The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 7. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 24/02/2024 at 19:29

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - paul 1963

The other thread concerning the Audi e-tron has got me thinking, any idea on the most efficient EV, one that makes the most of its battery capacity.

I'm guessing it's going to be something small and light like the tiny Citroën city car ( name escapes me).

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Diesel Nut

I am amazed that anyone in their right mind still thinks an EV is an alternative to an ICE car. They are inefficient. Expensive to buy and to charge if you travel any distance. They are also dirty than a modern diesel car. Life is to short to waste waiting for this explosive fire risk to charge ready for a few more measly miles. All EV manufacturers have cut back production because folks are seeing through the hype and exaggerated range claims.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - alan1302

I am amazed that anyone in their right mind still thinks an EV is an alternative to an ICE car. They are inefficient. Expensive to buy and to charge if you travel any distance. They are also dirty than a modern diesel car. Life is to short to waste waiting for this explosive fire risk to charge ready for a few more measly miles. All EV manufacturers have cut back production because folks are seeing through the hype and exaggerated range claims.

You are incorrect - an EV is more efficient than a petrol or diesel car.

Expesnive to buy, yes they are - but prices are falling.

Expensive to charge if you travel any distance - it's true that you pay more when out and about to charge, however, petrol/diesel is also expensive when doing long distances.

They are not dirtier than a diesel car.

ICE vehicles are an explosive risk as well - are you going to stop using those as well?

Not all EV manufacturers have cut back on production either.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - mcb100
Parkers have listed their top 10 most efficient EV’s -

www.parkers.co.uk/electric-cars/most-efficient-ele.../

The Dacia Spring (forthcoming low priced city car) is quoting 4.8 miles per kW/h.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - paul 1963

Thanks MCB, just what I was looking for!

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - John F
The Dacia Spring (forthcoming low priced city car) is quoting 4.8 miles per kW/h.

What is the current (pun intended) kWh/£ conversion rate? (The FIT pays me over 60p for each kWh my solar array generates.)

‘What is the current (pun intended) kWh/£ conversion rate? (The FIT pays me over 60p for each kWh my solar array generates.)’

UK pricing for the car hasn’t been announced yet, that should be here in the next couple of weeks.
Hoping to have one during the summer.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Terry W

That a Mokka-E does more miles per kwh than an E-tron is unsurprising - it is a larger and heavier (2600kg vs 1600kg).

If the motivation for going EV environmental, choosing a needlessly oversize and overweight vehicle makes little sense. Status, comfort, gizmos are a different matter!

More fundamental changes to improve EV efficiency seem challenging - design to minimise drag, battery chemistry, efficiency of electric motors, regenerative braking setting, friction losses in suspension and drive systems etc.

Many of these have been optimised for ICE cars over the last century and I would expect little efficiency difference between EVs. So is the EV specific technology so variable?

Perhaps EV efficiency is largely an illusion - weight and size are the dominant determinants of miles per KWH. Weight can be traded off against range to some extent.

For any given vehicle I suspect driving style is the key issue - at 70mph aerodynamic drag is 36% higher than at 60mph.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - madf

well worth watching Harry's Garage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Steveieb

A very well argued discussion from Harry and one that’s hard to overlook. Another James May without Amazon Prime!

But the Renault Scenic has been voted Car of the Year with the BMW EV in second place. Thank goodness Euro 7 has been watered down to give manufacturers a second chance with their conventional cars

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - badbusdriver

Parkers have listed their top 10 most efficient EV’s -

www.parkers.co.uk/electric-cars/most-efficient-ele.../

Not sure if it is actually in production (and it probably won't ever come to the UK), but the Aptera (from the USA) will apparently do 10 miles per kWh.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - JonestHon

A man trying to sell his Porche Taycan in March 2024.

It's a bit long-winded but entertaining nonetheless.

youtu.be/77Yo4LpksWM?si=1BjQayqYWKcIMD2-

Dacia Spring has just been announced - £14,995 for the entry level, up to £16,995 to the top spec.
65hp and 137 miles range.

Edited by mcb100 on 11/03/2024 at 19:45

Autotrader has awarded the Audi e tron the fastest depreciating car in their survey of used cars . The Porsche Taycan came close too .

Can someone post the link please?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Adampr

Do you mean this, which is six months old and not quite the same as depreciation?

I imagine the depreciations list would be fairly similar. Interesting to see two hybrid Toyota's in there too.

www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-n...3

Many EVs coming to market were originally company cars. They benefitted from low benefit in kind taxes on individuals and favourable allowances for the company if bought outright.

The BIK EV rate was 2% compared to (say) 25% for ICE. On a £35k car this gave a BIK of either £700 or £8750 on which tax would be due at the top rate paid by the driver - some probably 20%, many at 40%. BIK savings far outweighs likely fuel savings.

The s/h market is valuing EVs at a level similar to their ICE equivalents - hence the large fall in value from new.

It reflects a reality that buyers are reluctant to pay a £5-8k premium for a s/h car - fuel savings being offset by perceived risks in charging networks and rapidly evolving tech.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - gordonbennet

Do you mean this, which is six months old and not quite the same as depreciation?

I imagine the depreciations list would be fairly similar. Interesting to see two hybrid Toyota's in there too.

www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-n...3

How is this worked out, asking price for the same car at main dealers now a year older? or the same equivalent age and mileage ie 3 year old 30k miler.

That dealers took possibly unfair advantage of buyers during the worse of the car shortage period and have fingers smouldering holding vast stocks they overpaid for whilst they had £ signs rotating in their eyes like some cartoon character, my sympathy for them is well below zero.

Just waiting idly for one of the big names to fold, that'll be another notch in the trail of destruction left in the wake of one particular individual.

Interesting that older cars which many people can afford without resorting to finance/rental/lease are in demand.

Dacia - SPRING is coming - Orb>>

From £14995 ?

Dacia Spring EV will start from £14,995 - almost half the price of the next cheapest electric car (msn.com)

Dacia - SPRING is coming - gordonbennet

One loves the sound of spanners being thrown into workings, well done Dacia.

Dacia - SPRING is coming - mcb100
With any luck, I’m in one for a couple of weeks in the summer - that’ll be an experience with no home charging, the Spring’s range, and touring the north of England.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Orb>>

Just waiting idly for one of the big names to fold, that'll be another notch in the trail of destruction left in the wake of one particular individual.

JUST LIKE CAZOO then?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Orb>>

Charging problems.

www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/12/renault-char...r

Renault again?

Many reports about Parts availability and repairability in the Guardian too.

Shortsighted - SLO76
Manufacturers are killing demand for EV’s through shortsighted greed. Massively inflated repair costs are causing horrific depreciation on electric vehicles, the trade are rightly being cautious and are hammering their values. I’ve been following numerous facebook pages and forums on the subject over the last year or so and the number of horror stories regarding cripplingly costly repairs is genuinely terrifying.

The link I included is just one recent example, how on earth do you value a used car when a relatively simple piece of equipment such as the charger can cost £6,500? It’s not an uncommon failure on the Zoe either, which makes buying a used one far too risky. There is no way this should cost anything like that much to repair and I’ll wager the parts cost Renault a tiny fraction of this. Again it’s short term greed but it’s killing the big picture. Had it been £1,500 then the car would be viable and the trade much less afraid to stock used examples.

They need to prove to the trade and the public that EV’s are safe and economically viable as used purchases if they want to shore up those free falling residuals. In the meantime they’re going to continue to collapse, leasing rates will soar as leading firms and finance companies take a bath on them. This greed is also causing insurers to dramatically rise premiums also as repair costs are wholly unrealistic. Some warranty providers are now asking double premiums on cover also, which is another downward pressure on used values.

If I were sat in a boardroom I’d advocate selling costly life ending components such as battery packs and chargers at cost in order to reassure the used car trade and firm up residuals. They need to look at the big picture. As things stand we are going to end up with a glut of electric vehicles that have been sold new via huge tax payer subsidies but are not appealing to the cautious used car trade and buyers. A regular look at local used EV’s for sale will usually show cars sat unused on forecourts for months and months. How will this lack of use affect the battery packs? I know my previous employer left a number of electric Optare buses sitting unused for the best part of a year, then when they went to offload them none would hold a charge. This was a huge waste of tax payers money, and the huge cost of replacing the battery packs makes them worthless despite their low mileage.

www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/12/renault-char...r
Shortsighted - Terry W

I agree with your observations.

Considering changing current car - 2018 Peugeot 308. Shortlist at ~1 year old - Kia Niro EV or Skoda Kamiq. Both well regarded. Previously had Octavia so confidence in Skoda. Niro has good EV range and could be workable despite the odd longer journey.

Big but - a major repair cost in respect of a minor EV component (despite 7 year Kia warranty) is a real negative. Now tending towards playing safe.

There may be reasons for the cost of spares:

• technology is advancing quickly. A 3-5 year old EV is almost obsolete
  • volumes of EV cars to support decent parts and repair are absent - EV are ~3% of vehicles on the road, most are less than 3 years old.
  • the average ICE is ~7 years old unsurprisingly the demand for spares and repair is much higher justifying a better infrastructure

I don't expect this to b e a permanent problem - in 3-5 years EV technology will start to stabilise, cars will start to age, and the volume on the roads will increase.

The question may be - will the government retain the commitment to EV - either by incentivising sales of EV or penalising ICE. Or simply to allow the continued freefall in s/h EV prices until the market catches up with the spares and repair infrastructure.

Shortsighted - elekie&a/c doctor
Our local Porsche dealer has a brace of Taycans on their front . Can’t give them away , which means second hand , they’re pretty much worthless.
Shortsighted - Adampr

I suspect they're trying to recover what money they can for something that's becoming obsolete.

Shortsighted - Steveieb

Thank you for this comprehensive analysis of the state of the EV used car market SLO.

Unless we have more repairers like Clevely Electric Cars of Cheltenham who are prepared to invest in training and sourcing used car parts the market will be held to ransom by the Main Dealers. I heard recently of a repair bill for a new battery for a Vivaro van costing £15 k at the main dealers for a new battery and then there was problem with the motor electronics.

Clevely have been able to dismantle written off EVs and recover the parts and also set up a nationwide service team operating from Cheltenham.

But they have found difficulty when it comes to pairing the used parts with the cars ECU and lack of cooperation from Main Dealers with this.

A friend has decided to extend his car repair business to include EVs . But after paying for training courses and certification of the engineers to work on EVs he is having second thoughts. It’s only the enthusiasm of his technicians that are driving the business forward!

Shortsighted - FiestaOwner
But they have found difficulty when it comes to pairing the used parts with the cars ECU and lack of cooperation from Main Dealers with this.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Main Dealers didn't have the knowledge & experience on how to help either!

Shortsighted - FiestaOwner
Manufacturers are killing demand for EV’s through shortsighted greed. Massively inflated repair costs are causing horrific depreciation on electric vehicles, the trade are rightly being cautious and are hammering their values. I’ve been following numerous facebook pages and forums on the subject over the last year or so and the number of horror stories regarding cripplingly costly repairs is genuinely terrifying.

The link I included is just one recent example, how on earth do you value a used car when a relatively simple piece of equipment such as the charger can cost £6,500? It’s not an uncommon failure on the Zoe either, which makes buying a used one far too risky. There is no way this should cost anything like that much to repair and I’ll wager the parts cost Renault a tiny fraction of this. Again it’s short term greed but it’s killing the big picture. Had it been £1,500 then the car would be viable and the trade much less afraid to stock used examples.

Also, 2 Hyundai dealers in Canada were quoting $60,000 for replacement batteries in Hyundai.Ioniqs. I can't help thinking that neither of the 2 cars needed replacement batteries. Hardly surprising that the private motorist is frightened of the crippling repair costs.

www.kiaevforums.com/threads/ioniq-5-battery-replac.../

youtu.be/EEXieo06ta8?feature=shared

Shortsighted - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think we’re racing to a massive EV graveyard, where cars once out of warranty will be uneconomic to fix . Really can’t see a future in repairing these .
Shortsighted - expat
I would think we’re racing to a massive EV graveyard, where cars once out of warranty will be uneconomic to fix . Really can’t see a future in repairing these .

It looks like a big opportunity for a bright guy in a back street garage. Someone must know how to repair these chargers independently. There are big profits to be made for someone who can figure it out.

Shortsighted - Terry W

The pool of EVs which may fail outside warranty have an average age of ~5 years and total 2-300k units. ICE vehicles outside warranty total ~23m with an average age of ~10 years.

For comparison - classic cars registered in the UK total 340k and exceeds out of warranty EVs. There is a market for spares for more popular models - helped by the use of standard components - eg: Girling, SU, Weber, Lucas etc.

Quite simply the market for EVs failing outside warranty is too small to support a worthwhile repair infrastructure. Not helped by the reluctance of OEM to support independent repairers.

Rapidly evolving technology means that spares for even 4 year old EVs may be obsolete, and manufactured in very low volumes at high unit costs. It may damage the brand but I am not surprised manufacturers have close to zero motivation to support older EVs.

Contrast with ICE where replacement parts may still be manufactured in quantity and used on current vehicles.

However I agree that at some point the opportunity to make money from repair of EVs will appeal in the futire - but I suspect not for 3-5 years!

Shortsighted - Will deBeast

For comparison - classic cars registered in the UK total 340k and exceeds out of warranty EVs. There is a market for spares for more popular models - helped by the use of standard components - eg: Girling, SU, Weber, Lucas etc.

This is a good comparison. Common spares are available. And for 'cult' models, just about anything has been remanufactured - including body shells for a select few.

The predicted spares availability was the reason I bought an mx-5 rather than an MR-2 thirteen years ago. I've not regretted my choice (which I intend to keep for years yet).

But the lack of common spares means that I see very few EVs being viable when they are 10+ years old.

Shortsighted - movilogo

Manufacturers are killing demand for EV’s through shortsighted greed.

Perhaps manufactures realized public is not embracing EVs the way they expected so they are trying to make profit in short term.

Shortsighted - Terry W

Perhaps manufactures realized public is not embracing EVs the way they expected so they are trying to make profit in short term.

This assumes that governments across much of the world will reverse the policy of transitioning to EV - IMHO unlikely. The public, like it or not, will have to embrace EVs.

Manufacturers of EVs are intent on winning the race for volume sales in the future . They make profits on selling new cars. New car buyers are little concerned about long term spares availability.

Supplying spare parts for a small pool of of obsolete vehicles is a distraction.

Shortsighted - Andrew-T

<< They make profits on selling new cars. New car buyers are little concerned about long term spares availability. >>

Some have said for a long time that it is hard to sell new cars at a good profit, which is why buyers are lured into several-year maintenance contracts ?

Shortsighted - galileo

A friend with contacts in the trade told me yesterday that a chap with a 5 year old Tesla wanted a new battery as his was down to 40 miles range.

His friendly dealer quoted £15000 for labour plus battery cost to do this.

Asking what his car was worth as trade-in against a new one the offer was £500.

Shortsighted - badbusdriver

A friend with contacts in the trade told me yesterday that a chap with a 5 year old Tesla wanted a new battery as his was down to 40 miles range.

An American study based on info from Tesla owners shows that at 7 years old, they still have an average of 93% of battery capacity (and at that age, the average mileage was 100k). Even owners with over 200k were still getting at least 81% of the original range (highest mileage they had figures for was 231k).

So as unfortunate as the predicament of the chap above is, it is in no way indicative or typical.

Shortsighted - daveyjp

It is also quite feasible for a 100k Range Rover engine to go bang after 5 years leaving a £15k bill.

Usual rules, an expensive car to buy will always be expensive to fix,

I suspect the Tesla battery has faulty cells, but if I was offered £500 the car would suddenly find itself in flames or up to the bonnet in water.

Shortsighted - pd

It is also quite feasible for a 100k Range Rover engine to go bang after 5 years leaving a £15k bill.

Usual rules, an expensive car to buy will always be expensive to fix,

I suspect the Tesla battery has faulty cells, but if I was offered £500 the car would suddenly find itself in flames or up to the bonnet in water.

In my experience of Range Rovers made in the last few years not just feasible but quite likely!

Shortsighted - Steveieb

The most positive review of EVs comes from the experts Cleveley EVs in Cheltenham who report that their engineers have run MG EV estates up to 100 k miles and the batteries still show over 90 % capacity.

No breakdowns and brake pads with hardly any sign of wear. And they should know as they use these vehicles to rescue EVs with problems all over the UK.

But the ASA have queried Audis Tv advert claim that the Q8 e tron can be charged in approx 31 minutes and has a 330 mile range allegedly.

Shortsighted - Terry W

Seems implausible on the face of it - AIUI the Tesla battery warranty is 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention ofbattery capacity over the warranty period.

Shortsighted - Wee Willie Winkie

I would respectfully suggest this is totally untrue.

Shortsighted - mcb100
The Tesla story does have ‘Chinese whispers’ vibes around it.
Shortsighted - Brit_in_Germany

Maybe it was a Tesla Roadster, that long forgotten disaster.

Shortsighted - Ethan Edwards

Put me in touch. I'll offer him 510 pounds all day long. As long as its decent. Used battery packs aren't more than 8k. The S was designed with battery removal in mind. 2019 Model S worth between 26 and 58k....money to be made.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 15/03/2024 at 21:07

A nicely written piece about the future of EV’s -

www.autoexpress.co.uk/sustainability/362584/vehicl...n
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - SLO76
Well written and makes absolute sense. Loads of reliable low cost charging would dull range anxiety and it makes absolute sense to be able to utilise the storage capacity in the nations EV’s to bolster our electricity grid.

We have plenty of potential wind and wave power but it’s hampered by our lack of storage. Every EV being plugged in while it’s stationary could serve as this storage. Being able to use our car to power our home during the day while electricity is expensive and charging it at night while it’s cheap makes much sense, as long as it has at least 80% capacity come 7am every morning for the daily transport needs. This is available now, but it’s costly and few homes have compatible chargers installed.

But in order to make EV’s appeal to the masses and the used trade manufacturers need to dramatically reduce the cost of repairing them. Until headlines like the one I linked above disappear Joe Public will continue to be hostile. If manufacturers won’t act then they’ll need to be forced to open up to outside competition to force repair prices down. They should be sat in front of our elected representatives being carpeted for their fantasy prices. Pricing a charger for a small French supermini at £6,500 is madness.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/03/2024 at 18:41

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - corax
We have plenty of potential wind and wave power but it’s hampered by our lack of storage.

And the National Grid can't cope with the number of clean energy projects under way right now.

We have plenty of potential wind and wave power but it’s hampered by our lack of storage.

And the National Grid can't cope with the number of clean energy projects under way right now.

Which is why they are investing a lot of money into ensuring they can.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - skidpan

Being able to use our car to power our home during the day while electricity is expensive and charging it at night while it’s cheap makes much sense

Perhaps it does if the car is at home. If you have driven to work in it etc there is no way to use it to power the home.

Surely storage batteries would be better (and cheaper) than having a "spare" EV on the drive.

Which is why they are investing a lot of money into ensuring they can.

But are swamped by many unrealistic projects which are not yet funded. (being fixed but SLOWLY)

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Andrew-T
Being able to use our car to power our home during the day while electricity is expensive and charging it at night while it’s cheap makes much sense, as long as it has at least 80% capacity come 7am every morning for the daily transport needs.

I agree that the notion itself has much sense, but perhaps the implementation of it has rather less ?

The assumption that the EV needs to be parked at home to provide power to the house is flawed. It merely needs to be able to pass the power back to the grid and get a financial credit.

Being able to use our car to power our home during the day while electricity is expensive and charging it at night while it’s cheap makes much sense, as long as it has at least 80% capacity come 7am every morning for the daily transport needs.

I agree that the notion itself has much sense, but perhaps the implementation of it has rather less ?

Sorry Mr Jones but the power losses over the Grid are 20% so we are only to pay you for 80% of the power we took form your battery.. and it was in off peak hours so worth £0.001 per KWH:-)

Seriously, taking power from people's batteries is not a simple as it is presented.

Sorry Mr Jones but the power losses over the Grid are 20% so we are only to pay you for 80% of the power we took form your battery.. and it was in off peak hours so worth £0.001 per KWH:-)

Seriously, taking power from people's batteries is not a simple as it is presented.

Power losses seem to be closer to 8-10%, not 20% and arise for technical reasons in transformers and transmission/distribution. They are are anyway irrelevant to the concept of using EV batteries to feed energy back into the grid.

Buying surplus energy at (say)10p kwh when supply is high and demand low (overnight), and selling it back to the grid (daytime) at (say) 20p kwh makes economic sense irrespective of transmission losses.

I do agree that integrating battery power into the grid is not a trivial challenge - but neither is it insuperable.

"Buying surplus energy at (say)10p kwh when supply is high and demand low (overnight), and selling it back to the grid (daytime) at (say) 20p kwh makes economic sense irrespective of transmission losses."

ONLY if the Grid has storage - which it has not and no approved plans to do so.. Otherwise it makes no sense at all Power is needed in the day; EVs are unlikely to be connected in daytime. And if the Grid has storage, it can store surplus solar and wind power so vars are not needed.

It is an expensive and unthought through system..(Polite version)

Edited by madf on 14/03/2024 at 12:01

ONLY if the Grid has storage - which it has not and no approved plans to do so.. Otherwise it makes no sense at all Power is needed in the day; EVs are unlikely to be connected in daytime. And if the Grid has storage, it can store surplus solar and wind power so vars are not needed.

The grid does not need storage - that is the role of the EV which when connected supplies the high demand during the day.

The issue is that to deliver the stored energy the EV needs to be connected to the grid.

There is an investment choice - installing generating capacity to meet peak demand or rolling out very widespread connections to the grid at work, shopping centres, car parks etc.

The grid does not need storage - that is the role of the EV which when connected supplies the high demand during the day.

The issue is that to deliver the stored energy the EV needs to be connected to the grid.

There is an investment choice - installing generating capacity to meet peak demand or rolling out very widespread connections to the grid at work, shopping centres, car parks etc.

The Grid needs storage as of last year. Lots of electricity generated, not stored but generators paid for it. A TOTAL waste of energy and money..

National Grid demand yesterday was ~38GW day, ~25GW night. Using stored EV energy during the day may reduce peak generating demand to ~32GW, a ~15% reduction

This is just a snapshot. Demonstrates the need for expensive generation and distribution infrastructure could be reduced by better balancing demand/supply and eliminating the demand peaks.

Typically EVs would charge overnight when demand is lower so in the morning they would be fully charged. Users could define the minimum level of charge required depending on planned journeys.

Flexible pricing - green generation is high + demand low = prices cheap. Conversely high demand + low generation = high price. Flexible pricing is already used by some companies for domestic supplies so completely feasible.

Leaving car at home during the day is unnecessary and pointless (most folk are at work) - most domestic power consumption is before 730am and after 5.00pm.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - skidpan

The assumption that the EV needs to be parked at home to provide power to the house is flawed. It merely needs to be able to pass the power back to the grid and get a financial credit.

Don't understand that at all.

Even if it could happen it would not work if you did not have access to a suitable point to plug into.

Total bull testicles.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - focussed

Using batteries to prop-up unreliable wind and solar generation raises another problem that never seems to be discussed.

So the wind drops and the sky is cloudy, the fully charged batteries are connected and keep the grid alive.

Assuming that there is enough battery reserve to keep the grid alive (whether Tesla car batteries or battery banks) the wind starts up and the sun comes out, the batteries are no longer needed, so are disconnecteed.

Now the situation is, that whatever generation or power source is delivering power, that's coal, oil, gas, nuclear, hydro, biomass,interconnectors, (wind & solar when it works) has to keep the normal load going - AND recharge the disconnected batteries in time to be on standby for the next "no wind- no solar" incident, so it's fingers crossed time!

In other words, what you took out of the batteries you now have to put back in - plus the inefficiences and losses - about 10%.

As Inspector Callahan said in Dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky?"

Batteries seem a wonderful idea, until you consider the above argument.

Substitute hydrogen for batteries in the argument and the result is the same, except there is a much lower efficiency - 60% of the energy employed is wasted so more energy needed to recharge the hydrogen "batteries"

There is no substitute for despatchable base load generation that works when you need it.

Using batteries to prop-up unreliable wind and solar generation raises another problem that never seems to be discussed.

So the wind drops and the sky is cloudy, the fully charged batteries are connected and keep the grid alive.

Assuming that there is enough battery reserve to keep the grid alive (whether Tesla car batteries or battery banks) the wind starts up and the sun comes out, the batteries are no longer needed, so are disconnecteed.

Now the situation is, that whatever generation or power source is delivering power, that's coal, oil, gas, nuclear, hydro, biomass,interconnectors, (wind & solar when it works) has to keep the normal load going - AND recharge the disconnected batteries in time to be on standby for the next "no wind- no solar" incident, so it's fingers crossed time!

In other words, what you took out of the batteries you now have to put back in - plus the inefficiences and losses - about 10%.

As Inspector Callahan said in Dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky?"

Batteries seem a wonderful idea, until you consider the above argument.

Substitute hydrogen for batteries in the argument and the result is the same, except there is a much lower efficiency - 60% of the energy employed is wasted so more energy needed to recharge the hydrogen "batteries"

There is no substitute for despatchable base load generation that works when you need it.

We trade energy with other countries. When there is insufficient energy being generated by our infrastructure, we purchase more. When we have an excess, we sell it. We would only need a perfectly balanced load of we became totally insular.

Non-carbon energy is entirely capable of providing 100% of UK demand - energy generated by wind, solar and biomass - last day 45%, last week 47%, last year 41%.

This is increased from ~13% just 10 years ago. A report on the levelized cost of production puts onshore wind as the cheapest generation method, although this relies upon some complex long term assumptions.

The problem is variable wind - back up capacity could use fossil fuels, EV batteries or central storage. The average EV with a 50kwh battery will provide power for domestic consumption for 3-5 days.

Wind speed and geographic variability should establish whether this could fill the gaps, or whether nuclear should provide a greater share of baseload (IMHO it should).

Continuing to burn fossil fuels as the principle energy source is a complete dead end - it will become more expensive as reserves diminish and leave the UK completely vulnerable to global markets and conflict.

This is not head in the sand bull balls. It is a transition from dinosaur thinking to a sustainable future. It may not be immediately feasible, but delivered over the next 20 years.

Edited by Terry W on 15/03/2024 at 01:35

And now the prospect of electric ambulances looms with the greening of the NHS in full swing

With a claimed range of 100 miles but a real life range of 70 patients may have a long wait as they take an average of four hours to charge.

But I imagine a diesel powered fleet will have to be on hand to deal with rural areas such as Nortfolk.

At £150 k a time I would have thought that the money could be better spent on patient services .

Look forward to the prospect of your 999;call handler telling you that an ambulance will be on its way once it’s been charged !

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - kiss (keep it simple)

There will be plenty of time for them to charge in the queue at A&E

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - galileo

Chargers are not planned to be at hospitals, only at ambulance stations, so waiting at A and E they will use up battery keeping patients warm.

Do you think this or other issues have a) been thought of by the 6-figure-plus salaried green fanatics at the top or b) have been thought of but regarded as insignificant, as they themselves won't be affected by such problems.

Option b seems to be the default mind set of almost all politicians and civil servants, paid by the taxpayer and with gold plated pensions to look forward to.

Chargers are not planned to be at hospitals, only at ambulance stations, so waiting at A and E they will use up battery keeping patients warm.

Do you think this or other issues have a) been thought of by the 6-figure-plus salaried green fanatics at the top or b) have been thought of but regarded as insignificant, as they themselves won't be affected by such problems.

Option b seems to be the default mind set of almost all politicians and civil servants, paid by the taxpayer and with gold plated pensions to look forward to.

There is an Option C whereby somebody who actually knows about it has worked out all of the implications and come up with an approach whereby it's not an issue. It does happen occasionally.

<< Option b seems to be the default mind set of almost all politicians and civil servants, paid by the taxpayer and with gold plated pensions to look forward to. >>

If you want to moan about the financial comfort of politicians and civil servants I think you might include board members of big companies, and quite a few public entertainers, some of whom trouser much larger pay - some of them admittedly with different pension arrangements.

If you are actually grumbling about the quality of the 'work' they do, fine - but tell us how you might achieve better results. Satisfying an electorate is a bit like herding cats I should think.

An MP earns ~£86k. By most standards comfortable - it puts them in the top 5% of earners.

Until you actually look at the figures and realise that there are approximately 1.5m people who earn more Some a huge amount more - the average premier league footballer make £3m pa.

Personally - I would not do an MPs job for the pay - where every action or comment is fertile ground for public criticism, and personal privacy an illusion.

Civil servants arey more anonymous and earn 25-50% of their private sector equivalents (staff, budgets etc). Those doing well are those in nationalised industries - eg: Network Rail, Channel 4, BBC etc where private sector comparators are more obvious.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - RichardW

Due to wind / solar intermittency you need a 100% backup, so it's effectively twice the cost. Ergo there's no point in building any of it. If you want no CO2 generation the only current solution is nuclear - so divert all the money from 'renewables' into nuclear and get building.

Due to wind / solar intermittency you need a 100% backup, so it's effectively twice the cost. Ergo there's no point in building any of it. If you want no CO2 generation the only current solution is nuclear - so divert all the money from 'renewables' into nuclear and get building.

Nuclear is currently so expensive it would be better to retain gas as a back up to wind. It is speculation whether if 20 or 30 nuclear power stations were built, the price per MWH would become competitive.

The best strategy is to have a range of technologies, not become reliant on just one. Ukraine showed how vulnerable gas supplies are to international events (also oil in the 1970s). Chernobyl and Fukushima demonstrate the risks associated with nuclear.

For the UK wind power has limited externalities and environmental risks - just the problem of how to manage wind variability. Finding a solution is a better strategy than denial that any exists.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Ethan Edwards

Exactly so network resilience, which is why Rooftop Solar PV ought to be mandated , if you can't have it for some reason. Eg unsuitable roof say Thatched etc.Then you'd have to apply for an exemption.

I'd also give householders a grant for a generous percentage of any other renewable power generation and home battery storage they may install. Might be people interested in a water turbine for the stream flowing through their property or a mini wind turbine on the roof.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/03/2024 at 17:50

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - expat

Exactly so network resilience, which is why Rooftop Solar PV ought to be mandated , if you can't have it for some reason. Eg unsuitable roof say Thatched etc.Then you'd have to apply for an exemption.

I'd also give householders a grant for a generous percentage of any other renewable power generation and home battery storage they may install. Might be people interested in a water turbine for the stream flowing through their property or a mini wind turbine on the roof.

They could also have it on office buildings in the form of awnings over the windows. Some of those big tower blocks could generate quite a lot of solar energy. Another benefit of that would be that the power would be generated where it is used.

Non-carbon energy is entirely capable of providing 100% of UK demand - energy generated by wind, solar and biomass - last day 45%, last week 47%, last year 41%.

I for one would prefer not to live in a country with double the amount of solar farms and wind farms as now - especially as we all realise that both types of generation are only intermittent. We should do more carbon capture by growing crops we could eat, instead of hoping to import even more (often exotic) food than we do already.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - movilogo

Not sure if this covered in this thread before, but Apple has abandoned their EV venture, after spending $10 billion.

Not sure if this covered in this thread before, but Apple has abandoned their EV venture, after spending $10 billion.

Apple seem to have missed the boat and realise that by the time they launch there will be several other very large capable companies already well established in the EV market.

The market is evidently becoming seriously price competitive as take up of EVs is currently constrained by their high price relative to ICE. Despite having a brand associated with high levels of functionality and quality, they do not do cheap.

A press release this morning states that those with adequate on street parking but no off street parking can apply for a grant of £350 towards a home charge point when used in conjunction with a council approved cross pavement cable solution.
Local Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (LEVI) funding is open to application from local authorities to develop EV charging infrastructure in their areas. That could be, for instance, lamp post charging.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - movilogo

Another EV maker collapsed.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/03/18/electric-l.../

Where am I supposed to buy my electric bin lorry now?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - pd

Fisker have also apparently halted production due to lack of funds.

I don't think it's lack of funds much as they apparently have nearly 5,000 cars in stock. Someo e got a bit over excited with production! There might be a 'strategic partnership, with Nissan on the horizon.

I don't think it's lack of funds much as they apparently have nearly 5,000 cars in stock. Someo e got a bit over excited with production! There might be a 'strategic partnership, with Nissan on the horizon.

Some info here about it:

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/fisker-ocean-p...e

Always happen in new markets - you get some new players - some like Tesla and Chinese companies such as BYD are all doing very well whilst others struggle. Getting into building mass produced cars is hard and expensive as there are plenty of huge companies already doing it with the cash reserves to put into building new production capacity whilst still making money from ICE sales.

I’ll be sad to see the Scenic disappear back to Renault next week.
It’s a superb family car that just happens to be electric (to paraphrase Renault). I’ve sat a combined 13’ of passengers in line astern, and both had head and legroom to spare.
Android Automotive with Google, currently only used by Volvo/Polestar and Renault in Europe is simple and intuitive, and the car’s quiet (obviously) and comfortable - even with 20” wheels.
Efficiency is good (230 miles at motorway speeds between charges) and an easy 300+ miles with mixed motoring.
The Solarbay roof on the Iconic grade will go from transparent to opaque with a voice command - a superb feature.
I’ve done close on 4000 miles in it over the course of just over a month, all without the aid of being able to charge at home. No queuing for public chargers and only one that didn’t want to supply any amps, but that was operator error.
Public charging is, as is well known, expensive, but charging overnight on the correct tariff should give 300 miles for about £6.

Edited by mcb100 on 22/03/2024 at 13:36

The Solarbay roof on the Iconic grade will go from transparent to opaque with a voice command - a superb feature.

May be pessimism on my part, but I'm sceptical about that roof.

All well and good now, but what happens if (when?) it stops working, especially if it is outwith warranty?.

Also, if it stops working, will it be opaque or transparent?. If opaque, more annoying than anything else, but if transparent, well that ain't going to be fun on a family day out in sunny weather!

May be pessimism on my part, but I'm sceptical about that roof.

All well and good now, but what happens if (when?) it stops working, especially if it is outwith warranty?.

Also, if it stops working, will it be opaque or transparent?. If opaque, more annoying than anything else, but if transparent, well that ain't going to be fun on a family day out in sunny weather!

Not unlike most panoramic electric roof blinds (particularly Peugeots) when they inevitably fail...will they fail closed, open, half open, closed and the front and back but open in the middle or just come apart and drop down on your head...

Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience!

Of course being such a luddite, i'm assuming that a physical blind on a car with panoramic roof would be manual..............

:-)

<< Not unlike most panoramic electric roof blinds (particularly Peugeots) when they inevitably fail...will they fail closed, open, half open, closed and the front and back but open in the middle or just come apart and drop down on your head...>>

No real advance then - just a clever (expensive?) electronic toy ....

If it goes opaque at the touch of a button, I suspect it's a big LCD screen rather than a blind. Sometimes used in office windows.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Brit_in_Germany

I'd be more conncerned about the replacement costs if it cracks.

‘ If it goes opaque at the touch of a button, I suspect it's a big LCD screen rather than a blind. Sometimes used in office windows.’

It is. It opacifies in probably (not counted) 12 segments, front to rear. The switch will control it segment by segment, whereas ‘Hey Google’ will do fully transparent, fully opaque, or either front or rear transparent or opaque. As in ‘Hey Google, close front Solarbay’.
It’ll look better in summer - the opaque appearance is exactly the same shade of grey as the sky of an early-spring day in the N-W of England.

With the Mégane E-Tech and now Scenic Renault are getting a good reputation for their EVs although I don't know how many they are actually selling in the UK as they seem a rare sight.

I'm sure the 5 will sell in big numbers if they price it right.

Scenic will be a rare sight as the first customers won’t get cars until July/August.

Watched a video of the new 5 not too long ago and have to say I was disappointed with the packaging.

I tried out a Zoe when looking for our next new car and while I liked how it drove, and the range would have been ample for our needs, rear seat accommodation was poor. Specifically the lack of foot room as there was no way you could get your feet under the front seat, meaning even someone of a modest height like myself (5'9") wouldn't be very comfortable. Very disappointing next to the Suzuki Ignis we had at the time which, despite being over a foot shorter, had way more space for the rear seat occupants.

So a couple of things struck me when thinking about the impending electric R5. One was the simple act of improvement over the car it is (kind of) replacing, so I assumed the rear foot space issue would be addressed. The other thing was the flexibility of a battery layout means it shouldn't be difficult to configure it in such a way as to leave a "footwell". But after watching said video, it appears very much not to be the case, in fact it looked like there was less space between front seat backrest and rear seat cushion as well as there still not being space for rear passengers to slide their feet under the back of the front seats. Surely one of the main plus points of designing an EV is having the ability to maximise interior space within a given footprint?.

I'm not sure if the R5's poor packaging is as a result of trying to keep it looking as close to the concept as possible, cost cutting, poor/lazy design, or some kind of underhand means to push people into bigger cars than they might otherwise want/need (bigger cars = bigger profits). Whatever the reason, its a poor show!

The front seats will be height adjustable to create foot space underneath, but if you’re a driver who wants the seat as low as possible, that’ll cause a compromise.
As mentioned either on this thread or a previous one, it is a common EV theme to give the front seats the ability to go toe crushingly low. Both the Scenic and the Megane have that option.
Scenic has enough rear legroom for it not to be an issue.
I’m not sure how you’d engineer in a footwell when the battery takes up pretty much the entire footprint of the area between the four wheels. You could instead argue that the entire floor area is one large footwell as there’s no need to have a central tunnel to accommodate mechanical gubbins running front to rear.
Tesla, as ever being contrary, have put the Model Y’s front seats on a raised box section, meaning that the one I drove a couple of days gave the impression of being sat on it, rather than in it. Better for rear foot space, but I’d dismiss it because I was sitting too high.
As ever, you can’t please all the people all the time.
I’m firmly of the opinion that the 5 will do for Renault what the 500 did for Fiat, and no one has ever accused the 500 of being the most practical car in the world.

Edited by mcb100 on 23/03/2024 at 10:54

. I’m firmly of the opinion that the 5 will do for Renault what the 500 did for Fiat, and no one has ever accused the 500 of being the most practical car in the world.

It will but only if priced correctly. The 500 did well but the 500e I'm not so sure.

There are always loads of low mileage, 12-18 month old 500e examples popping up at auctions struggling to sell at 50% of their new list which rather suggest FIAT (in the UK anyway) are having to shift them out on short leases and rentals and suffering some pretty horrific depreciation on them to get the numbers up.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - FiestaOwner

Watched a video of the new 5 not too long ago and have to say I was disappointed with the packaging............

I tried out a Zoe when looking for our next new car and while I liked how it drove, and the range would have been ample for our needs, rear seat accommodation was poor. Specifically the lack of foot room as there was no way you could get your feet under the front seat, meaning even someone of a modest height like myself (5'9") wouldn't be very comfortable. Very disappointing next to the Suzuki Ignis we had at the time which, despite being over a foot shorter, had way more space for the rear seat occupants.

So a couple of things struck me when thinking about the impending electric R5. One was the simple act of improvement over the car it is (kind of) replacing, so I assumed the rear foot space issue would be addressed. The other thing was the flexibility of a battery layout means it shouldn't be difficult to configure it in such a way as to leave a "footwell". But after watching said video, it appears very much not to be the case, in fact it looked like there was less space between front seat backrest and rear seat cushion as well as there still not being space for rear passengers to slide their feet under the back of the front seats. Surely one of the main plus points of designing an EV is having the ability to maximise interior space within a given footprint?.

I'm not sure if the R5's poor packaging is as a result of trying to keep it looking as close to the concept as possible, cost cutting, poor/lazy design, or some kind of underhand means to push people into bigger cars than they might otherwise want/need (bigger cars = bigger profits). Whatever the reason, its a poor show!

Saw a video on the new R5 a few weeks ago. Like you, I was so disappointed by the lack of foot space for the rear seat passengers. A car of this size should be able to sit a couple of adults in the rear seats, in reasonable comfort.

Jonny Smith's (Late Brake Show) review (Skip forward about 22 mins to see the rear legroom): youtu.be/CLbV7LB8k2c?feature=shared

Lack of rear foot space under the front seats is common in EVs. In a lot of them the front seats are directly above the battery with the rear "floor" higher than the front foot well.

If memory serves the R5 isn't an all new platform but adapted from existing ones to keep costs down.

I'm pretty certain that people that worry about rear foot well spaces are not Renault's target market for the 5.

Consumers are used to "normally" proportioned cars. So a super-mini or saloon will have a lower profile than an SUV on which it may largely be based.

The challenge facing EV designers is the 9-12cm of battery pack which is fitted under the floor to (a) keep centre of gravity low, (b) maximise battery capacity to meet consumer range aspirations/concerns, maintain the "normal" silhouette.

Inevitably a saloon profile will have reduced cabin height. To accommodate tall drivers the seat needs to sit lower than it would in a conventional car reducing back seat foot space.

SUV style is probably more optimal for EV design, noting that smaller cars will typically be bought by those with a more limited need for 4 full seats.

Has anyone considered the EMF radiation emitted by the two electric motors situated in the front and rear of EVs ?

I believe a tinfoil hat worn by occupants is the best form of protection.

I’m not sure how you’d engineer in a footwell when the battery takes up pretty much the entire footprint of the area between the four wheels. You could instead argue that the entire floor area is one large footwell as there’s no need to have a central tunnel to accommodate mechanical gubbins running front to rear.

The point I was making is that on electric sports or supercars, the battery usually forms a T shape between and behind the front seats in order that they can be as low as possible keeping overall height as low as is expected. With EV batteries being made up of multiple individual cells, there is no need for them to form a square or rectangle shape under the floor. No real problems re a high floor for front seat users as legs are stretched out forwards, but for rear passengers, the only way to free up adequate space is to have a deep footwell along with space under the front seats. I don't see why it isn't feasible to have two rectangle shaped wells under each front seat (maybe 12" x 18"?) freed up to allow this?.

I’m firmly of the opinion that the 5 will do for Renault what the 500 did for Fiat, and no one has ever accused the 500 of being the most practical car in the world.

A couple of points here. First, the 500 is resolutely a city car in terms of dimensions whereas the 5 is much closer in size to a supermini. If the 5's sole aim is as a Mini/500 rival, and there will be a more practical electric Renault supermini alternative fair enough, but I'm not sure that is the case?. Which is why I mention the notion of pushing those who want/need a little more space into a bigger car.

Has anyone considered the EMF radiation emitted by the two electric motors situated in the front and rear of EVs ?

The motors are in a metal structure called a body made of steel and acting like a Faraday cage (partially). i am more worried about fusion reactors which we will see in 40 years time:-)

I expect some have.

Electromotive force radiation - what's that?

www.who.int/health-topics/electromagnetic-fields#t...1

Looks like the WHO have yet to make any comments on this subject but there are several reports from independent authorities who have researched this .

The Ele wectric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - 72 dudes

Looks like the WHO have yet to make any comments on this subject but there are several reports from independent authorities who have researched this .

I doubt Daltrey and Townsend will have much to say on the subject, but they probably won't get fooled again.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Engineer Andy

Given how many supposedly 'independent' bodies (or significant numbers of senior staff) these days are often partly funded at least by the industry they report on (a conflict of interest if eve I heard) or 'interested rich people', that doesn't fill me with confidence.

As is the convention in such discussions, could you please share a link to any research suggesting that this is an issue (other than YouTube, obviously).

Here is one piece of research which I would welcome your views on Adam

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8914635/

So a conflagration of EM radiation and EM field.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - barney100

The date for banning new ice cars has been put back to 2035 as we all know but I reckon it could be put back again. The evs themselves look great to drive but the price and infrastructure and worry about depreciation put most of us off buying one.

‘ Here is one piece of research which I would welcome your views on Adam

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8914635/

Not read the lengthy article in its entirety, but is does seem to be more about public transport (electric buses and trams) than cars, and the conclusion shows more concern for the location of WiFi routers near the driver’s cab.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - SLO76
‘ Here is one piece of research which I would welcome your views on Adam www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8914635/’ Not read the lengthy article in its entirety, but is does seem to be more about public transport (electric buses and trams) than cars, and the conclusion shows more concern for the location of WiFi routers near the driver’s cab.

Almost every bus I’ve driven has non functional Wi-Fi anyway. My previous employer advertised it on the sides of said buses but it never worked, most likely disconnected to save money, along with scrimped maintenance. Some of the buses were in a terrible state.
The last diesel engined Volvo rolled off the production line yesterday (26th), with the brand aiming to be all electric by 2030.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volvo-produces...e

And Xiaomi has taken 50,000 orders for its first EV, £40k and a range of 500 miles.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - FP

The Xiaomi SU7 (its first EV) seems to have many advanced technical features, both in the design of their batteries and motors.

Among other things, they claim a maximum range of 435 miles, with a charge time of 15 minutes giving 317 miles; also 0-100km/h (= 0-62 mph) acceleration in 2.78 seconds, top speed 265 km/h (165 mph). I imagine such extreme performance will be limited if and when the first sales hit the road and we all know that manufacturers' figures don't reflect the real world, but still...

Clearly they are taking aim at Tesla.

And Xiaomi has taken 50,000 orders for its first EV, £40k and a range of 500 miles.

Bet it's not 500 miles in winter or spring or autumn.

It’s having a stone cold battery that helps to kill range in cold weather.
Luckily, there’s a solution - as the car preconditions whilst plugged into the mains, meaning it’s toasty warm and defrosted as you finish your breakfast, it’s also warming the battery. Making it more efficient. Lights, wipers, etc, take very little from the range.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - Chris M

Not trying to stoke the EV fire debate...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66866327

There are a few points in the article that I hadn't realised e.g. EVs can reignite up to 2-3 weeks later.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - corax

Not trying to stoke the EV fire debate...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66866327

Quote from the report.

"It also recommended car parks increased the spacing between electric vehicles to reduce the risk of fires spreading between vehicles."

So less capacity while the number of cars goes up.

Well that’s a nicely balanced article, isn’t it?
The thoughts of one man, with no evidence offered either pro or contrary.
That could have come from the Daily Mail (or similar).
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 7 - FP

It's unfortunate that the tabloids pursue readership numbers by any means possible and rely on cheap sensationalism. Any topic will do, whether it's the Royal Family, politics, or in this case EVs. As most drivers don't own one, but are faced with the prospect of eventually having to switch to one, it's easy to pitch articles that provoke fear and dislike and make it part of some agenda in which the powers-that-be are oppressing the poor citizen.

It's a pity the BBC article just feeds into that narrative. The reference to the fire at Luton Airport is misleading, as, after initial claims that an EV caused it, it was established that it was an electrical fault in an ICE vehicle. The article points this out - and then says EV was involved, which technically it may have been, if the spread of the fire affected an EV.

I really don't get this anti-EV stuff.

"And while Mr Maher stresses EV fires are rare, they pose a challenge quite unlike a conventionally fuelled vehicle fire."

"What exactly this means for fire services is unclear, however - not least because of the paucity of available data."

"When the BBC asked every fire service in the UK how many EV fires they had dealt with in the past three years, none could provide a reliable answer because they do not distinguish them from other types of vehicle fires."

"...while car fires were "less likely to occur" in EVs than in hybrid, petrol or diesel vehicles..."

Anti EV? Which article are you reading?

Just published online (it’s available as a free download) is ‘The Little Book of EV Myths’, which, over 16 pages, debunks the most common anti-EV FUD.

media.rac.co.uk/documents/faircharge-little-book-o...6

Whenever technology or social structures change, emergency services (amongst others) need to work out how to respond.

There were similar debates over fire safety in tower blocks (obviously not resolved), yet fire safety in coal mines is probably decades out of date.

Others worried about response to terrorist incidents (IRA and now other extremists), containerisation, internet access by kiddies, dealing with online abuse and bullying etc etc etc.

Failing to provide answers (there are some that are not known) simply ratchets up negative feelings. It's why politicians create an illusion of ideas and progress - even if they have none and are going nowhere.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68700768

Further proof if any further proof were needed.

;)

Edited by Chris M on 30/03/2024 at 21:17

That’s classed as an ‘EV fire’ for recording purposes.
As are cheap electric scooters and e-bikes from unheard of manufacturers.

This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 8 *****

Edited by Xileno on 31/03/2024 at 11:51