Carbon capture will not improve the availability of fossil fuels as a source of energy - they will be reduced by the operating inefficiencies of the sequestration system.

Terry, I hope you don't think I was suggesting a way of improving availability of fossil fuels, only an improbable way to reduce atmospheric CO2. A far more likely way to do that is to bottle up CO2 - liquid or solid - somewhere underground, as has been suggested for quite a while. Funnily enough, no-one wants to live anywhere near a chosen location ....

Some regard climate change as a con - but may concede that fossil fuels are inherently limited. The only question is how long they will last and to what levels prices will increase.

I'd be interested to know what people want to use as a fuel in the future who don't want EVs when oil at some point will run out so does need an alternative no matter what.

I'd be interested to know what people want to use as a fuel in the future who don't want EVs when oil at some point will run out so does need an alternative no matter what.

I seriously doubt if oil will 'run out' or become 'prohibitively expensive' in our lifetime, and at least for the next 50-100 years, maybe a good deal more.

I remember when 'peak oil' was supposedly 50 years ago - an obviously widely incorrect statement not taking into account improvements in methods to find and drill for oil (and natural gas).

I've said before that I don't mind changing to electric cars, but the timescale and tech have been way too rushed and for mostly made-up and/or ideological reasons (often to benefit certain already rich and powerful people and organisations), when many other things are of more importance and have far more of a benefit to everyone and the environment and at either far less of a cost / downside or that are a win-win.

I'm not holding my breath though, as that process needs an awful lot of energy .....

If nothing changes, we'll all be holding our breath...

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - movilogo

Fossil fuel reserve can last another 100 years easily which may extend as new fuel reserves are found. So it is not a case of suddenly fossil fuel running out.

100 years is a very long time for other alternative fuels to appear. Even battery tech will improve leaps & bounds by then.

Most people have neither pro or anti EV sentiment. They will buy whatever is affordable and convenient for them.

In current landscape, EV is unaffordable and inconvenient.

Even if someone who can afford EV, it is still inconvenient. My fuel fill up typically takes 5 minutes. Even 20 mins for fast charging is an inconvenience, especially when EV costs more than ICE/HEV

If charging issue is resolved, general public will buy EVs in large numbers because EVs are simpler to maintain.

"The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) expects electric vehicles to make up a 38 per cent of new car sales in 2027, according to a report prepared for this week’s Autumn Statement.

The figure is well down on previous forecasts with the OBR backing new EVs to have a 67 per cent market share by 2027 as recently as March.

The body added that 2022/2023 has also fallen below expectations with EV accounting for 16.5 per cent of new car sales compared the OBR’s March forecast of 17.7 per cent."

cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/office-for-budget-...5

Fossil fuel reserve can last another 100 years easily which may extend as new fuel reserves are found. So it is not a case of suddenly fossil fuel running out.

100 years is a very long time for other alternative fuels to appear. Even battery tech will improve leaps & bounds by then.

Most people have neither pro or anti EV sentiment. They will buy whatever is affordable and convenient for them.

In current landscape, EV is unaffordable and inconvenient.

Even if someone who can afford EV, it is still inconvenient. My fuel fill up typically takes 5 minutes. Even 20 mins for fast charging is an inconvenience, especially when EV costs more than ICE/HEV

If charging issue is resolved, general public will buy EVs in large numbers because EVs are simpler to maintain.

Indeed - i think that the powers-that-be (pushed by certain lobby groups who have a lot to materially gain from doing so) have wrongly pushed the rollout of EVs and related tech / services way too fast - too fast for the manufacturers of the tech / cars to be able to mass produce affordable, reliable products with adequate backup in terms of maintenance, charging and, in my view, safety.

In the current difficult economic and societal times, people are voting with their heads and wallets to either run their existing ICE cars for longer or to stay with ICE or at most go the mild hybrid route if they can afford to pay the 25-30% higher capital cost of buying a replacement car at the moment.

Apart from the well-off, especially those with lots of spare time (e.g. retirees), most people won't want the financial burden or hassle of buying and running an EV.

Whilst they are currently popular with firms as company cars, the high and getting rapidly worse depreciation of EVs due to the 1st/2nd gen car tech and safety-related 'issues' will surely soon feed through to more than just much higher insurance premiums - i.e. much higher costs for PCP and especially hire purchase / lease customers, which will make them far less attractive to businesses.

Even more so when HM Treasury realises a significant chunk of their revenue stream from BIK and VED will be lost and they 'persuade' the Chancellor of the day to start charging them (road pricing?), as will likely for 'congestion zones' etc. because they are revenue-raisers, not primarily for environmental reasons.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Brit_in_Germany

Indeed - i think that the powers-that-be (pushed by certain lobby groups who have a lot to materially gain from doing so) have wrongly pushed the rollout of EVs and related tech / services way too fast - too fast for the manufacturers of the tech / cars to be able to mass produce affordable, reliable products with adequate backup in terms of maintenance, charging and, in my view, safety.

Are, the conspiracy theory, no doubt pointing a finger at the WEF and their strange idea that the World cannot continue along its current path with ever increasing demand on the shrinking resources. Too fast? Not fast enough, more like. Continuing the subsidies for oil is a path to ruin. EVs need little maintenace and there is no evidence that they are in any way less safe.

In the current difficult economic and societal times, people are voting with their heads and wallets to either run their existing ICE cars for longer or to stay with ICE or at most go the mild hybrid route if they can afford to pay the 25-30% higher capital cost of buying a replacement car at the moment.

Running an EV costs less than a petrol or diesel. Capital cost is of little relevance as those with little capital will be using finance so it is the monthly total cost which is the relevant comparator, including fuel.

Apart from the well-off, especially those with lots of spare time (e.g. retirees), most people won't want the financial burden or hassle of buying and running an EV.

Not everyone will be buying a top of the range 100k+ model. There are decent cars at affordable prices.

Whilst they are currently popular with firms as company cars, the high and getting rapidly worse depreciation of EVs due to the 1st/2nd gen car tech and safety-related 'issues' will surely soon feed through to more than just much higher insurance premiums - i.e. much higher costs for PCP and especially hire purchase / lease customers, which will make them far less attractive to businesses.

So if they are depreciating rapidly, they will be more affordable. There are no safety issues and depreciation is not relevant to insurance costs. HP/leasing costs is only one of the total cost factors, balanced by lower fuel costs.

Even more so when HM Treasury realises a significant chunk of their revenue stream from BIK and VED will be lost and they 'persuade' the Chancellor of the day to start charging them (road pricing?), as will likely for 'congestion zones' etc. because they are revenue-raisers, not primarily for environmental reasons.

So the tax burden remains the same. Why is that an issue? Congestion zones are the result of legal obligations to reduce pollution. Is it better for people to die from the effects of poor air quality in your view?

More charging solutions are now appearing for those of us that don’t have off street parking -

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-67485414

It’ll need councils to get onboard to approve grooves being cut into pavements.

I found an EV more convenient as I just plugged it in when I got home so it was full every morning.

More charging solutions are now appearing for those of us that don’t have off street parking - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-67485414 It’ll need councils to get onboard to approve grooves being cut into pavements.

To me, that 'groove' looks like a tunnel, like a cable TV/interwebs one. If so, what happens to the road end of the cable after you've charged up said car?

I wouldn't want several feet of the cable and the plug-in end loose on the road or pavement - both a trip hazard, a green light for youths / drunks to break or would be broken by a vehicle driving over it.

If it is just a groove, then that will break up the pavement the first sign of a cold snap / snow and ice, meaning it'll be useless within a year and require yet more taxpayer money to repair on a very regular basis.

I can't see that 'idea' working.

Here’s the website of the company behind the ‘idea’.

www.kerbocharge.com/

I’ve seen another solution that uses stiff bristles through which the cable is pushed and removed.

A tunnel would be a less than optimal solution.

Edited by mcb100 on 29/11/2023 at 19:30

Only issue is that I assume the cable goes up the garden path to a meter.

It means that street parking spaces will need to be allocated so that cars can be parked in the right place.

Only issue is that I assume the cable goes up the garden path to a meter.

It means that street parking spaces will need to be allocated so that cars can be parked in the right place.

I'll just use my neighbours charging post, will be greener and cheaper that way :-)

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 2 - Xileno

This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

Edited by Xileno on 30/11/2023 at 06:30