The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 6. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 09/02/2024 at 17:10

I've wiped this Vol 6. Vols 1 to 4 seemed to work well and Vol 5 mostly. Despite a few meanders into other areas it got back on track again.

The original idea was to have these as IHAQ threads (I Have A Question) that people may remember from years ago but it was also felt the brief should be wider to include discussion of externally-hosted articles so that the main part of the forum doesn't get overwhelmed.

With hindsight we probably made the brief too wide including any discussion but it's all trial and error.

We will see how this Vol 6 progresses with aiming to keep it to EV Questions and discussion of relevant and current hosted content from other sites.

If people aren't familiar with the old IHAQ threads then here's an example:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25772

Edited by Xileno on 09/02/2024 at 17:31

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Oli rag

The poor state of the EV charging infrastructure in this country will no doubt be putting off some potential buyers.

Whatever you might think about Tesla and Elon Musk, at least they knew that they would struggle for customers if chargers weren’t readily available. This is why they had the foresight to build the large Tesla supercharger network, firstly in North America, then in other continents.

I think it’s true that the amount of cleaner energy generated here is going up, but we don’t get the full benefit of this because of our lack of energy storage here. This will improve as homeowners invest in home powerwall type batteries and the government invests in grid scale battery packs, eg Tesla megapacks. UK builds Europe's biggest battery out of Tesla Megapacks - DCD

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/uk-builds-europes-biggest-battery-out-of-tesla-megapacks/

Grid scale energy storage would enable us to store excess wind power generated overnight and feed it back to the grid the next day to help demand.

EV batteries can and will be recycled. If you look into Redwood materials as an example, they are scaling up lithium battery recycling. They have said that a very high percentage of the different elements used in these batteries can be recovered and reused without much loss of their original properties. www.redwoodmaterials.com/

Edited by Oli rag on 10/02/2024 at 07:45

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Engineer Andy

The poor state of the EV charging infrastructure in this country will no doubt be putting off some potential buyers.

Whatever you might think about Tesla and Elon Musk, at least they knew that they would struggle for customers if chargers weren’t readily available. This is why they had the foresight to build the large Tesla supercharger network, firstly in North America, then in other continents.

I think it’s true that the amount of cleaner energy generated here is going up, but we don’t get the full benefit of this because of our lack of energy storage here. This will improve as homeowners invest in home powerwall type batteries and the government invests in grid scale battery packs, eg Tesla megapacks. UK builds Europe's biggest battery out of Tesla Megapacks - DCD

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/uk-builds-europes-biggest-battery-out-of-tesla-megapacks/

Grid scale energy storage would enable us to store excess wind power generated overnight and feed it back to the grid the next day to help demand.

EV batteries can and will be recycled. If you look into Redwood materials as an example, they are scaling up lithium battery recycling. They have said that a very high percentage of the different elements used in these batteries can be recovered and reused without much loss of their original properties. www.redwoodmaterials.com/

Of course, the problem with Tesla-only chargers is precisely that. It's like having all Shell filling stations only able to provide fuel to (say) BMWs. For EV the charging network to be properly successful, they need to be useable by all EV owners.

As someone said before, EV tech is rather like the video cassette 'wars' of the early 1980s. VHS won out not because it was the best in technical terms (V2000 and Betamax were superior), but because (as I understand it) it was cheap and thus could be mass-produced at an affordable cost to the consumer.

In my view, those people who aren't really rich who have been buying up new EVs may well come to regret doing so, because the early generations of tech is rarely kept going (as is the case for many technologies, in the computing world, AV, etc) and thus with a lack of (useable / quality) spares and experienced technicians / mechanics, many will have effective 'white elephants' on their hands.

That much of the tech depends upon a few Asian nations where conflict is possibly on the horizon and thus (including via sanctions or physical blockades / terrorism) parts and raw materials (rare earth elements in the hands mostly of the Chinese) may be in seriously short supply for an extended period.

Just as a final comment on lithium battery recycling - it ain't cheap as it is VERY energy and staff-intensive. Hardly environmentally-friendly.

And the world cannot rely on that to make up for a shortfall from the above situation nor for a rapidly and artificially-growing market either, rather like solar and wind energy cannot make up the base load for the electricity grid per nation - EVER.

Too much relies on co-operation between many nations, which normally goes out of the window when the self interest of conflicts and shortages arises, as we are currently seeing. So much for 'globalism'.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - mcb100
I’m going to be a bit contrary and say that the Tesla Supercharger network is an overstated benefit.
It’s only 12% of the UK rapid charging network last time I looked, and that percentage is falling as other networks are rapidly expanding.
There are currently 887 Tesla-only rapids in the UK but 8295 Shell Recharge units. And, don’t forget, Tesla are gradually opening up their network to everyone else.
Tesla owners swear by them, but tend not to use anything else as their satnavs send them to Tesla chargers.
Latest stats are - 55301 public chargers in the UK, up 1436 in the month.
Of those, 10541 are rapids, up by 368 in the month.
There’s a 46% increase in public charger numbers since January 2023.

Edited by mcb100 on 10/02/2024 at 09:04

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Steveieb

It’s looking like Toyota has been the major beneficiary of the reluctance of motorist to go headlong into EVs. With sales and profits up significantly with other manufacturers backtracking on their investments in EVs.

Taking a world wide approach they realise that many nations do not have a reliable electric supply and the hybrid version is much more adaptable.

And speaking to a taxi driver the other day who has covered 650 k miles in his Prius, used night and day , what other manufacturer can produce a car with this reliabilty and life expectancy . The same technology can be found in other cars from this manufacturer including the RAV4.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Terry W
I’m going to be a bit contrary and say that the Tesla Supercharger network is an overstated benefit. It’s only 12% of the UK rapid charging network last time I looked, and that percentage is falling as other networks are rapidly expanding. There are currently 887 Tesla-only rapids in the UK but 8295 Shell Recharge units. And, don’t forget, Tesla are gradually opening up their network to everyone else. Tesla owners swear by them, but tend not to use anything else as their satnavs send them to Tesla chargers. Latest stats are - 55301 public chargers in the UK, up 1436 in the month. Of those, 10541 are rapids, up by 368 in the month. There’s a 46% increase in public charger numbers since January 2023.

Tesla were very early to the EV market and had the foresight to realise that a limited charging network would be a major barrier to sales of EVs.

In 2015 when Tesla started selling in the UK there were less than 1000 fast chargers in the UK - there are now ~10000.

II doubt they ever expected to make money from chargers (at one point I recall it was a freebie) merely achieve market dominance.

Edited by Terry W on 10/02/2024 at 10:19

‘ Tesla were very early to the EV market and had the foresight to realise that a limited charging network would be a major barrier to sales of EVs.’

Entirely agree, and the legacy of that decision is still going strong.
Today, however, Tesla are a bit player in the public charger infrastructure.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - RT
I’m going to be a bit contrary and say that the Tesla Supercharger network is an overstated benefit. It’s only 12% of the UK rapid charging network last time I looked, and that percentage is falling as other networks are rapidly expanding. There are currently 887 Tesla-only rapids in the UK but 8295 Shell Recharge units. And, don’t forget, Tesla are gradually opening up their network to everyone else. Tesla owners swear by them, but tend not to use anything else as their satnavs send them to Tesla chargers. Latest stats are - 55301 public chargers in the UK, up 1436 in the month. Of those, 10541 are rapids, up by 368 in the month. There’s a 46% increase in public charger numbers since January 2023.

Isn't it the case that the early buyers of Tesla's get free charging at Tesla Superchargers although more recent owners don't.

‘Isn't it the case that the early buyers of Tesla's get free charging at Tesla Superchargers although more recent owners don't.’

Absolutely, but the free charging finished a few years ago. It’s not transferable to the next owner and lead to Tesla owners hanging onto their cars longer than they normally would have.
Just looked it up - 2017 was the end of the free charging, although for a while after that you could get an amount of FOC Supercharging by successfully referring a new customer.

Edited by mcb100 on 10/02/2024 at 11:17

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - martin.mc

Only 3% of cars on UK roads are EVs. Could it be that most drivers are happy with what they've got and have little or no desire to go electric? If you can't charge at home it's hardly a money saver given the cost per KwH at public chargers. I have never heard anyone in the workplace or pub talking about environmental issues either. Ordinary folk are more concerned about the general cost of living and where they are going for their holidays. As others have said, if a product is good people will buy it of their own accord without the need for Government bullying and manipulation of the market.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - corax

As others have said, if a product is good people will buy it of their own accord without the need for Government bullying and manipulation of the market.

There is no incentive to buy one unless you're wealthy and can see yourself enjoying the positives of an EV, then afford to ditch it when the next improved version comes along, which at the moment seems to be like the rise of the smartphone.

Only 3% of cars on UK roads are EVs. Could it be that most drivers are happy with what they've got and have little or no desire to go electric? If you can't charge at home it's hardly a money saver given the cost per KwH at public chargers. I have never heard anyone in the workplace or pub talking about environmental issues either. Ordinary folk are more concerned about the general cost of living and where they are going for their holidays. As others have said, if a product is good people will buy it of their own accord without the need for Government bullying and manipulation of the market.

Asserting that as only 3% of cars are EV proves most have little desire is nonsense.

This year 20-25% of cars sold may be EV. The sale of 0.4-0.5m EVs will increase the proportion of EVs on the road to ~4% (there are 40m vehicles registered in the UK.

To assume that most folk are happy with what they have is doubtful, Even if they could afford a new or nearly new EV (most buy s/h cars), they may simply have priorities other than changing car.

Many of the 60% who potentially have off-road charging may aspire to an EV, particularly the 39% of households which have two cars and may readily have one ICE and one EV.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Andrew-T

<< Asserting that only 3% of cars are EV proves most have little desire is nonsense. >>

But surely asserting that is 'nonsense' is equally nonsense ? The whole picture suggests that many drivers don't want to change their cars, either for an EV or something else ? Just now, many are strapped for cash and are put off by new car prices and the apparent shortage of decent used ones ?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - madf

"This year 20-25% of cars sold may be EV."

Well January was c 14.5% down 2% on December's share.

Private buyers are on strike,

To reach 20% would be a major push..

I expect an emergency change of rules mid year,

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - John F

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.....

My questions are about engines. The heart of a car, and usually the most likely to give rise to big bills when it goes wrong, is the engine. There is much discussion about the relative merits and capabilits of various ICEs. i see very little about electric engines, or 'motors' as they seem to be called. Is there much difference between, say, Tesla, Nissan or BYD engines? Do some bearings and windings last longer than others? Do some have a better power to weight ratio? How many miles can one expect from them before they go seriously wrong?

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.....

My questions are about engines. The heart of a car, and usually the most likely to give rise to big bills when it goes wrong, is the engine. There is much discussion about the relative merits and capabilits of various ICEs. i see very little about electric engines, or 'motors' as they seem to be called. Is there much difference between, say, Tesla, Nissan or BYD engines? Do some bearings and windings last longer than others? Do some have a better power to weight ratio? How many miles can one expect from them before they go seriously wrong?

BMW I3s had engine issues.

Failed bearings, Ditto Tesla on the S model. Pictures of rebuilds on UTuibe

Not easy on I3 - Lots of dismantling required especially the REX models. Faulty design meant lubrication was marginal.. changed bearing type 2017 iirc. Special bearing grease required.. BMW don;t sell it nor do they support garage repairs.

Life ? lucky 150k + miles . Unlucky 30-40k miles. Symptoms: Noisy...

Edited by madf on 10/02/2024 at 12:36

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - skidpan

I have never heard anyone in the workplace or pub talking about environmental issues either

Trouble is most people cannot see beyond the end of their nose.

Loads of evidence that we are changing our planet, you don't need to read about it, just look around you.

Personally I have done what I can to help. The Superb is a PHEV and I use electricity whenever I can and all the time on local trips. The wifes new Yaris hybrid should be with us next month and whilst not a huge step up on the excellent Fabia it will help especially in town. The Caterham had a historic Ford x-flow in it 31 years ago when I built it fitted with 2 x 45 Webers and clockwork ignition with a race cam. On a good day you could get about 20 mpg, less of you pushed on. Now its got a modern Ford Zetec in it fitted with fuel injection. Its more powerful, way better to drive and in the same use it will average about 36 mpg.

But not only that but our annual mileages have reduced not only following Covid but also with retirement. Back in the 90's we were doing about 35,000 miles a year in the 3 cars, now its closer to 10,000 miles.

If everyone could manage that whilst not perfect it would certainly help.

I have never heard anyone in the workplace or pub talking about environmental issues either

Trouble is most people cannot see beyond the end of their nose.

Loads of evidence that we are changing our planet, you don't need to read about it, just look around you.

Personally I have done what I can to help. The Superb is a PHEV and I use electricity whenever I can and all the time on local trips. The wifes new Yaris hybrid should be with us next month and whilst not a huge step up on the excellent Fabia it will help especially in town. The Caterham had a historic Ford x-flow in it 31 years ago when I built it fitted with 2 x 45 Webers and clockwork ignition with a race cam. On a good day you could get about 20 mpg, less of you pushed on. Now its got a modern Ford Zetec in it fitted with fuel injection. Its more powerful, way better to drive and in the same use it will average about 36 mpg.

But not only that but our annual mileages have reduced not only following Covid but also with retirement. Back in the 90's we were doing about 35,000 miles a year in the 3 cars, now its closer to 10,000 miles.

If everyone could manage that whilst not perfect it would certainly help.

Perhaps you should've considered only owning one (smaller, high mpg) car in retirement, avoiding all the extra emissions from creating the second. A hire car would then be used if so required for towing / long (holiday) journeys, etc, e.g. with lots of luggage capacity, etc.

Doing a low annual mileage and regularly buying new cars contributes a significant amount of CO2 per mile driven. Not so bad if you're doing a much higher annual mileage or keeping the car for a lot longer. Plus it saves you a small fortune in depreciation (easily offsetting any improvements in mpg and reliability / maintenance costs), especially if you keep the car 10 years instead of 3-4.

I make the same argument for people changing their 'old' 75-80% efficient boiler that's 7-10 years old (but still is reasonably reliable, having good availability of spares and expertise to maintain them) by shelling out £2k - £3k (or more) for a new 90% efficient boiler that 'saves' them about £100 a year in gas, but which will have a lifespan of 15-20 years, 25 if you're very lucky.

Personally I have done what I can to help. The Superb is a PHEV and I use electricity whenever I can and all the time on local trips.

Good for you. So have I (mainly because of self interest!). 12 yrs ago I paid £10,500 for a 14 panel solar array which generates about as much electricity as we use each year (c.3MW). The FIT scheme repaid the investment after 7.5 yrs and it currently pays me more than enough to buy the petrol for my enjoyable gas guzzling A8.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Andrew-T

<< Back in the 90's we were doing about 35,000 miles a year in the 3 cars, now its closer to 10,000 miles. If everyone could manage that whilst not perfect it would certainly help. >>

Not really. It will cause less damage than before, but it won't really help. Anyone who seriously wanted to help would have to give up travelling by any form of transport which uses an engine. Most of the desperate measures being resorted to are elaborate attempts to find ways to continue doing what we like doing - and what increasing numbers are doing. Any significant improvements we make will take quite a few years to have a noticeable effect. So following generations will have to adapt to some violent weather, and hordes of people trying to escape worse weather in other places !

‘ Is there much difference between, say, Tesla, Nissan or BYD engines?’

There is some variance around motor types (some brands do call them engines), I’m typing this from a Polestar 2 which has either 1 or 2 permanent magnet motors, whilst next week I’ve a Renault Scenic arriving which uses an ‘excited synchronous motor which is more efficient than a permanent magnet motor and uses no rare earth materials.’
I’m sure there are differences when bench testing, not sure they’re discernible when driving….
I’m pretty data driven, generally, and there’s very little around.
There was a survey late last year that came up with the banner that EV’s are 79% less reliable than ICE’s - but I haven’t seen a drill down on how many of the issues were EV specific and how many were build quality issues either from manufacturers new to building cars or legacy manufacturers new to building EV’s.
For a deep dive into motor types - www.academia.edu/41660546/TYPES_OF_MOTORS_USED_IN_...S

Edited by mcb100 on 10/02/2024 at 13:03

Perhaps you should've considered only owning one (smaller, high mpg) car in retirement, avoiding all the extra emissions from creating the second. A hire car would then be used if so required for towing / long (holiday) journeys, etc, e.g. with lots of luggage capacity, etc.

Doing a low annual mileage and regularly buying new cars contributes a significant amount of CO2 per mile driven. Not so bad if you're doing a much higher annual mileage or keeping the car for a lot longer. Plus it saves you a small fortune in depreciation (easily offsetting any improvements in mpg and reliability / maintenance costs), especially if you keep the car 10 years instead of 3-4.

Worked hard all our live, have 3 pensions each and savings. We don't want to have only one car. We have been tempted to buy something special such as a Merc or BMW but it would make no sense. Happy with the type of cars we have.

A quick tap suggest we were using 1,064 gallons of petrol a year in the early 90's to do our mileage, now we use about 178 gallons a year. If we were still doing our early 90's mileage we would still only be using about 623 gallons, little more than 1/2. That is how much the efficiency of modern cars has improved.

I make the same argument for people changing their 'old' 75-80% efficient boiler that's 7-10 years old (but still is reasonably reliable, having good availability of spares and expertise to maintain them) by shelling out £2k - £3k (or more) for a new 90% efficient boiler that 'saves' them about £100 a year in gas, but which will have a lifespan of 15-20 years, 25 if you're very lucky.

We had a Baxi back boiler at the old 3 bed house (early 30's and about 1100 sq/ft) and used about 1500 m3 of gas annually. Where we live now its 4 bed and about 1,600 sq/ft and dates to the mid 50's. Its a Vaillant Combi and its uses about 1,000 m3 a year. That is a saving of just over £400 a year.

Wifes uncle lives in a small 2 bed council bungalow dating back to the mid 70's, its about 500 sq/ft. It had a back boiler like we had in the old house and since he never really goes out and has the heating up high he used about 1,800 m3 a year. Last February the council fitted new Ideal Combi boilers to all the properties on his estate that still had the old boilers. With the house just as hot as before and never going out he has used about 1,000 m3 in the last 12 months. That is a whopping saving of about £650 a year.

So much for your £100 a year figure.

Edited by skidpan on 10/02/2024 at 14:01

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Big John

We use just over 8000 kwh in gas a year currently on a smallish and well insulated house but well heated. I must admit I was slightly disappointed that our gas bill only dropped by an average of £10/month when we changed from an old 1980's Glowworm boiler to an Ideal condensing boiler in 2017.

That difference would be greater these days of course. I've found in my magic spreadsheet historic figure of 12700 kwh / year - after applying to current Octopus prices that would be a difference of £18/month £216 /year

Worked hard all our live, have 3 pensions each and savings. We don't want to have only one car. We have been tempted to buy something special such as a Merc or BMW but it would make no sense. Happy with the type of cars we have.

A quick tap suggest we were using 1,064 gallons of petrol a year in the early 90's to do our mileage, now we use about 178 gallons a year. If we were still doing our early 90's mileage we would still only be using about 623 gallons, little more than 1/2. That is how much the efficiency of modern cars has improved.

We had a Baxi back boiler at the old 3 bed house (early 30's and about 1100 sq/ft) and used about 1500 m3 of gas annually. Where we live now its 4 bed and about 1,600 sq/ft and dates to the mid 50's. Its a Vaillant Combi and its uses about 1,000 m3 a year. That is a saving of just over £400 a year.

Wifes uncle lives in a small 2 bed council bungalow dating back to the mid 70's, its about 500 sq/ft. It had a back boiler like we had in the old house and since he never really goes out and has the heating up high he used about 1,800 m3 a year. Last February the council fitted new Ideal Combi boilers to all the properties on his estate that still had the old boilers. With the house just as hot as before and never going out he has used about 1,000 m3 in the last 12 months. That is a whopping saving of about £650 a year.

So much for your £100 a year figure.

That wasn't a fair comparison, as it was comparing a very old boiler with the latest ones. I was comparing one from 10-15 years ago or so, when the government was paying people (especially the elderly) to replace perfectly serviceable, relatively new boilers that were 70-80% efficient in small houses, newer flats, etc which don't use that much gas for heating. Note also that smaller properties will also use a good deal of gas for cooking if they have a gas hob/cooker and even a gas oven.

Taking an old bungalow with lots of external walls and roof area and a seemingly VERY old boiler is a different kettle of fish as you should well know. When I replaced my flat's 2002 non-condensing boiler (74% efficient) with my current 90% efficient Vaillant in 2019, I wasn't saving that much. I'm saving more now, as is your uncle, but a good deal of that is because of the gas price hikes, as well you know.

If the cap had been as it was in 2019, his saving would've been half as much, maybe less, and for a non-typical home.

‘Only 3% of cars on UK roads are EVs’

Not doubting the veracity of that for a moment, but last month 14.7% of new registrations were EV.
As those older ICE’s come to the end of their lives, they will inevitably be replaced in EV’s, so the total stock in the UK fleet will grow.

"- but I haven’t seen a drill down on how many of the issues were EV specific and how many were build quality issues either from manufacturers new to building cars or legacy manufacturers new to building EV’s."

Getting back to John F's question...

I think that's a really interesting point as more data becomes available. Comparisons between EV-only manufacturers such as Tesla who have decent expertise in the EV aspect but not general manufacturing and the traditional ICE manufacturers who are the reverse of that.

I suspect there's a huge amount of component sharing going on as with current ICE. The difference is how those parts all all assembled.

I get the impression that Tesla's problems have been more to do with assembly ("build quality") and not so much the electric tech.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - martin.mc
‘Only 3% of cars on UK roads are EVs’ Not doubting the veracity of that for a moment, but last month 14.7% of new registrations were EV. As those older ICE’s come to the end of their lives, they will inevitably be replaced in EV’s, so the total stock in the UK fleet will grow.

That's fine if you can charge at home and have plenty of money. Many can only spend 5K on a car and would have to take out a loan to pay for it. Such people would just buy a secondhand petrol or diesel car.

You’ve responded to your own point there.
There’s no ban forthcoming on the use of petrol and diesel cars - just the sale of new ones from 2035.
People will be driving internal combustion engined cars for decades to come. Maybe using synthetic fuel, but who knows?
As far as I can see the world of the £5000 car is here to stay for a good while.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - pd
‘Only 3% of cars on UK roads are EVs’ Not doubting the veracity of that for a moment, but last month 14.7% of new registrations were EV. As those older ICE’s come to the end of their lives, they will inevitably be replaced in EV’s, so the total stock in the UK fleet will grow.

That's fine if you can charge at home and have plenty of money. Many can only spend 5K on a car and would have to take out a loan to pay for it. Such people would just buy a secondhand petrol or diesel car.

The selection of £5k cars is entirely dictated by what the fashions were in new cars 10-15 years ago. At the moment many will be diesels because that it what dominated the market in 2012 and thereabouts.

At some point EV will become a viable option at £5k.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - badbusdriver

The selection of £5k cars is entirely dictated by what the fashions were in new cars 10-15 years ago. At the moment many will be diesels because that it what dominated the market in 2012 and thereabouts.

At some point EV will become a viable option at £5k.

There are currently 110 electric cars (excluding insurance write offs) on Autotrader under £5k. So assuming you an charge at home, don't need to travel far and/or it is to be a 2nd car, a £5k EV is already a viable option.

There are currently 110 electric cars (excluding insurance write offs) on Autotrader under £5k. So assuming you an charge at home, don't need to travel far and/or it is to be a 2nd car, a £5k EV is already a viable option.

Of these 72 are Nissan Leaf with mostly a 24kwh battery (half the size of similar today) and mostly 10-12 years old.

The technology is effectively obsolete. Range (with some battery degradation) is probably below 100 miles - a safe range of perhaps 60-75 miles.

It is a viable proposition - but only as a second car in a household with off street charging, used only for the school run, short commuting and shopping trips.

Reality is that for most folk the £5000 EV will not be viable and available for probably another 5-8 years when the current crop of 2-3 year old EVs (with decent range and technology etc) reach that level of the s/h market.

Nor should one be surprised - for conventionally fuelled cars there is a lot more choice but £5k buys you an unremarkable 8-15 year old small/medium hatch.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Bromptonaut

It is a viable proposition - but only as a second car in a household with off street charging, used only for the school run, short commuting and shopping trips.

That was all my Mother did with two Austin Minis and a Renault 5 between 1966 and 1985.

Electric Range Rover - Xileno

Meanwhile for those with deep pockets this might suffice:

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/range-rover-el...0

It will be interesting to see whether JLR reliability improves with the transition to all EV. No more DPF problems or Ingenium cam chains for example.

Electric Range Rover - mcb100
Going off topic, but I had a brand new diesel hybrid Range Rover for 24 hours last week.
It was majestic to drive, the EV version should drive even better….
Electric Range Rover - Andrew-T
Going off topic, but I had a brand new diesel hybrid Range Rover for 24 hours last week. It was majestic to drive,...

Probably safe for 24 hours, anyway ... :-)

Electric Range Rover - Engineer Andy
Going off topic, but I had a brand new diesel hybrid Range Rover for 24 hours last week. It was majestic to drive,...

Probably safe for 24 hours, anyway ... :-)

From being nicked or spontaneously combusting? :-)

Electric Range Rover - madf
Going off topic, but I had a brand new diesel hybrid Range Rover for 24 hours last week. It was majestic to drive, the EV version should drive even better….

You will not be able to insure it...

Electric Range Rover - Metropolis.
Going off topic, but I had a brand new diesel hybrid Range Rover for 24 hours last week. It was majestic to drive, the EV version should drive even better….

You can get insurance straight from Land Rover now. Not sure of the details though but I heard they made their own insurance product to counter the problem.
Electric Range Rover - RT

You can get insurance straight from Land Rover now. Not sure of the details though but I heard they made their own insurance product to counter the problem.

Even Land Rover Insurance are refusing on certain models.

Electric Range Rover - Engineer Andy

Even Land Rover Insurance are refusing on certain models.

I wonder if they have a special 'covered car park' excess, and how much it would be? ;-)

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - barney100

According to this mornings press EVs are being reduced by up to 24%…Mokka …dealers needing to lower stock etc. Folks looking for an EV have a good opportunity to get a decent deal.

According to this mornings press EVs are being reduced by up to 24%…Mokka …dealers needing to lower stock etc. Folks looking for an EV have a good opportunity to get a decent deal.

Trouble is, like many modern-day cars, they were already way too expensive to start with. Taking 24% off is making them just 'expensive'. I can still remember when the brokers were offering discounts ranging from 15-30% for ICE cars with starting prices well under £20k back in 2016/17.

A lot of the latest stock of cars are likely still being offered (with reductions) at prices nearer to £30k than £20k. Back then, the ICE versions could easily be had (after discounts) for well half the lowest the EV versions are now going for.

Utter madness in my view. Surely they must've known that EVs aren't for the mass market for the next (probably) 20 years or more because it just costs too much?

£20,000 in 2016 is £26k+ in real terms now so it's not a million miles out.

EVe (well, some) are certainly a premium over ICE but the gap isn't that large that it isn't inconceivable it could be closed relatively soon.

Whilst I think some list prices for EVs are bonkers reality and the market bites quickly and this is becoming apparent for anyone who overprices their models.

£20,000 in 2016 is £26k+ in real terms now so it's not a million miles out.

EVe (well, some) are certainly a premium over ICE but the gap isn't that large that it isn't inconceivable it could be closed relatively soon.

Whilst I think some list prices for EVs are bonkers reality and the market bites quickly and this is becoming apparent for anyone who overprices their models.

Remember I said that a lot of these cars could be had for well under £20k after discounts. Included in that was brand new Golf GT 1.4 TSI 150s, list price around £25k, on Motorpoint back in late 2016 / early 2017 for £17k, a discount of £8k / 32%. I remember many others, like a Nissan Pulsar 1.6Dig-T range topper discounted on brokers by similar amounts back to around £13k from £20k+.

I suspect you could get a decent spec MokkaX 1.4T for probably £15k (-20% RRP), maybe less. Note also that ICE cars are a good deal cheaper to insure than today's EV replacements as well, plus the set up costs for home charging.

Note that EVs would be even more expensive had they not been subsidised by the price of ICE cars being raised and taxed heavily, plus all the inflation caused by the blank cheque spending where a blind man could see it was mostly worthless at best and criminal at worst.

Note - ICE penalty of up to £15k (max) per vehicle unless EV sales hit the 22% target. Pre-covid prices are irrelevant. The ~£15k small and fairly basic ICE available today will increase to ~£20-25k with penalty.

2024 will see the launch of small EVs expected to be priced at ~£20-25k with a range adequate for most users.

Those who currently buy s/h will continue to do so - the price of new is academic.

What happens in 20 years time as remaining ICE are sc***ped is pure speculation - can anyone to reliably anticipate what will happen to EV performance and pricing, tax, autonomous vehicle technology etc.

The days of ICE are numbered. The only real question is whether as 2035 approaches folk are still buying ICE or will already have willingly moved on.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Bolt

Utter madness in my view. Surely they must've known that EVs aren't for the mass market for the next (probably) 20 years or more because it just costs too much?

Not forgetting they are not going to save the world anyway, as there is nothing to save, global warming is a natural occurrence of which we cannot do anything about, bearing in mind EVs are worse for the environment- not better, as some are finding out, slowly........ I do wonder how people have come to that conclusion that they are good??????

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Adampr

Not forgetting they are not going to save the world anyway, as there is nothing to save, global warming is a natural occurrence of which we cannot do anything about, bearing in mind EVs are worse for the environment- not better, as some are finding out, slowly........ I do wonder how people have come to that conclusion that they are good??????

EVs aren't supposed to save the world. They're supposed (amongst other things) to reduce carbon emissions from transport. That's just one of many things that are needed to reduce and slow the impact of human-related.climate change. You might as well tell everyone you're having salt for dinner if you're going to suggest one ingredient is the whole.dish.

Climate change is indeed a natural occurrence, but sadly it's not currently following the pattern that it should based on previous cycles, and the most likely cause of this (being the thing that has changed) is human life, particularly our emissions of greenhouse gases.

As we've covered a few times, there is no evidence to suggest that EVs are worse for the environment. They undoubtedly are better for the immediate environment of standing next to them and densely packing cities with cars.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - alan1302

I do wonder how people have come to that conclusion that they are good??????

I do wonder how you have come to the conclusion they are bad considering there is a wealth of information showing they are better overall than an ICE car.

‘EVe (well, some) are certainly a premium over ICE but the gap isn't that large that it isn't inconceivable it could be closed relatively soon.’

2027 comes up quite regularly as the point at which EV and ICE hit price parity.

There are still plenty of deals to be had if you look.

For example, a Megane E-Tech which lists for about £40k is easily available for £22-£23k at around 12 months old and 6k miles.

You can get a brand new MG4 for £21855 on a 24-plate (check Autotrader).

The market will ultimately decide transaction prices regardless of list just like it always has.

Like all new products EV's cost more than their older alternative the ICE car. Its the same for all products as new tech comes in and always will be.

But how are they going to become more competitive price wise unless they are on the market and selling in increasing numbers. If you think by not selling any to the mass market for 20 years is going to make them cheaper then I am sorry to have to break the news to you that you are sadly deluded.

Like all new products EV's cost more than their older alternative the ICE car. Its the same for all products as new tech comes in and always will be.

But how are they going to become more competitive price wise unless they are on the market and selling in increasing numbers. If you think by not selling any to the mass market for 20 years is going to make them cheaper then I am sorry to have to break the news to you that you are sadly deluded.

I was pointing out that charging the rest of us - especially at the cheaper end of the ranges of ICE cars - to subsidise products that only the well off can afford is hardly the actions of a responsible manufacturer, is it?

Given that every other tech innovation - in computing, AV, etc, etc has been paid for by other means - including improvements in manufacturing efficiency (which should be for EVs if they are 'less complex' as advertised), why can't EVs?

The problem is that such products have been artificially and significantly foisted upon by manufacturers and the public before proper R&D has occurred so that the technology is developed naturally so that costs come down and sales go up organically, which means they can be passed onto the consumer whilst protecting profits for the manufacturer.

I don't think it's me who's the deluded one.

There are still plenty of deals to be had if you look.

For example, a Megane E-Tech which lists for about £40k is easily available for £22-£23k at around 12 months old and 6k miles.

You can get a brand new MG4 for £21855 on a 24-plate (check Autotrader).

Also on Autotrader, a brand new Corsa e for just under £20k.

That brings it much closer in price to an ICE Corsa (ignoring the base n/a 1.2) with the cheapest brand new 100bhp 1.2 turbo being just under £18k. But if you wanted an ICE Corsa closer in power to the Corsa e's 136bhp, you'd have to pay £600 more (than that Corsa e) for the 130bhp version (only available as an auto)

‘bearing in mind EVs are worse for the environment- not better, as some are finding out, slowly........ I do wonder how people have come to that conclusion that they are good??????’

Who, how and what are they slowly finding out?

Watch this interesting clip from Harry’s garage . He’s back in a diesel after trying an EV and a PHEV..

Industry fears of complying with Euro 7 have a lotto answer for but Jonathan Palmer has redifined a luxury car as one that will cover 600 miles in a week without the need to refuel.

https://youtu.be/nZysvgm2_Aw?feature=shared

Watch this interesting clip from Harry’s garage . He’s back in a diesel after trying an EV and a PHEV..

Industry fears of complying with Euro 7 have a lotto answer for but Jonathan Palmer has redifined a luxury car as one that will cover 600 miles in a week without the need to refuel.

A fairly sensible and balanced without most of the ranting which bedevils the anti-EV brigade. However:

• the focus on £100k+ motors is of zero consequence for most
  • 600 mile range - unimportant - most never drive that far, bladders can't cope - tech solution - catheter, drip, chocolate bars
  • the cost of EV vs ICE is rapidly closing - depreciation likely to be less of an issue

Whether only 30% of car sales will be EV depends largely on laws and incentives. I doubt there will be a major u-turn - the ascendancy of EV in the UK is pretty much assured.

A fairly sensible and balanced without most of the ranting which bedevils the anti-EV brigade. However:

• the focus on £100k+ motors is of zero consequence for most
  • 600 mile range - unimportant - most never drive that far, bladders can't cope - tech solution - catheter, drip, chocolate bars
  • the cost of EV vs ICE is rapidly closing - depreciation likely to be less of an issue

Whether only 30% of car sales will be EV depends largely on laws and incentives. I doubt there will be a major u-turn - the ascendancy of EV in the UK is pretty much assured.

No-one suggests that a 600 mile trip would be done without stopping for "comfort breaks" - when EVs can recharge in 5-10 mins, albeit at a price, then they'll be a lot more practical for those of us who don't do a regular short commute.

My daughter’s family travelled to an Austrian Ski resort at half term from the North of England . Somewhat further than 600 miles .

They travelled overnight and arrived first thing the next day and were on the ski slopes the same afternoon . Achieved against the odds as they came across the farmers protests at Dover .

The vehicle ?

A diesel Mercedes people carrier.

Fair enough if you've got at least two drivers but I prefer to make stops part of the holiday, having a meal or coffee, that sort of thing. Each to their own though.

And are EVs comfortable for long distances? I sat in a Tesla Model 3 in Milton Keynes last week (killing time during a MrsF shopping expedition) and noticed the seats were not much further from the floor than those in my TR7 (about 9"), particularly in the back. Once I'd got the driving position sorted, the rear passengers would be grasping their ears with their knees. As most professional drivers probably know, the ideal seat height is from floor to knee. The seat of a half decent domestic lounge sofa, even when squashed, is usually well over a foot from the floor.

And news today that this company that offered a complete leasing service for EVs including insurance , tax and charging has gone into receivership.

https://youtu.be/saJnMGlHA4k?feature=shared

And are EVs comfortable for long distances? I sat in a Tesla Model 3 in Milton Keynes last week (killing time during a MrsF shopping expedition) and noticed the seats were not much further from the floor than those in my TR7 (about 9"), particularly in the back. Once I'd got the driving position sorted, the rear passengers would be grasping their ears with their knees. As most professional drivers probably know, the ideal seat height is from floor to knee. The seat of a half decent domestic lounge sofa, even when squashed, is usually well over a foot from the floor.

They're as comfortable as any other car. A Tesla might not be (I've only sat in one and it was the bigger one), but almost all others are just cars with electric motors and batteries instead of petrol engines and fuel tanks.

Seat comfort obviously depends on the brand, but you always have a battery sitting under the floor of pretty much the entire passenger compartment.
So it pushes the seating position a little higher - quite often if you have the front seats on their lowest setting to replicate an ICE it’ll compromise the ability of rear passengers to get their feet under the front seats.
I did have a new Renault Scenic delivered yesterday - not yet had chance to examine it that closely, but that does seem positively cavernous in the rear. And it has a camera for rear view and a screen for a mirror. First time I’ve used one as an interior mirror. Super wide angle of view with no obstructions, but you do have to adapt to the focus point of the mirror rather than the variation of focal length when looking into a glass mirror.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Ethan Edwards

I understand there are now 2% BEVs on the road. Sure seems a low figure to me. On the A12 going to work ( and back) Wed/ Thur and there are loads about. Maybe it's mostly us working stiffs who have them. It's a great commuting tool I know that.

When I got mine I was the only one in our office car park who had one. Now there are several. Couple of M3 an S an Egolf etc and me.

Lots of EV company cars, salary sacrifice cars out there, and they’ll be the ones doing the commute and using office car parks.
And they’re the ones that have been c15% of new registrations for the past year or two.

Whilst that's a great point, our company does not have company cars. Or Salary sacrifice ( but it has been talked about) so they'll either be leased, HP or like mine bought.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/02/2024 at 15:27

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - daveyjp

I've just briefly followed a vehicle I didn't recognise and thought it might be from one of the many Chinese manufactures who are now present in the UK.

On passing I noticed it was a new smart EV. A model I was unaware of as I thought smart had left the car market. Starting at £36k I can't imagine seeing many. Slightly more than £6k we paid for our first brand new smart 25 years ago!

I've just briefly followed a vehicle I didn't recognise and thought it might be from one of the many Chinese manufactures who are now present in the UK.

On passing I noticed it was a new smart EV. A model I was unaware of as I thought smart had left the car market. Starting at £36k I can't imagine seeing many. Slightly more than £6k we paid for our first brand new smart 25 years ago!

Starting just under £32k according Smart website

Smart now part owned by Geely and the cars are made in China. So your first thought was spot on.

The Smart #1. There is also a Smart #3 on the way. They seemed to have wisely skipped past number two and avoided the amusement generated by the Hyundai Pony.

The Smart #1. There is also a Smart #3 on the way. They seemed to have wisely skipped past number two and avoided the amusement generated by the Hyundai Pony.

Presumably the Smart #1 can only be had as a 'P' reg? The car doesn't look small either, so it can't be called 'wee' (sorry SLO)...

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - SLO76
“ Presumably the Smart #1 can only be had as a 'P' reg? The car doesn't look small either, so it can't be called 'wee' (sorry SLO)...”

Everything short of a Bentley Continental is referred to as “wee” up here.
They're as comfortable as any other car. A Tesla might not be....

??

Seat comfort obviously depends on the brand, but you always have a battery sitting under the floor ....... So it pushes the seating position a little higher

No it doesn't, it just pushes the floor higher in all the backs of EVs I've sat in. If the actual seat was pushed higher the car roof would need to be higher - which it clearly is in the more expensive Tesla models but not in the popular base Tesla model 3.

- quite often if you have the front seats on their lowest setting to replicate an ICE it’ll compromise the ability of rear passengers to get their feet under the front seats.

I think you miss the point. The best position for long term working occupancy, and hence comfort, of a seat is kneecap high from the floor.

They're as comfortable as any other car. A Tesla might not be....

??

There is no reason for an EV to be uncomfortable. Teslas might be uncomfortable, I don't know, but that's because they're cheaply built American cars designed at the behest of a single wealthy lunatic, not because they have an electric drivetrain.

You can't say ICE cars are impractical because a Caterham 7 is.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - SLO76
Used EV’s are offering some excellent value at the moment. Cinch have a 62kw Leaf on for £13,995, the 40kw is starting around £10,000 with sensible miles up. Very practical and useful small family car that costs peanuts to run other than the ongoing depreciation. Yes there are compromises to be made, but less so with the larger battery pack which should do 200 miles easily enough.

Been watching used VW ID4’s also as they’re absolutely plummeting in value. Someone is taking a bath on these things, mostly large leasing firms and finance companies who’ll never see their guaranteed future values back.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/02/2024 at 09:49

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - Brit_in_Germany

Octopus are offering free charging for compatible Leafs if you sign up for vehicle-to-grid charging.

‘ No it doesn't, it just pushes the floor higher in all the backs of EVs I've sat in. If the actual seat was pushed higher the car roof would need to be higher - which it clearly is in the more expensive Tesla models but not in the popular base Tesla model 3.’

Take a look at any images of an EV battery - it extends under the front seats. I’m sitting in the front of one now and there’s a definite ramp down from the level to which the seat is bolted to the floor height in the pedal box. It’s all the seats are raised. Renault talk about an 11cm thick battery (that’s a thin one) where do you ‘lose’ that 11cm? Decrease ground clearance or mount the seats 11cm higher? Or, in reality, a bit of both.

I’ve never come across the kneecap seat height measurement criteria before.

www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-8FA15...l

Edited by mcb100 on 17/02/2024 at 12:56

Renault Twingo E - Rent a Renault for €40 a month. - focussed

If you need a car to get to work and your taxable personal income is low, this is the deal for you.

No initial deposit, no balloon payment just €40 per month for 37 months.

if you want servicing included add €6 per month

Insure with any company.

Obviously with government assistance.

Terms and conditions apply.

www.renault.fr/leasing-electrique.html

Renault Twingo E - Rent a Renault for €40 a month. - Xileno

Presumably only for French residents.

Renault Twingo E - Rent a Renault for €40 a month. - John F

To be able to benefit from leasing, four conditions must be respected:

- You must be of legal age and domiciled in France;

- Your reference tax income per unit must be less than or equal to 15,400 euros. This is indicated on your tax notice, the tax notice to be considered being that of year N-1 for the income of year N-2 (the reference year (N) being the year of payment of the first rent).

You must meet one of the following two conditions:

- The length of the journey, made exclusively with your personal vehicle, between your home and your place of work is greater than 15 kilometers;

- You travel more than 8,000 kilometers per year as part of your professional activity with your personal vehicle. You must not have benefited from the leasing system less than 3 years ago. The system is intended to be extended in 2024 to all French people whose reference tax income is less than 15,400 euros, within the limits of available stocks.

I don't think many backroomers will meet these conditions!

Renault Twingo E - Rent a Renault for €40 a month. - Xileno

We have a few in France (including me at one time) but agreed, not many.

Still an interesting article for discussion in relation to how other countries are dealing with the rollout of EV. I guess the French Govt. is more enthusiastic about these subsidies for their own manufacturers.

Would be interesting to know if other countries raise the same issues as we often see in the Backroom. A French Backroom must exist.

Will probably move this to the EV thread in a bit, I think it sits best there.

Renault Twingo E - Rent a Renault for €40 a month. - focussed

"I don't think many backroomers will meet these conditions!"

There are a lot of people in France that do meet those conditions - the offer was oversubscribed x 2.

The €15,400 reference tax income threshhold is targeted at workers on the SMIC - the French minimum wage, the young trainees and older care workers especially.

And that figure is the amount you are taxed on, having deducted various allowances.

You are not alone. Over the years I have advised hundreds of people in sedentary occupations with back problems. Nowadays you can just search 'best height for office chair....'

You are not alone. Over the years I have advised hundreds of people in sedentary occupations with back problems. Nowadays you can just search 'best height for office chair....'

The big problem with car seats is the 'anti-submarine' design, which means you end up with your knees higher than your hips. Flat seats and, as you say John's a far more upright seating position means that I have always found vans much more comfortable.

‘ Fair enough if you've got at least two drivers but I prefer to make stops part of the holiday, having a meal or coffee, that sort of thing. Each to their own though.’

Driven down south this evening in the new Renault Scenic.
Left home (Oldham) with 92% battery charge, and with the navigation predicting 10% battery upon arrival in High Wycombe.
On the speed limit on the way (when traffic was moving fast enough), climate control on, lights and wipers as necessary and it arrived with 20% remaining.
3.3 miles per kW/h means a motorway range of c270 miles without a stop. That’s further than I can go…
It’s now sitting in the hotel car park on charge ready for morning.

It’s quiet and comfortable, lots of good tech and generally a nice place to be.

To be fair, the weather has been quite mild this past week for the time of year, and you probably would have got closer to that 10% (or below) has it been nearer the norm.

Did you have backup plans to charge up (partially) if, for example, there were significant jams on the way down and/or had the charger(s) at the hotel been fault or already used?

One of the downsides to EVs appears to be the significant variation in coverage/availability, performance and reliability of chargers, whereas at least with filling stations, you can reasonably expect them to be working, delivery fuel at an expected rate and open as advertised.

Seems that a good deal of contingency planning for longer journeys is required, something I suspect a lot of people won't have the patience for at best.

Incidentally, how much did the hotel charge you (pardon the pun) to fully charge up your car? Given the current (and likely to persist for a good number of years) hard economic times, I suspect that hotels, motorway service stations et all will be looking to make a decent profit from EV charging as margins are reduced on the main element of their business.

‘ Did you have backup plans to charge up (partially) if, for example, there were significant jams on the way down and/or had the charger(s) at the hotel been fault or already used?’

If there was a significant hold up then my power consumption would have been minimal, and I arrived in High Wycombe with enough miles in the tank not to worry about it a plan B.
There are enough alternatives in the town in the unlikely event that all three chargers here weren’t working.

It really is nowhere near as scary as you think.
‘ Did you have backup plans to charge up (partially) if, for example, there were significant jams on the way down and/or had the charger(s) at the hotel been fault or already used?’ If there was a significant hold up then my power consumption would have been minimal, and I arrived in High Wycombe with enough miles in the tank not to worry about it a plan B. There are enough alternatives in the town in the unlikely event that all three chargers here weren’t working. It really is nowhere near as scary as you think.

Depends on where you live or need to drive to. My home region as well the part of the country where I regularly holiday is not exactly well served by fast chargers and/or in handy locations for what you're doing when you reach your destination.

Rather like mobile phone / high speed internet coverage, EV charging network coverage and quality is improving, but it's still best the nearer you get to larger / well-off urban areas.

‘ Incidentally, how much did the hotel charge you (pardon the pun) to fully charge up your car?’

50p per kW/h on a 22kW AC output.
Significantly cheaper than an a typical public car park charger.
‘ Incidentally, how much did the hotel charge you (pardon the pun) to fully charge up your car?’ 50p per kW/h on a 22kW AC output. Significantly cheaper than an a typical public car park charger.

Sounds like the hotel is cross-subsidising its purchase and use in other pricing, probably including non-EV owners. Doesn't sound fair to me, and I wonder how long that will continue?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 6 - kiss (keep it simple)
‘ Incidentally, how much did the hotel charge you (pardon the pun) to fully charge up your car?’ 50p per kW/h on a 22kW AC output. Significantly cheaper than an a typical public car park charger.

Sounds like the hotel is cross-subsidising its purchase and use in other pricing, probably including non-EV owners. Doesn't sound fair to me, and I wonder how long that will continue?

It could be quite feasible for a hotel to offer overnight charging at a competitive rate, something along the lines of Economy 7. The only drawback that I can see is the possibility that you wouldn't know if the charge had failed until the morning! 7kW for 7 hours should be ample for most vehicles to get a decent charge.

At 50p per kWh??? How much do you pay for electricity?

At 50p per kWh??? How much do you pay for electricity?

Commercial energy rates are considerably higher than domestric rates.

Commercial energy rates are now ~25p kwh - much the same as domestic.

During the energy crisis they were much higher as the government only subsidised domestic prices. As the energy market has stabilised government subsidies have disappeared.

There are even companies offering hotels and the leisure industry charging facilities which can be leased, bought or operated under a profit share -

Providing charging at 50p kwh may make a positive contribution either directly or by attracting more business from EV drivers (hotel nights, meals, events etc).

50p kwh works out at 12-16p per mile for a typical EV. This equates to ICE doing 41-55 mpg. Hardly exploitative.

Edited by leaseman on 22/02/2024 at 14:40

News this morning that Copper SV EV chargers have been withdrawn from the market because of fears that hackers may bring down the power network.

These chargers connect to the internet and allow users to remotely switch on and switch off the power.

But are these the only chargers that have this facility ?

50p/kw seems a middle of the road price to me and is roughly around what I think many providers charge if you sign it to one of the numerous discount schemes etc.

FWIW I am paying 17.54p at home including VAT today. At work it is around 24p I think but that is a contract rate, the home one varies every day.

News this morning that Copper SV EV chargers have been withdrawn from the market because of fears that hackers may bring down the power network.

These chargers connect to the internet and allow users to remotely switch on and switch off the power.

But are these the only chargers that have this facility ?

Most chargers allow remote switching. The Wallbox Copper SB will not be sold beyond the end of its current product cycle - the end of June 2024 - because it doesn't meet cybersecurity standards.

For obvious reasons, nobody has said which it specifically doesn't meet, but I suspect it's to do with its ability to connect to multiple devices simultaneously and bypass firewalls on those devices - in short, somebody who got hold.of.your phone could potentially get access to your home PC via a shared data link.

I can't imagine how it could possibly access the power network given that it is just an electrical device and there is no data connection via the power line.

I've looked into it a bit more. The articles in the Telegraph and GBeebies quote Ken Munro or Pen Test Partners talking about inadvertently creating a weapon with these chargers. I find it fascinating how the media works - the quote is over seven months old and not specifically related to this charger.

The point he was actually making, which is entirely valid, is that inadequate security in remote.chargers could be problematic because a hacker could turn thousands of chargers on or off at the same time and cause grid spikes. Presumably, this particular model has been deemed not sufficiently secure but not enough have been sold to put the network at risk yet.

So it's really just another salvo in the anti EV FUD spreading.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 23/02/2024 at 19:04

I've looked into it a bit more. The articles in the Telegraph and GBeebies quote Ken Munro or Pen Test Partners talking about inadvertently creating a weapon with these chargers. I find it fascinating how the media works - the quote is over seven months old and not specifically related to this charger.

The point he was actually making, which is entirely valid, is that inadequate security in remote.chargers could be problematic because a hacker could turn thousands of chargers on or off at the same time and cause grid spikes. Presumably, this particular model has been deemed not sufficiently secure but not enough have been sold to put the network at risk yet.

Turning a charger on has no effect if it is not connected to a car,,Or the car is fully charged.

Turning a charger on has no effect if it is not connected to a car,,Or the car is fully charged.

I know, but most EVs are charging at 1am, so.you could do it then. All it's really about is why it's important to have a secure networks, even for something as harmless as a charger. As it happens, we do, and one charger that has been identified as potentially being vulnerable is being phased out. It's a bit of a non-story really.

This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

Edited by Xileno on 24/02/2024 at 19:35